• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

Ebenezer Scrooge would be proud. I first heard this on Thom Hartmann's radio show. It is sad that Republicans would get behind this while advocating hundreds of billions in tax breaks for the upper 2%.

You know, it's funny; Congress is still controlled by Democrats who don't need Republican help to pass this thing. It failed, so . . .

You know, it's funny; Congress is still controlled by Democrats who don't need Republican help to pass this thing. It failed, so . . .

From the article

Democrats brought the measure to the floor under fast-track rules that required a two-thirds vote to pass, so the measure fell despite winning a 258-154 majority.

If you read the linked article Harshaw you would have discovered the reason why it is the fault of the GOP despite the current make up of the body.

Democrats brought the measure to the floor under fast-track rules that required a two-thirds vote to pass, so the measure fell despite winning a 258-154 majority. Republicans blasted the move since it denied them an opportunity to try to offset its cost.

I see that KS posted this also.

"Democrats brought the measure to the floor under fast-track rules that required a two-thirds vote to pass, so the measure fell despite winning a 258-154 majority."

Use of the fast track procedure in the lame duck session was nothing more than a political stunt designed to make leftists look good. The Democrats knew the proposed legislation was doomed, but brought it up anyway in a lame duck session where time is of the essence. This is nothing more than guerrilla theatre.

No one made them go fast-track with it. :shrug: They set the legislative agenda. Everyone knew when these things expired. This could have been handled a while ago with a majority vote.

This, of course, is 100% accepting the idea that it should have been extended, giving no consideration to any arguments why it shouldn't be.

Fact is, if the Democrats wanted it, then they could have had it, and blaming everything that fails on the minority is just plain lame. Which, I have no doubt, is one of the reasons why a lot of them will be unemployed themselves in January.

Well it looks like the House Dems finally learned something from the GOP. Its not about laws or people or the nation but rather the most important thing is making your opponent look bad. Thanks for the lesson Republicans. We hope to see more of it in the future.

Well it looks like the House Dems finally learned something from the GOP. Its not about laws or people or the nation but rather the most important thing is making your opponent look bad. Thanks for the lesson Republicans. We hope to see more of it in the future.

Good God; even when scolding Democrats, Republicans are STILL to blame. :roll:

Clearly, it only make republicans look bad to those that happen to catch a blurb or two from the LSM. People, as evidenced here in this thread, that actualy understand what happened, are not fooled, nor are they swayed.

Harshaw brings upa good piont though. The central point of whether extending the benefits is a good idea, was not even debated on the floor. 99 weeks for unemployment insurance? Seriously?

Tim-

"Democrats brought the measure to the floor under fast-track rules that required a two-thirds vote to pass, so the measure fell despite winning a 258-154 majority."

Use of the fast track procedure in the lame duck session was nothing more than a political stunt designed to make leftists look good. The Democrats knew the proposed legislation was doomed, but brought it up anyway in a lame duck session where time is of the essence. This is nothing more than guerrilla theatre.

This.... in spades.

from Hicup

Clearly, it only make republicans look bad to those that happen to catch a blurb or two from the LSM. People, as evidenced here in this thread, that actualy understand what happened, are not fooled, nor are they swayed.

So how many people is that exactly?

Finally a good move.

Liberals start now and you can cry me a river.

Here is Pelosi either showing that she's a total fool, retarded, a dumb ass or my vote which is all three.
[video]Pelosi: Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs - [/video]

I believe people seriously look for work just before benefits run out.

I think it's time to hold Obama and the current Congress responsible for wasting nearly $787 billion dollars to create a net ZERO jobs while continuing to lose millions.

Congrats to the "Trifecta of Doom," Obama, Pelosi, Reid, and the rest of the "Blame America Firsters," for all the waste.

From now one they will be called "Firsters" by me and they will remain last in my book and always hold a place as Anti-Americans.

Let the name calling begin.

Last edited:
House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits - Politics - Capitol Hill - msnbc.com

okay, your thoughts.

republicans are going to have tough pub with this one........deserved or undeserved.

my thoughts:

1. the fact that they are only blocking this so that it can be paid for hardly puts them in opposition to unemployment benefits.

2. i wish they were. extending unemployment benefits at this point only extends unemployment

3. that being said, there is one big giant silver lining to a 8-9%-ish unemployment rate come November 2012. I'll have to comfort myself with that.

Good for the Republicans.......Unemployment is tax payer money and is not a bottomless pit....This **** has been going on for 2 years.....Maybe some of these free loaders will get off their lazy ass and get a job now...............

Good for the Republicans.......Unemployment is tax payer money and is not a bottomless pit....This **** has been going on for 2 years.....Maybe some of these free loaders will get off their lazy ass and get a job now...............

There are a lot more unemployed than there are job openings. What do you think the others should do? Rob a bank?

From the article

Democrats brought the measure to the floor under fast-track rules that required a two-thirds vote to pass, so the measure fell despite winning a 258-154 majority.

Why did they fast track it, knowing they would need a 2/3 vote? Playing political games, perhaps?

There are a lot more unemployed than there are job openings. What do you think the others should do? Rob a bank?

If the government would get the hell out of the way, those numbers would flip-flop.

If the government would get the hell out of the way, those numbers would flip-flop.

The government was out of the way from 2001 to 2008 and look where that got us.

Generally speaking, I think it can probably be proven that the longer the benefits last, the longer the beneficiaries take to find gainful employment. I would bet a dollar to a donut that if the teat went dry the unemployment percentages would drop.

I know that I was reading something a while back about how one country, I'm wanting to say Norway, cut unemployment extensions and people went back to work much faster than they did when they had years and years of unemployment benefits. I'll try to find that link.

One thing for sure, it's just human nature to try and ride the cash cow when/if you can. A poor guy working all week just to bring home 500.00 bucks probably wouldn't mind taking a two year vacation, making only 150.00 bucks a week less than he would make busting his ass. Got no link for that but it's just common sense to me. I don't need a link to tell me it's raining outside.

I'm all for helping out a man down on his luck. But this is just freakin' rediculous.

Last edited:
The government was out of the way from 2001 to 2008 and look where that got us.

LOL...from 2001 to 2008, I was working and making money.

Tell us, how well has the government done at fixing the economy? It's been what? Three years and 8 million jobs and still no light at the end of the tunnel? Yeah! Keep trying to blame Bush. That's not going to gitcha very far.

Tell us, how well has the government done at fixing the economy? It's been what? Three years and 8 million jobs and still no light at the end of the tunnel? Yeah! Keep trying to blame Bush. That's not going to gitcha very far.

It's not really worth rehasing this again with someone who thinks government-spent money somehow just magically vanishes.

It's not really worth rehasing this again with someone who thinks government-spent money somehow just magically vanishes.

LOL...ok. Where is it?

You're right.The recession started with Obama.
You do know why the economy was booming, right? We were building millions of homes for people that couldn't afford them yet, the government was doubling the debt and interest rates were approaching zero. Great job Bush.

Last edited:
You're right.The recession started with Obama.
You do know why the economy was booming, right? We were building millions of homes for people that couldn't afford them yet, the government was doubling the debt and interest rates were approaching zero. Great job Bush.

How many oilfield jobs did Obama kill, when he lied about the recommendtions of his commission? How did intentionally killing jobs, introducing more higher taxes on businesses, spending more than a trillion dollars on shovel ready projects--that didn't exist--has helped end the recession?

Back
Top Bottom