• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Dem: Impeaching Trump on party lines would 'tear the country apart'

Donc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Reluctantly, Rep. Nadler is right. We should hold on to trump as an example of how not to to govern/boogyman. BUTT! …that doesn’t prevent New York State from going after him and his son-in-law. :2wave:

<Rep. Jerry Nadler warned Monday that any impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump that begin in the new, Democrat-controlled House of Representatives would need to clear an obvious partisan bar.>

<Nadler, who is to take over as chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and would oversee a potential impeachment process, outlined in an interview on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” a three-pronged test that he said would make for a legitimate impeachment proceeding, including that the offenses in question must be so grave and the evidence so clear that even some supporters of the president concede that impeachment is necessary.>

<Once it’s determined that a president has committed an impeachable offense, Nadler said, lawmakers need to consider whether the offense will “rise to the gravity where it’s worth putting the country through the trauma of an impeachment proceeding.”>

<He indicated that he had yet to see evidence that impeaching Trump was warranted, but said that special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 election as well as future investigations into Trump by Nadler’s Judiciary Committee could yield material for an impeachment proceeding.>
<“If Mueller shows us that the president has committed impeachable offenses, we'll have to make judgments as to how serious those impeachable offenses are and whether we should undertake an impeachment. If we see evidence of impeachable offenses not from Mueller the same question will arise,” he said, noting that not all crimes are considered an impeachable offense and vice versa.>

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/26/nadler-evidence-impeachable-offense-trump-1014702

It might alienate some steadfast supporters, but those are fewer than have been made out to be. If the man deserves impeachment, let it happen. We have a process to find out.

It won't happen, but I think acting like it would tear the country apart is not based in reality.

The question is always the same, what would be the charge to impeach Trump on? It would have to be something that has enough chance, so the yearbook answers from Trump opposition need to include a little something.

Even if that was determined odds are the OP is right, it would become a division moment and might not end well.

Reluctantly, Rep. Nadler is right. We should hold on to trump as an example of how not to to govern/boogyman. BUTT! …that doesn’t prevent New York State from going after him and his son-in-law. :2wave:

<Rep. Jerry Nadler warned Monday that any impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump that begin in the new, Democrat-controlled House of Representatives would need to clear an obvious partisan bar.>

<Nadler, who is to take over as chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and would oversee a potential impeachment process, outlined in an interview on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” a three-pronged test that he said would make for a legitimate impeachment proceeding, including that the offenses in question must be so grave and the evidence so clear that even some supporters of the president concede that impeachment is necessary.>

<Once it’s determined that a president has committed an impeachable offense, Nadler said, lawmakers need to consider whether the offense will “rise to the gravity where it’s worth putting the country through the trauma of an impeachment proceeding.”>

<He indicated that he had yet to see evidence that impeaching Trump was warranted, but said that special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 election as well as future investigations into Trump by Nadler’s Judiciary Committee could yield material for an impeachment proceeding.>
<“If Mueller shows us that the president has committed impeachable offenses, we'll have to make judgments as to how serious those impeachable offenses are and whether we should undertake an impeachment. If we see evidence of impeachable offenses not from Mueller the same question will arise,” he said, noting that not all crimes are considered an impeachable offense and vice versa.>

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/26/nadler-evidence-impeachable-offense-trump-1014702

And? This country has been in need of a severe, unrelenting round of introspection that we didn't undergo with Nixon (and that idiotic pardon) and Reagan.

Rip off the scab so that the would can properly heal.

This is just a guess on my part but I suspect that the Democrat base will DEMAND impeachment.

I hate Trump. I try not to hate the people who voted for him. That is hard sometimes. Nevertheless, I do not want Congress to impeach him unless the Mueller Report proves that he broke the law conspiring with Russia to defeat Hillary Clinton, and unless his approval rating dips comfortably below 30%.

A low rating for Trump will probably require a sharp and deep recession. If it had not been for the inflationary recession of 1974 I think Nixon could have survived Watergate. The recession put the American people into a bad mood.

