• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Dems plan to bring up five-week funding bill to end shutdown

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

105645488-1545661399113rtx6jl6d.530x298.jpg

12/31/18
House Democrats plan to bring up legislation to end the partial government shutdown that would extend current spending levels for border security through Feb. 8, a senior Democratic aide said Monday. Border security funding would remain at $1.3 billion, much lower than the $5 billion called for by the White House, under the continuing resolution (CR), which would provide full-year funding for the other six spending bills that have expired, following bipartisan Senate legislation, The Washington Post first reported on Monday. Democrats are slated to take back control of the lower chamber later this week, with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) expected to regain the Speaker's gavel on Thursday. On day 10 of the partial government shutdown, talks between President Trump and Democratic leaders remain stalled. Top Democrats have said they won't go beyond the $1.3 billion in border funding, while the president said he's unwilling to support legislation that doesn't provide ample funding for his wall along the southern border.

As I previously forecast, the Pelosi House will pass measures on January 3 or 4 to reopen the US government. Current levels of spending for border security would remain the same until February 8.

The first question is, will GOP Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell put the Pelosi House legislation to a Senate vote? He previously said that he would if assured that House legislation can obtain 60 Senate votes.

Another question is will McConnell allow a Senate vote on any Pelosi House legislation that he believes Trump will not sign? That is an unknown. McConnell has been coy about this facet.

But the government shutdown is about to get very public concerning political positions. The House will pass legislation to end the government shutdown.

The onus then will be first on Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell, and then squarely on President Donald Trump. I suppose it boils down to this.....

Do most Americans want the government shutdown to end the soonest, or is America content with the shutdown until Trump gets his wall?

Anyone who thinks that our current funding of border security and interior immigration law enforcement is getting the job done adequately should vote for the Pelosi plan - anyone who does not should vote against it. I would prefer McConnell allow a Senate vote to the current nonsense of not allowing a vote if a bill is not expected to pass or is expected to be vetoed if passed.

In other words Pelosi is just performing a political stunt as CNN would call it when a Republican house did something similar when Obama was in office.

The last argument trump supporters had for blaming Democrats went up in smoke with McConnell's statement.

McConnell has already said the Senate won't take up the bill.

"It’s simple: The Senate is not going to send something to the President that he won’t sign."

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1079778060591865856

Is that McConnell speaking or somebody else? Frankly, I have never liked the idea of the Senate not taking up a bill sent to them from the House simply based on the idea that the President would not sign it. You send the bill to the President's desk which is the only way to know for sure if the President will sign it or not. No wonder we have utterly stalemated government. Nobody is doing their jobs. It is not McConnell's job to "divine" what the President will or will not sign. If anything Christmas week should have proven that to Mitchy-poo. You put the damned thing on his desk and then you no longer have to wonder what he will or won't do!

Is that McConnell speaking or somebody else? Frankly, I have never liked the idea of the Senate not taking up a bill sent to them from the House simply based on the idea that the President would not sign it. You send the bill to the President's desk which is the only way to know for sure if the President will sign it or not. No wonder we have utterly stalemated government. Nobody is doing their jobs. It is not McConnell's job to "divine" what the President will or will not sign. If anything Christmas week should have proven that to Mitchy-poo. You put the damned thing on his desk and then you no longer have to wonder what he will or won't do!

McConnell is bull****ting. I don't mean that he intends to take up the House's bill, but he's bull****ting about the reason for not taking up the bill. McConnell is the biggest hack in politics, worse even than Trump himself.

Pretty fascinating that the Republicans are waiting until the Democrats officially take back the House to even attempt to end the tRump Shutdown.

It's as if political games are more important to them than, well, governing.

This^

McConnell would in fact be running political cover for Trump. This stance transfers the shutdown onus from Trump to McConnell.

Does McConnell really want to share shutdown responsibility with Trump? Why deny Senators the opportunity to vote? This is why government is dysfunctional.

Send the legislation to Trump and force him to officially agree/refuse to reopen the government. Let him take official and undeniable responsibility for the shutdown he claimed was his.....

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you (Democrats) for it.”

McConnell is bull****ting. I don't mean that he intends to take up the House's bill, but he's bull****ting about the reason for not taking up the bill. McConnell is the biggest hack in politics, worse even than Trump himself.

IDK if one can say that Bitch McConnell is Washington's number one hack, but damn if he doesn't make the top 3 with ease.

