• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Democrats Increase Border Offer to $5.7 Billion

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
House Democrats Increase Border Offer to $5.7 Billion, if Government Opens

104431473-IMG_2203.350x197.JPG

Representative Steny D. Hoyer (D/Maryland).

1/23/19
WASHINGTON — House Democratic leaders said on Wednesday that they were prepared to offer President Trump a substantial sum of money for border security — perhaps even the $5.7 billion he has requested — but not for a wall and not until he agreed to reopen the government. “We are going to be talking about substantial sums of money to secure our border,” Representative Steny D. Hoyer of Maryland, the Democratic leader, told reporters. Representative James E. Clyburn, the No 3. Democrat, told reporters separately that Democrats could back a $5.7 billion funding measure that included drones and refitted ports of entry — but no wall. That is the amount Mr. Trump has demanded for the wall he wants to build on the southwestern border. “Using the figure the president put on the table, if his $5.7 billion is about border security, then we see ourselves fulfilling that request, only doing it with what I like to call using a smart wall,” he said. The Democratic-controlled House is poised on Wednesday to pass legislation including an additional $1.5 billion for border security, which would help fund 75 new immigration judges and their staffs, and improvements in infrastructure at ports of entry.

But separately, top Democrats are preparing a letter to Mr. Trump that will outline a broader, and more expensive, vision for border security. That letter is expected to be ready in the coming days. And while Mr. Hoyer, the No. 2 Democrat, did not say on Wednesday how much money Democrats were willing to spend, Mr. Clyburn proffered the highest Democratic number yet, “so long as it’s done smartly, not just done to fulfill a campaign promise that never should have been made in the first place — unless you’re going to keep the full campaign promise, which is have Mexico pay for it.”

I think if government was reopened, Democrats would agree to repairing whatever barriers needed repair, and possibly add more similar barriers at agreed upon locations.

I don't see them ever agreeing to fork over $5.7 billion for Trumps concrete campaign promise.

Of course, Trump would also have to bend on some issues. Polls consistently show that America is blaming Trump for the shutdown, and Americans do not want to spend billions for his vanity wall.

I think if government was reopened, Democrats would agree to repairing whatever barriers needed repair, and possibly add more similar barriers at agreed upon locations.

I don't see them ever agreeing to fork over $5.7 billion for Trumps concrete campaign promise.

Of course, Trump would also have to bend on some issues. Polls consistently show that America is blaming Trump for the shutdown, and Americans do not want to spend billions for his vanity wall.

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today - Wimpy

I've been saying I believe this will be the deal that will ultimately get the government back open.

Keep adding funding to non-wall related border security and eventually the Republicans will have to take the offer.

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today - Wimpy

"Believe me, I'm the most honest president" - Trump (even though he has lied more than the last two presidents combined)

It's not the money. When the president threatens the rest of the country with a shutdown because he can't get the funding he wants for his wall, that's called hostage taking. People are suffering for his ego. Nancy will eventually find a way to have the government reopen with trump losing as little face as possible with his base. Let him call it a wall, let him call it an impenetrable wall, call it what you want as long as trump sells it to his base. BUT She's going to teach the GOP a lesson in politics first.

Today, Pelosi and Jim Clyburn offered just the sort of off ramp to Trump that he should take. In fact Clyburn did a much better job of describing it than I would have expected of him. He might turn out to be a good choice at Whip after all.

But of course, Donald cannot see past his nose, cannot see that Clyburn's language threw him the most hittable softball Trump is ever going to see. Clyburn is giving Trump a perfect opportunity to declare victory and move on. In fact, Clyburn's language dovetailed with language Donald himself as used in one of the million iterations of his Wall. Trump is such a bad negotiator and such a poor politician that not only did he not hit it over the fence, he didn't even swing at it. Didn't even foul it off.

Today, Pelosi and Jim Clyburn offered just the sort of off ramp to Trump that he should take. In fact Clyburn did a much better job of describing it than I would have expected of him. He might turn out to be a good choice at Whip after all.

But of course, Donald cannot see past his nose, cannot see that Clyburn's language threw him the most hittable softball Trump is ever going to see. Clyburn is giving Trump a perfect opportunity to declare victory and move on. In fact, Clyburn's language dovetailed with language Donald himself as used in one of the million iterations of his Wall. Trump is such a bad negotiator and such a poor politician that not only did he not hit it over the fence, he didn't even swing at it. Didn't even foul it off.

Because to Trump, it is not about Border Security it is about erecting a wall for his ego only.

We need to see if hannity and coulter approve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

One of the dumbest things about this is that the Dems have been in favor of border security. They just know the wall is ****ing stupid. I'd rather them get a slice of DACA from this, but hell....Trump needs to just stop this.

CONSERVATIVES: WE DO NOT WANT OPEN BORDERS.

Your idea is just stupid. That's all. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom