• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hottest May on record

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The data are in for May and it’s the hottest May on record.

Last month was the hottest May on record - CNN

So based on the last projection that had 2020 with a 70% chance of being the warmest ever, I’m guessing that likelihood moved up closer to 75%.

458a1d26c7a419e62295467fec2a58f3.jpg

So much for ‘cooling’.

I await deniers to explain this away by telling us it’s the start of summer, or that the temp records were manipulated, or that all the scientists are wrong because you did your own calculations on a post in another thread, or that they love this because it ‘owns da libs’, or... well, you get the point.

It must be volcanoes and sun spots, plus there were some winter cold days.

I just hope I'm rich enough to buy a house boat with decent air conditioning when the world floods over.

Every time we have record low temps or snows the people that don't believe in global pipe up. Then when we have record highs, the global warming believers pipe up. And so it continues.:roll:

So based on the last projection that had 2020 with a 70% chance of being the warmest ever, I’m guessing that likelihood moved up closer to 75%.

So much for ‘cooling’.

I await deniers to explain this away by telling us it’s the start of summer, or that the temp records were manipulated, or that all the scientists are wrong because you did your own calculations on a post in another thread, or that they love this because it ‘owns da libs’, or... well, you get the point.

"Hey, it's summer, it's supposed to be hot, right? So what if the glaciers are melting far faster than scientists calculated they would, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing, it only means there will be more water in the ocean, right? I know global warming is a liberal hoax meant to put coal miners in W. Virginia and Pennsylvania out of work and it's only because they vote republican. Democrats will lie and say anything to make their minions believe that global warming is a real thing--- as if."

Meanwhile, in Norway....

So much for ‘cooling’.

At least the heat and UV light is helping with the corona virus.

So much for ‘cooling’.

I see you're quoting GISTEMP's LOTI to make your point.

Just so you know, so far this year, GISTEMP has made over 1200 changes to their LOTI report since last year:

Code:
Number of Changes to GISSTEMP's LOTI for 2020
Jan Feb Mar Apr  May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
319 240 313 340

Because NASA's GISTEMP doesn't maintain an archive and blocks attempts to automatically save their monthly
updates, I only have 149 of a possible 219 reports since 2002 but out of those 149 updates there have been
over 84,000 changes made. This has been brought up before and will no doubt be brought up again. Just like
the current Covid 19 virus that is here to stay as part of the environment, so too will the fact that NASA has, is
and will no doubt continue to constantly rewrite the historical temperature data every month.

At least the heat and UV light is helping with the corona virus.

Unfortunately, with COVID-19, there is simply not enough evidence to know if there will be a significant slowdown in infections as temperatures rise. In countries such as Australia and Iran, COVID-19 has spread very quickly despite warm and humid weather.

Unfortunately, with COVID-19, there is simply not enough evidence to know if there will be a significant slowdown in infections as temperatures rise. In countries such as Australia and Iran, COVID-19 has spread very quickly despite warm and humid weather.

Yeah. I get that. I was being facetious. It's not slowing down like traditional flus do in warming weather and Fauci warned about that. Besides, there are probably a good 50,000 mis-categorized mortalities as influenza-pneumonias that are actually C19. Mostly red states. Huh. CDC will iron that out, eventually, using some choice/combo stat model methodology.

Just so you know, so far this year, GISTEMP has made over 1200 changes to their LOTI report since last year:

Code:
319 240 313 340

Because NASA's GISTEMP doesn't maintain an archive and blocks attempts to automatically save their monthly
updates, I only have 149 of a possible 219 reports since 2002 but out of those 149 updates there have been
over 84,000 changes made. This has been brought up before and will no doubt be brought up again. Just like
the current Covid 19 virus that is here to stay as part of the environment, so too will the fact that NASA has, is
and will no doubt continue to constantly rewrite the historical temperature data every month.

Oh Boy!! Steve is back with more of his favorite climate-related conspiracy theory. That theory is that NASA is dishonestly adjusting its temperature record to make the planet's warming appear to be worse than it really is. And his evidence of this nefarious plot is the fact that NASA regularly changes much of their record.

