• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Democrats probe how Jared Kushner got security clearance

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Congressional oversight of the Executive Branch begins. Those who've only experienced the United States during the Trump administration can be forgiven for assuming that oversight is not a Congressional power.

The House Oversight Committee is launching an investigation into the White House security clearance process, an inquiry that promises to put a spotlight on how President Donald Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, overcame concerns to gain access to highly classified information.

"The Committee on Oversight and Reform is launching an in-depth investigation of the security clearance process at the White House and Transition Team in response to grave breaches of national security at the highest levels of the Trump administration," Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, the chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Reform, said in a letter to the White House obtained by NBC News.

Cummings' letter seeks information about reports of security clearance issues involving multiple current and former officials, including:

• Senior adviser to the president Jared Kushner

• National security adviser John Bolton

• Former national security adviser Michael Flynn

• Flynn's son, Michael Flynn Jr.

• Former deputy national security adviser K.T. McFarland

• Former White House staff secretary Robert Porter

• Former National Security Council senior director Robin Townley

• Trump's former personal assistant, John McEntee

• Former deputy assistant to the president Sebastian Gorka

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...-jared-kushner-got-security-clearance-n961721

Congressional oversight of the Executive Branch begins. Those who've only experienced the United States during the Trump administration can be forgiven for assuming that oversight is not a Congressional power.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...-jared-kushner-got-security-clearance-n961721

This investigation appears to be a waste of taxpayer money in light of the facts that.....

Kushner’s permanent clearance was granted by career White House and intelligence officials after the completion of his FBI background check, according to a person familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation. This person confirmed that Kushner was granted a top-secret clearance, a level he had previously held on an interim basis.

Current and former law enforcement officials said it would be very unusual for someone to get a full security clearance if there were an ongoing criminal investigation that had the potential to result in charges for that person.

Mark Zaid, a lawyer who specializes in security clearance issues for government employees, said the decision — absent any new facts coming out — “is a very positive sign for Kushner that he is substantively in the clear with the special counsel’s office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a57fae-5eb6-11e8-9ee3-49d6d4814c4c_story.html

You have, but I can assure you that I am on topic.

Probably not, but I haven't even focused on this thread, I meant to respond to another and did, but you're rarely doing anything but defending TRump.:roll:

This investigation appears to be a waste of taxpayer money in light of the facts that.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a57fae-5eb6-11e8-9ee3-49d6d4814c4c_story.html

Compared to the $5b Trump and his supporters want to spend on a useless wall, to those that have heard of a ladder or shovel...

this is an extremely small amount of money to spend to ensure the integrity of the security clearance program, and should be important to anyone who thinks the security of the USA is an important objective. ie those who constantly talk about border security.

Last edited:
Probably not, but I haven't even focused on this thread, I meant to respond to another and did, but you're rarely doing anything but defending TRump.:roll:

Do you do anything but attack Trump?

The thread is not personally about me.

Compared to the $5b Trump and his supporters want to spend on a useless wall, to those that have heard of a ladder or shovel...

this is an extremely small amount of money to spend to ensure the integrity of the security clearance program, and to anyone who thinks the security of the USA is an important objective.

The thread is not about border security, immigration funding, or Trump.

Oh, dear. You seem to have utterly missed the point.

Investigations are about finding facts, and there are a lot of very odd things about how he got it, and what he was privy to before getting it. He was formerly stripped of his clearance, and then, somehow, got it back. This, for a guy who amended his financial disclosure forms over 40 times.

This investigation is entirely justified, but I can understand how some people would be compelled to pretend that it wasn't.

Oh, dear. You seem to have utterly missed the point.

Investigations are about finding facts, and there are a lot of very odd things about how he got it, and what he was privy to before getting it. He was formerly stripped of his clearance, and then, somehow, got it back. This, for a guy who amended his financial disclosure forms over 40 times.

This investigation is entirely justified, but I can understand how some people would be compelled to pretend that it wasn't.

Except my source clearly says how he got it back, hence it's a waste of taxpayer funding to pay for something 'we already know.'

Back
Top Bottom