• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House backs increasing coronavirus stimulus checks to $2,000

OscarLevant

Gadfly Extraordinaire
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
House passes the Trump quested $2000 stimulus, and quite a number of repubs joined in.

Now, let's see what they do in the Senate.

The Democratic-controlled House of Representatives passed a bill Monday evening to increase direct coronavirus relief payments to some people to $2,000, though the measure faces an uphill battle in the Republican-run Senate, despite support from President Donald Trump.

House passes the Trump quested $2000 stimulus, and quite a number of repubs joined in.

The Democratic-controlled House of Representatives passed a bill Monday evening to increase direct coronavirus relief payments to some people to $2,000, though the measure faces an uphill battle in the Republican-run Senate, despite support from President Donald Trump.
It is DOA in the Senate, thanks to Mitch.....

They're kind of rubbing Trump's nose in it.

Does anyone know if those disbursements are taxable as income?

Never mind. I just looked it up, and apparently it isn't taxed. Cool.

The article said it narrowly passed, does that mean it was a party line vote?

It is DOA in the Senate, thanks to Mitch.....
Maybe...maybe not.

The Senate Republicans know what is at stake...especially regarding their careers. (After all, staying in office is more important to them than anything else.)

Maybe...maybe not.

The Senate Republicans know what is at stake...especially regarding their careers. (After all, staying in office is more important to them than anything else.)

If this does not pass in the Senate, the People will know who's side the Republicans are on.

And its not the People's.

If this does not pass in the Senate, the People will know who's side the Republicans are on.

And its not the People's.
Even the people who don't already hate Congressional Elites will know who's side the GOP Elites are on...which is their donor's and lobbyist's side.

The $2,000 stimulus checks will never be passed tomorrow. Most of the senate held Republicans had already opposed even a $1,200 check because the Democrats refused to remove the pork.

The $2,000 stimulus checks will never be passed tomorrow. Most of the senate held Republicans had already opposed even a $1,200 check because the Democrats refused to remove the pork.

Didn't the master negotiator demand that they pass the $2,000 stimulus just this morning?

It’s the GOP’s pork. They negotiated for it. Trump signed off on it by signing the bill, as did his proxy Mnuchin who negotiated the amount, as well as McCarthy and McConnell.

Trump wants the 2k checks. Nancy Pelosi wants em. Schumer wants em. Americans want em. Only folks who are voting no are Republicans. If you have data showing Dems voting against the checks, I’ll be here!

House votes on $2,000 stimulus checks after Trump signs relief bill (cnbc.com)

The House passed the payments in a fast-track procedure with just enough support to meet the two-thirds threshold needed. The chamber approved the measure in a 275-134 vote.

Democrats backed the bill by a 231-2 margin. Forty-four GOP representatives supported the measure and 130 voted against it, after days of calls by the Republican Trump to increase the payments to $2,000.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The Senate does not, pretty much means shit show in Congress.

Didn't the master negotiator demand that they pass the $2,000 stimulus just this morning?

It’s the GOP’s pork. They negotiated for it. Trump signed off on it by signing the bill, as did his proxy Mnuchin who negotiated the amount, as well as McCarthy and McConnell.

Trump wants the 2k checks. Nancy Pelosi wants em. Schumer wants em. Americans want em. Only folks who are voting no are Republicans. If you have data showing Dems voting against the checks, I’ll be here!

There will not be a $2,000 stimulus check. End of story.

At least 40 republicans voted yes, I forget the final count though, almost all dems voted yes
Yes. It barely cleared the 2/3 hurdle 275-134. GOPs voted 130 - 44 against it with 21 of them not voting. The defense override was easy.

Last edited:
Did you say that the GOP does not want to help Americans?

*I* didn’t say it.

Republicans keep saying they, the GOP, do not want to help Americans.

3 dems didn't vote or it, about 40 or so repubs didn't, but some 80 ( or so) did, so no, not a party line vote at all, which gives me hope for the Senate, if they are at all like minded, but there is no evidence of that. However, it would only take a handful of Senators to vote for it, IF McConnell allows it to the floor, which he should, given Trump's support. But, I wouldn't put it past him to shoot it down on stingy grounds. Oh, and I might have gotten those house repub numbers mixed up, for 40, against 80, if I recall correctly

Back
Top Bottom