IDK if one can say that Bitch McConnell is Washington's number one hack, but damn if he doesn't make the top 3 with ease.

I dare you to name one person who's a bigger hack than McConnell.

I dare you to name one person who's a bigger hack than McConnell.

Hmm, I'll bite. What would you list as reasons that he's a bigger hack than our flip-flopping, ****-tweeting, colluded and compromised joke of a president?

The last argument trump supporters had for blaming Democrats went up in smoke with McConnell's statement.

Could care less about placing blame. Care only about results. Something politicians and partisans on both sides have little interest in. Both sides want a "win" whatever that means in their petty minds.

Could care less about placing blame. Care only about results. Something politicians and partisans on both sides have little interest in. Both sides want a "win" whatever that means in their petty minds.

Except that you had just attempted to lay blame with Pelosi.

Hmm, I'll bite. What would you list as reasons that he's a bigger hack than our flip-flopping, ****-tweeting, colluded and compromised joke of a president?

Trump is a chaos monster. Calling him a hack suggests that he has a discipline and a focused goal.

In other words Pelosi is just performing a political stunt as CNN would call it when a Republican house did something similar when Obama was in office.

Actually Pelosi is putting sending the same bill to the Senate that they passed on a voice vote just a week or more ago. It is political, as it will once again, as the President said himself, this is a Trump shutdown and if the Senate and Trump object, then it will be all on their shoulders.

Pretty fascinating that the Republicans are waiting until the Democrats officially take back the House to even attempt to end the tRump Shutdown.

It's as if political games are more important to them than, well, governing.

The Ryan era has truly been a waste of everyone's time.

Except that you had just attempted to lay blame with Pelosi.

No I blamed here not for the showdown. Rather for hoisting a phony bill she knows will not pass. Try comprehending what is written before going on your baseless partisan attacks we have come to know and love.

I’d be more impressed if they came up with a budget to cover the remainder of the fiscal year since the Republicans failed at that basic task.

No I blamed here not for the showdown. Rather for hoisting a phony bill she knows will not pass. Try comprehending what is written before going on your baseless partisan attacks we have come to know and love.

I have to assume that since Pelosi has served in the House for 31 years she knows how to create a real bill rather than a stack of empty pages with "Congress bill" written in crayon on the cover page. So I'm assuming that the bill is real, and as McConnell has already said he would block it the onus is on him. But good luck making the case to the public that this is the Democrats' fault after they tried to re-open government and Republicans all said "no."

McConnell has already said the Senate won't take up the bill.

"It’s simple: The Senate is not going to send something to the President that he won’t sign."

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1079778060591865856

So then, it's the Trump/McConnell shutdown. That works. Politically, I think Trump has a losing hand.

He's basically trying to get his way buy holding the paychecks of government workers hostage.

I believed McConnell was more politically astute than this. But if he wants to share responsibility for the government remaining closed, then it's also on him.

He can also explain to the furloughed government workers why his Senate is dysfunctional.

So then, it's the Trump/McConnell shutdown. That works. Politically, I think Trump has a losing hand.

He's basically trying to get his way buy holding the paychecks of government workers hostage.

I believed McConnell was more politically astute than this. But if he wants to share responsibility for the government remaining closed, then it's also on him.

He can also explain to the furloughed government workers why his Senate is dysfunctional.

They're all in bubble land. Fox News tells them they're doing great so they assume it must be true. Meanwhile, everybody outside that bubble feels just a little more disgust for the GOP every day.

105645488-1545661399113rtx6jl6d.530x298.jpg

As I previously forecast, the Pelosi House will pass measures on January 3 or 4 to reopen the US government. Current levels of spending for border security would remain the same until February 8.

The first question is, will GOP Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell put the Pelosi House legislation to a Senate vote? He previously said that he would if assured that House legislation can obtain 60 Senate votes.

Another question is will McConnell allow a Senate vote on any Pelosi House legislation that he believes Trump will not sign? That is an unknown. McConnell has been coy about this facet.

But the government shutdown is about to get very public concerning political positions. The House will pass legislation to end the government shutdown.

The onus then will be first on Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell, and then squarely on President Donald Trump. I suppose it boils down to this.....

Do most Americans want the government shutdown to end the soonest, or is America content with the shutdown until Trump gets his wall?

The Democrats can't pass anything before the 20th.

Back
Top Bottom