As long as the economy works for them, Trump's supporters will forgive anything he does and has done. In the growing polarization of the United States, one can see the fault lines building for a civil war, or perhaps the peaceful breakup of the United States. I want Trump to fall hard, taking the Repubublican Party down with him, and discrediting what he stands for.

It must suck for the liberals and the Trump haters when someone they cannot demonize injects an unwelcome bit of reality into their lives.

Oh well...moving on...

Aside from wars and real violence, how is it possibly gonna tear the country apart more than Trump already has? I say let the healing begin.
The issue is they need clear and serious criminal "indictment" of Trump that the Senate and the public has to face. Then and only then is it even a possibility. And if they had sealed indictments waiting, he'd likely be pardoned by Pence, so justice won't really get served either (?).

Who is really talking impeachment at this point? I can't take it seriously unless I saw criminal accusations that stick.

I hate Trump. I try not to hate the people who voted for him. That is hard sometimes. Nevertheless, I do not want Congress to impeach him unless the Mueller Report proves that he broke the law conspiring with Russia to defeat Hillary Clinton, and unless his approval rating dips comfortably below 30%.

A low rating for Trump will probably require a sharp and deep recession. If it had not been for the inflationary recession of 1974 I think Nixon could have survived Watergate. The recession put the American people into a bad mood.

As long as the economy works for them, Trump's supporters will forgive anything he does and has done. In the growing polarization of the United States, one can see the fault lines building for a civil war, or perhaps the peaceful breakup of the United States. I want Trump to fall hard, taking the Repubublican Party down with him, and discrediting what he stands for.

I see something similar :(

If only there was some kind of method of political organization that allowed people to largely govern themselves at the local and state levels, defusing the anger and hatred at the national level by dramatically lowering the stakes of national contests, and allowing State or even Local level contests (where the results are far more likely to represent a more sizeable majority of those governed) to have more import into how we are governed.

Truly, unless you can prove a major crime with loads and loads of proof, it would indeed cause a huge amount of disruption.

Because those that claim anything that doesnt agree with their agenda will still be all over 'fake news' and conspiracies.

It will have to completely black and white and more than just some 'technical' campaign foul (for example).

And a huge number of Trumpets still wont believe it but at least the moderates should not take up arms.

What the OP boils down to is some Democrat finally realized "Hey! We can't impeach Trump just because! We actually need a legal reason!"

It's good to know at least 1 House Rep is using his brain cells.

I don't think impeachment would happen unless he is re-elected. Rather, they'll just use the intros to it for the 2020 election.

It's about time the left woke up and wanted to start having actual policies instead of just being the anti-Trump resistance.

It must suck for the liberals and the Trump haters when someone they cannot demonize injects an unwelcome bit of reality into their lives.

Oh well...moving on...

It must suck to have to create red herrings to criticize liberals.

It must suck to have to create red herrings to criticize liberals.

You are saying that Dem is creating a red herring?

You are saying that Dem is creating a red herring?

"It must suck for the liberals and the Trump haters when someone they cannot demonize injects an unwelcome bit of reality into their lives."

The Congressman in the OP didn't inject any reality into my life, unwelcome or not, because he's doing nothing more than stating what is completely f'ing obvious to the vast majority of liberals I read and interact with or listen to. It's certainly obvious to me. The GOP showed us with Clinton how partisan hacks in the House use a hopeless impeachment show trial as a political weapon/bludgeon, and no liberal I respect wants to repeat that. The prevailing attitude among liberals, nearly universal IME, is, "Let's see what Mueller finds, then decide" which is......exactly what Nadler suggests.

If Clinton could be impeached for lying about a blowjob, then trump must be impeached if Mueller confirms that trump colluded with the russians to STEAL an election. Sadly we know the republican controlled senate will vote against impeaching their beloved fuhrer. So it really be a waste of time and money to impeach trump if the senate is just gonna continue to let him break the law and urinate all over the constitution.....like he has been doing for years.

