• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Democrats to pass plan to reopen government Thursday

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Boom... right out of the gates on day one. But as a trumper noted the other day... Pelosi was in Hawai'i eating food so she doesn't care enough about trump's government shutdown.

House Democratic leaders have settled on a legislative strategy to reopen the government, with votes expected on proposals just hours after the party takes control on Thursday, a Democratic aide confirms to CNN.

The Democrats plan to vote on a bipartisan package of six Senate spending bills and a stopgap measure to re-open the Department of Homeland Security at its current funding levels until February 8, the aide said. The temporary measure would maintain the current $1.3 billion in border security money, which can be used for fencing and repairs of current barriers.​

Boom... right out of the gates on day one. But as a trumper noted the other day... Pelosi was in Hawai'i eating food so she doesn't care enough about trump's government shutdown.

House Democratic leaders have settled on a legislative strategy to reopen the government, with votes expected on proposals just hours after the party takes control on Thursday, a Democratic aide confirms to CNN.

The Democrats plan to vote on a bipartisan package of six Senate spending bills and a stopgap measure to re-open the Department of Homeland Security at its current funding levels until February 8, the aide said. The temporary measure would maintain the current $1.3 billion in border security money, which can be used for fencing and repairs of current barriers.​

Yep, the demorats who insisted that they were for better (as in increased?) border security are offering a "compromise" that offers absolutely no increase in border security whatsoever. Who ever saw that coming?

Yep, the demorats who insisted that they were for better (as in increased?) border security are offering a "compromise" that offers absolutely no increase in border security whatsoever. Who ever saw that coming?

This isn't a compromise, it's reopening the government so we stop hurting people while further negotiations occur.

Negotiations on Homeland Security and border security funding would continue until February 8, providing over a month to hammer out a bipartisan compromise.

The rest of the US government would be fully funded until September 2019 when the government fiscal year ends. Government workers would go back to their jobs.

I see nothing inherently wrong with this legislative proposal.

This isn't a compromise, it's reopening the government so we stop hurting people while further negotiations occur.

Those "negotiations" were due before the start of the fiscal year. Kicking the can down the road until February 8 is moving (avoifing?) the problem - not resolving it. As I said before, the demorats have assured us, for months, that they were for better (imporved or increased?) border security - why not present their plan now? I suspect that the reality of the matter is that there never was any such intent and therfore no plan for it ever existed or is "coming soon" after February 8.

It, of course, will be rejected by the Senate republicans, and if it does indeed pass, it will get vetoed by Trump.

Why won't the democrat's appropriate 5 billion for border security?

They are playing with the border security of our nation.
It's real easy 5 billion and there could be a deal.

Why won't the democrat's appropriate 5 billion for border security?

They are playing with the border security of our nation.
It's real easy 5 billion and there could be a deal.

It's not for 'border security'; it's a useless campaign prop in the form of a fantasy 'wall'. Conflating the two is essential to the false narrative Trump uses to fool suckers and rubes and I can see that in some cases it's working as designed.

You are confusing him with factual information that is unrelated to what he heard on Fox.

Negotiations on Homeland Security and border security funding would continue until February 8, providing over a month to hammer out a bipartisan compromise.

The rest of the US government would be fully funded until September 2019 when the government fiscal year ends. Government workers would go back to their jobs.

I see it as a complete lie that demorats were, are or ever will be for better border security - if the can is kicked down the road a bit farther (the 'budget bills are 4 months late already) then it lessens (removes?) the pressure to "negotiate". Pelosi has already promised absolutely no "wall" funding ever - to kid yourself into thinking that was mere posturing is ridiculous.

Why won't the democrat's appropriate 5 billion for border security?.

If by “border security” you mean the wall, it’s because they don’t need to. Per trump himself:

“Mexico is paying for the Wall through the new USMCA Trade Deal. Much of the Wall has already been fully renovated or built. We have done a lot of work. $5.6 Billion Dollars that House has approved is very little in comparison to the benefits of National Security. Quick payback!”

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1080457560291987457?s=21

Those "negotiations" were due before the start of the fiscal year. Kicking the can down the road until February 8 is moving (avoifing?) the problem - not resolving it. As I said before, the demorats have assured us, for months, that they were for better (imporved or increased?) border security - why not present their plan now? I suspect that the reality of the matter is that there never was any such intent and therfore no plan for it ever existed or is "coming soon" after February 8.

They did present their plans ... $1.6 Billion in border security improvements which was in the bipartisan funding legislation the Senate unanimously passed 100-0.

