• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Dems plan to bring up five-week funding bill to end shutdown

i'm fine with a compromise that doesn't give anything to the ego wall either directly or indirectly. they should hold the line on that issue.

The Democrats can't pass anything before the 20th.

Why the 20th? Admittedly, it's going to take a day or two to elect the Speaker, pass the rules and do committee assignments, etc.... but they should be able to pass a basic CR within the first week or so.

Why the 20th? Admittedly, it's going to take a day or two to elect the Speaker, pass the rules and do committee assignments, etc.... but they should be able to pass a basic CR within the first week or so.

There's no way they'll get their **** together any quicker. Hell, they don't swear in until the 5th, so the 3rd, or the 4th is out of the question.

House Dems plan to bring up five-week funding bill to end shutdown

105645488-1545661399113rtx6jl6d.530x298.jpg

As I previously forecast, the Pelosi House will pass measures on January 3 or 4 to reopen the US government. Current levels of spending for border security would remain the same until February 8.

The first question is, will GOP Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell put the Pelosi House legislation to a Senate vote? He previously said that he would if assured that House legislation can obtain 60 Senate votes.

Another question is will McConnell allow a Senate vote on any Pelosi House legislation that he believes Trump will not sign? That is an unknown. McConnell has been coy about this facet.

But the government shutdown is about to get very public concerning political positions. The House will pass legislation to end the government shutdown.

The onus then will be first on Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell, and then squarely on President Donald Trump. I suppose it boils down to this.....

Do most Americans want the government shutdown to end the soonest, or is America content with the shutdown until Trump gets his wall?

And what does this accomplish? We will just be right back where we are on February 8.

McConnell is bull****ting. I don't mean that he intends to take up the House's bill, but he's bull****ting about the reason for not taking up the bill. McConnell is the biggest hack in politics, worse even than Trump himself.

I don't know how the Republicans keep putting up with him, to tell you the truth.... credit where credit is due, McConnell is an excellent obstructionist. If you've got a President from the other party in office - like Obama - nobody can stymie then more than McConnell. But he didn't get the nickname "Turtle" just for his looks.... he's hopeless at actually getting things passed. I would have figured he'd outlived his usefulness as Majority Leader the second Trump got elected and they would have put in someone who can actually get things done... like John Thune, for instance.

I was actually waiting for them to sandbag him the same way the Bush Administration sandbagged Trent Lott (too independent) so he could get the more compliant Bill Frist in there as Senate leader.

Doubt it.

Of course, it'll take a 2/3 vote of the House to expedite it and agree to suspend the rules and pass it.

But I'm sure House Republicans aren't going to want to obstruct a reasonable short-term bill to pass as a sign of bipartisanship.... wouldn't you agree? :)

I don't know how the Republicans keep putting up with him, to tell you the truth.... credit where credit is due, McConnell is an excellent obstructionist. If you've got a President from the other party in office - like Obama - nobody can stymie then more than McConnell. But he didn't get the nickname "Turtle" just for his looks.... he's hopeless at actually getting things passed. I would have figured he'd outlived his usefulness as Majority Leader the second Trump got elected and they would have put in someone who can actually get things done... like John Thune, for instance.

I was actually waiting for them to sandbag him the same way the Bush Administration sandbagged Trent Lott (too independent) so he could get the more compliant Bill Frist in there as Senate leader.

Did you laugh when McConnell talked about bipartisanship after losing the house. As if the GOP has ever even tried to get Dems on board for the past ten years.

Did you laugh when McConnell talked about bipartisanship after losing the house. As if the GOP has ever even tried to get Dems on board for the past ten years.

Yeah, that was a little rich... to be fair, though, I don't really give either party stellar marks for bipartisanship lately...for the Democrats to look down at the Republicans is kind of like the "D" student taunting the "F" student about how much better his grades are.

Still, though, I can't help thinking there's a comprehensive deal there to be had on immigration. What if we took the money that the President wants to put into the "Wall" and invest it into more flexible high-tech solutions? We could do around-the-clock aerial surveillance of the border. We could do more biometric monitoring. E-Verify and all the rest.

On the other side of the token, though, we also need to recognize that we need more immigration into this country. We've got 160 million people in our Labor Force and we're out there everyday competing with China's 800 million and India's 500 million and the EU's 230 million. What keeps us on top is our technological edge... but it's the information age - technology flows now more easily than it ever did before... and that flow is eroding our edge. If we're going to keep our place in the world - and not end up a second-rate power - we need more people out there working and producing and consuming... that's what makes an economy tick. I look at these people leaving their homes in Guatemala and Nicaragua and Mexico and heading north in hope of a better life... they're gambling everything on the faintest chance of a possibility of becoming a part of our society. To me, these are the kind of people on which this country was built.

I don't know... it seems to me that Bush had a pretty good bipartisan immigration deal in 2007. Obama had a pretty good bipartisan immigration deal in 2013. Why can't we take the best features out of both of those plans and come up with an even better deal that actually passes in 2019? Third time is a charm, right?

Back
Top Bottom