What the OP boils down to is some Democrat finally realized "Hey! We can't impeach Trump just because! We actually need a legal reason!"

It's good to know at least 1 House Rep is using his brain cells.

It's hilarious that you think we've all been talking about impeachment just on the basis of "we don't like him." Goddamn, propaganda works on you.

House Dem: Impeaching Trump on party lines would 'tear the country apart'

Trump is already tearing the country apart, as is our poorly designed two party duopoly. Bill Clinton was impeached for lying about a blow job, and we survived that. if Trump committed a serious crime and is not impeached, that would also tear the country apart.

now, is it a good idea for Democrats to start impeachment hearings right away absent Mueller's report? no, that would be a poor idea. it should also be pointed out that there's very little chance that he'll be convicted in the senate even if the crime is serious, as he owns the former Republican party now.

I see something similar :(

If only there was some kind of method of political organization that allowed people to largely govern themselves at the local and state levels, defusing the anger and hatred at the national level by dramatically lowering the stakes of national contests, and allowing State or even Local level contests (where the results are far more likely to represent a more sizeable majority of those governed) to have more import into how we are governed.

I have been preaching this for awhile. As long as we don't address this issue the polarization and resentment will only continue to increase. This is the reason the country was setup as it was with everything not detailed in the constitution be decided by the states, we have lost sight of that concept and unless we move back to it then the inevitable result will be either civil war or best case scenario a peaceful split.

"It must suck for the liberals and the Trump haters when someone they cannot demonize injects an unwelcome bit of reality into their lives."

The Congressman in the OP didn't inject any reality into my life, unwelcome or not, because he's doing nothing more than stating what is completely f'ing obvious to the vast majority of liberals I read and interact with or listen to. It's certainly obvious to me. The GOP showed us with Clinton how partisan hacks in the House use a hopeless impeachment show trial as a political weapon/bludgeon, and no liberal I respect wants to repeat that. The prevailing attitude among liberals, nearly universal IME, is, "Let's see what Mueller finds, then decide" which is......exactly what Nadler suggests.

Oh...be honest. Don't you REALLY wish the Dems would go after Trump?

It's already been torn apart. There were rumbles under Bush, but the divide was obvious when the candidate who looked like he might just be the first black president accused of being racist, of wanting to destroy America, of being a closet muslim, of being a Kenyan-Manchurian candidate, and about ten thousand other vile things.

That showed it didn't really matter what a person did. There was a burning hatred at play. So any concern about unrest can get stuffed along with the politician who holds that concern.

If Mueller's report indicates he has engaged in grave misconduct, then perhaps he should be impeached no matter what happens.

Let's use an analogy to avoid the obvious blather that might be thrown at this post: we couldn't reasonably call ourselves a Democratic Republic if, after learning about the Watergate cover-up, congress refused to consider impeaching Nixon because of potential civil unrest.

If we're at a point where acts in that ballpark are not grounds for impeachment, it doesn't really matter whether we are torn apart or not. We'll have already lost.

Last edited:
It might alienate some steadfast supporters, but those are fewer than have been made out to be. If the man deserves impeachment, let it happen. We have a process to find out.

It won't happen, but I think acting like it would tear the country apart is not based in reality.

It's a great cap on the US as a nation. To impeach a president for a framed up crime little different from the Kavenaugh **** show. I love it!

China waits with baited breath for the next iteration of Obama or Romney so they can plow us like a two bit whore.

The country won't collapse like Soviet Russia, it will just fade away as it loses it's identity and it's industrial base continues to be sent off shore by the people who read poll tested scripts saying "You are number one in my book". LOL.

BTW, what would have democrats done with the swarm of illegals on the borders? I'll tell you that it will teach the liberals why illegals make such good employees. They work and shut up, and are truly thankful for a job, because they know what it is to suffer under a crooked government.

Oh...be honest. Don't you REALLY wish the Dems would go after Trump?

What I want is for Mueller's investigation to proceed unimpeded and for congress to weigh the evidence when it is complete.

Back
Top Bottom