They did present their plans ... $1.6 Billion in border security improvements which was in the bipartisan funding legislation the Senate unanimously passed 100-0.

According to three people present at the Trump / Congressional leaders meeting yesterday, Chuck Schumer asked Trump three times why he wouldn't sign legislation ending the partial shutdown of 6 Cabinet departments, thus putting most of the furloughed federal employees back to work. After the third Schumer inquiry, Trump responded: "Because I'd look foolish."

wtf?

I give 'em points for an excited run out of the gate and a big show of how they will pretend to get anything done the next couple years! I wish we had higher standards and all, but a pretense at actually doing something is more than I had expected, even if it is far less than I had hoped (read: actually doing a damn thing).

Let's just hope these shows from Trump and the new guys don't take too long before someone gives up and actually makes a deal by accident. It's a dream, but we hope for the best.

Knowing full well that the bill would never get past senate or Trump, it's easy to throw any old thing out there. Let's hope it at least starts discussion that might end in another continuing resolution as we dream of a real budget.

According to three people present at the Trump / Congressional leaders meeting yesterday, Chuck Schumer asked Trump three times why he wouldn't sign legislation ending the partial shutdown of 6 Cabinet departments, thus putting most of the furloughed federal employees back to work. After the third Schumer inquiry, Trump responded: "Because I'd look foolish."

wtf?

Too late.

Knowing full well that the bill would never get past senate or Trump, it's easy to throw any old thing out there.

No one knows what could be passed by the Senate because McConnell won't allow Senators to vote on funding legislation unless he is sure Trump will sign it.

I thought Sen. McConnell worked for the people. But it's obvious these days that he works exclusively for Trump.

Wow! $300K more than the normal annual border security appropriation which we all know did not accomplish securing the border. That ought to git-r-done for sure. Of course, the new Pelosi backed CR is back to $1.3B so even the token gesture of $300K of increased border security funding is now being removed. Trump and the republicants in the Senate are sure to go for that 'deal'.

2 issues:

1. What input to the new members who are only now taking office have on the process?
2. I was looking for a site to confirm this, but "Once a Congress adjourns, however, at the end of its two-year cycle, all bills that have been introduced in either the House or the Senate that have not made it through the entire legislative process and signed into law are dead."

There is no Senate Bill that I'm aware for the House to approve.

........Pelosi plans to introduce and pass the same funding bill that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) shepherded through the Senate by voice vote two weeks ago — which happens to not include funding for Trump’s wall!

By passing this bill in the Senate but blocking it in the House on Trump’s order, Republicans boxed themselves in. They cannot easily claim that their own bill they just voted for in the Senate is soft on border security. Nor can they pin the blame on Pelosi for not retaking up the alternative House bill that included Trump’s wall funding, because that bill was rejected by the Senate......

https://www.alternet.org/2019/01/he...ap-mitch-mcconnell-using-his-own-legislation/

:lol:

What are trump and the GOP offering in the way of “compromise?”

Only one thing wrong, Trump won’t sign it and democrats don’t have the numbers to overturn his veto. But CNN is doing a good job keeping your hopes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they are offering 5 billion in wall spending.

My question was, what are they offering in the way of a compromise? Sticking with trump’s demand is not compromise. Trump’s fans are, essentially, demanding that Dems capitulate and give him everything he demands without getting anything in return.

No one knows what could be passed by the Senate because McConnell won't allow Senators to vote on funding legislation unless he is sure Trump will sign it.

I thought Sen. McConnell worked for the people. But it's obvious these days that he works exclusively for Trump.

What could be passed or not is pretty obvious. Idiots are sticking to party lines just like the last 20 years.

McConnell will always slavishly stick with the far right, even alt. There really was never much hope he would cross any isles, even within his own party. Trump threw down the gauntlet on the budget. It was a stupid move and he handled it badly (big shock). Problem is that now the parties will align and vote as a group. This shutdown could have serious legs.

Personally, I don't support the wall, but at this point, I'd rather see the dems give in and gear up for a big 2 year battle than start playing games on day 1.

What are trump and the GOP offering in the way of “compromise?”

Nothing which is exactly what the party having both a House and Senate majority and the sitting POTUS normally does. Now that the House majority has flipped, the Senate republicants should raise their bid (demand?) from $5B to $10B making a 50/50 (meet in the middle?) compromise with the demorat House (who wanted $0) arrive back at the $5B level.

Back
Top Bottom