• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House committee approves D.C. statehood, a once-fringe issue now central to Democrats

It is doa no matter what, even if it passes it would get struck down by even the most liberal courts as the constitution is fairly clear that the capital district is not to be a state. To change this requires a constitutional amendment, while adding peurto rico does not.
What exactly is DC's path to statehood? How are you going to get congressional republicans to vote for 2 more democratic senators? A simple majority doesn't cut it. Fun to debate but the point is academic.

In other words I agree.

It is doa no matter what, even if it passes it would get struck down by even the most liberal courts as the constitution is fairly clear that the capital district is not to be a state. To change this requires a constitutional amendment, while adding peurto rico does not.

The Seat of Government will still exist. It will just be smaller. The State of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth will be created out of the rest of it.

I see Manchin blowing this up should it make it to the Senate. He's absolutely loving being the King-maker right now and adding two Senators would dilute this power his weilding right now.

Legislation to make D.C. the 51st state was approved by the House Committee on Oversight and Reform Wednesday, teeing up the bill’s expected passage in the full House for the second consecutive year possibly as soon as next week.​
The Democratic-majority committe voted along party lines to pass D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton’s Washington, D.C. Admission Act, quashing every Republican amendment during Wednesday’s markup. Though largely expected, the vote injects another shot of momentum in Democrats’ favor as they seek to seize on their majorities in Congress and control of the White House to push D.C. statehood further than it has gone before. Once a fringe issue, giving statehood to those who live in the nation’s capital has become a central part of the party’s voting-rights platform.​
The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. It's a shame how true that rings.

tbh, i've always thought VA and WVa should be one state again.

Hell no. Virginia is a pretty cool state. West Virginia is a backwater shithole.

The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office.

And there it is. There is the utter depravity of the trump cult, who has less of a problem with child molesters than they do anyone of one of our two major political parties.

Nothing can be trusted from a cult that spews that kind of shit. Nothing.

I see Manchin blowing this up should it make it to the Senate. He's absolutely loving being the King-maker right now and adding two Senators would dilute this power his weilding right now.

Legislation to make D.C. the 51st state was approved by the House Committee on Oversight and Reform Wednesday, teeing up the bill’s expected passage in the full House for the second consecutive year possibly as soon as next week.​
The Democratic-majority committe voted along party lines to pass D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton’s Washington, D.C. Admission Act, quashing every Republican amendment during Wednesday’s markup. Though largely expected, the vote injects another shot of momentum in Democrats’ favor as they seek to seize on their majorities in Congress and control of the White House to push D.C. statehood further than it has gone before. Once a fringe issue, giving statehood to those who live in the nation’s capital has become a central part of the party’s voting-rights platform.​
No, we don't need to make it it's own State, just make Maryland take it.

The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. It's a shame how true that rings.
That's a pretty sick standard, so much for the Party of Family Values I suppose, now it's just insane partisanship.

Hell no. Virginia is a pretty cool state. West Virginia is a backwater shithole.
Maybe, but West Virginia is beautiful. I've always wanted to live there.

Maybe, but West Virginia is beautiful. I've always wanted to live there.

Your state has beauty, too, and a higher concentration of intelligent people.

Your state has beauty, too, and a higher concentration of intelligent people.
Well with the number of Texafornians moving in, that ratio is starting to decrease.
lol

How can you possibly think it doesn't? So we have to add another star to the flag. Oh well.
Another star to the flag, reprint every school textbook, rework monuments, Its extremely complicated and a huge cost. If representation is the issue then returning it to Maryland is the easiest solution.

This is a crap argument. People who lived in DC even just 30 years ago didn't really care about it. This is a new thing that majority don't care for cause it would be loss of DIRECT Federal funding with no strings attached. I.E National's Park was given $82m from Congressional Funding for WMATA to upgrade the metro in the area. Can't do that if you NYC, Columbus, Atlanta or LA.

Folks are gonna be in for a rude awaking when they find DC goes bankrupt cover WMATA costs.
National parks are funded by congress in the states as well.

Another star to the flag, reprint every school textbook, rework monuments, Its extremely complicated and a huge cost. If representation is the issue then returning it to Maryland is the easiest solution.
You don't think school textbooks will need to be reprinted if DC is absorbed into MD? Not to mention, they're updated all the time because stuff changes. I'm not concerned about "reworking" monuments.

You don't think school textbooks will need to be reprinted if DC is absorbed into MD? Not to mention, they're updated all the time because stuff changes. I'm not concerned about "reworking" monuments.
What is your primary concern

So you don't care if DC becomes a state ot not? You're not concerned about those people having representation.
I thought I just answered that. No, I'm not concerned about "those people" having representation.

The 23rd Amendment would cause a problem.

Not if DC no longer had residents - as would be the case if it’s (residential) territory was returned to Maryland.

Yeah, I think if we're going to do this, that the best method is to return it to Maryland....though I'm pretty sure Maryland doesn't want it.

When you folks say things like this? Why in the world should anyone believe *you* when you say you believe people like Brett Kavanaugh?

Back
Top Bottom