• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Democrats Can Release Trump’s Tax Returns. But Should They

Loulit01

Leftist Filth
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
An interesting piece on the legality of the House Ways and Means Committee releasing Trump's returns to the public. Turns out, it was perfectly legal.

On top of all this, the Speech and Debate Clause immunizes lawmakers from liability for statements they make in committee and on the House or Senate floor. So even if it weren’t for Section 6103(f)(4), a Ways and Means Committee member could—without legal consequence—read Trump’s tax returns aloud, line by line, with the C-SPAN cameras rolling. But House Democrats don’t need to rely on constitutional super-immunity here: The relevant statutory provisions clearly empower the Ways and Means Committee to enter Trump’s tax returns into the public domain.

A complex tax return is incomprehensible to the lay person and even an expert must study the whole tax package for hundreds of hours to fully comprehend it.

I am starting to change my mind on this, which will upset a few around here, but I am starting to question the wisdom with House Democrats doing this. Trump made himself a very easy target for this, no denying that, but this may get further weaponized down the road. Probably the last thing we need these days.

Why should he care?

A complex tax return is incomprehensible to the lay person and even an expert must study the whole tax package for hundreds of hours to fully comprehend it.
...which someone will undoubtedly do ..... You can bet that David Cay Johnston has some of his TA's or other students on this one.

Back
Top Bottom