• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House defeats narrow funding bills

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The House defeated three targeted government funding bills, as the first day of a government shutdown ended on Capitol Hill.

The bills would have funded national parks and veterans affairs, and one would have allowed the District of Columbia to use local revenue to fund governmental functions. The legislation came up under a fast-track procedure, which required two-thirds majority for House passage.

House defeats narrow funding bills - Jake Sherman and Manu Raju - POLITICO.com

I wonder why the house leadership decided to vote on these bills in a way that required two-thirds majority of the house to approve in order to pass the bills?

you mean without the potential threat of democrats bringing up the clean continuing resolution bill passed by the senate.

No, meaning it was the only way to have the vote tonight...

Not true, if they removed the poisoned pills.

Go easy on the guy, procedural rules aren't generally common knowledge and even experts sometimes fail to understand them correctly.

So at the risk of sounding ignorant myself, let me explain: Two thirds votes in the House are only, as far as I know, for considering bills with the rules suspended. There were no poison pills in these bills, just narrow funding bills to fund parts of the government.

Which is still stupid. Republicans need to realize that Democrats are in a commanding position here. Now would be a good time for a prudent retreat. Pass the clean funding bill the Senate passed, end the shutdown, pass a clean debt limit extension too, and just take credit for the declining deficits until the 2014 election.

Moderator's Warning:
Time for a public service announcement. Do not Bait, Troll, or Flame other posters or there will be consequences. That is all.

Back
Top Bottom