But what Steve doesn't want people to know is that there is nothing nefarious about their frequent adjustments to the GISStemp LODI record.

Steve's biggest lie is that NASA changes the historical data when they do not. NASA doesn't ever change the historical data. What Nasa does is take the historical data, put it all together, and then make adjustments based on known problems, inconsistencies, and incompatibilities to create their own temp record. They make adjusting for the time of day that a temperature was recorded. Or to compensate for differences in temp recording devices. Or to remove the warming associated with urban areas. There are others but most can get the point.

Now the reason NASA's record changes so much is that every month when they get new data the whole record is recalculated. And except for the occasional major changes the average change is very very small. And even if all these changes were removed from the record it would still show the planet is warming by a significant amount.

And the really annoying thing about Steve's BS is that he has been made aware of these facts many times but he refuses to tell the truth and just keeps pretending that NASA is being dishonest based solely on the fact that their record changes frequently. He has no more evidence than that.

Every time we have record low temps or snows the people that don't believe in global pipe up. Then when we have record highs, the global warming believers pipe up. And so it continues.:roll:

You have to look at the overall trend there the last five years have been the five warmest years on record.

Top 10 Warmest Years on Record | Climate Central

There also the last decades was the warmest on record.

Climate change: Last decade confirmed as warmest on record - BBC News

Oh Boy!! Blah ... blah ... blah ... blah ... blah ... blah ... blah!
Uh huh

Steve is back with more of his favorite climate-related conspiracy theory. That theory is that NASA is dishonestly adjusting its temperature record to make the planet's warming appear to be worse than it really is. And his evidence of this nefarious plot is the fact that NASA regularly changes much of their record.
NASA's GISTEMP does in fact make those changes

But what Steve doesn't want people to know is that there is nothing nefarious about their frequent adjustments to the GISStemp LODI record.
That's right, NASA does make frequent adjustments to their Land Ocean Temperature Index (LOTI)

Steve's biggest lie is that NASA changes the historical data when they do not. NASA doesn't ever change the historical data. What Nasa does is take the historical data, put it all together, and then make adjustments based on known problems, inconsistencies, and incompatibilities to create their own temp record. They make adjusting for the time of day that a temperature was recorded. Or to compensate for differences in temp recording devices. Or to remove the warming associated with urban areas. There are others but most can get the point.
The operative words in the above are:

NASA doesn't ever change the historical data. What Nasa does is... make adjustments...
Now the reason NASA's record changes so much is that every month when they get new data the whole record is recalculated. And except for the occasional major changes the average change is very very small. And even if all these changes were removed from the record it would still show the planet is warming by a significant amount.
More operative words:

Now the reason NASA's record changes so much...​
That's right they make a lot of changes.

And the really annoying thing about Steve's BS is that he has been made aware of these facts many times but he refuses to tell the truth and just keeps pretending that NASA is being dishonest based solely on the fact that their record changes frequently. He has no more evidence than that.
That's right, their record changes frequently, 84,390 changes that can be
documented from files saved by the Internet Archives Way Back Machine.

It must be volcanoes and sun spots, plus there were some winter cold days.

I hear it’s the method of measurement. Greta moved the thermometers and placed them in volcanoes under sunspots.

Code:
319 240 313 340

You want BEST? HADCRUT?

All of them generally say the same thing.

Oh, right.

You don’t want any of them. You only want to see things you like, not reality.

I hear it’s the method of measurement. Greta moved the thermometers and placed them in volcanoes under sunspots.

I knew it. Probably booked a full size jet all to herself to do it, too.

I am more concerned about the direct impact warmer ocean temps are having on tropical storm intensification. I live in coastal FL, and we've been run off almost every year from approaching Cat 4-5 Hurricanes.

On record. Yes. How long have they been keeping accurate records? How old is the planet?

If you think Donald Trump‘s dismissal of the coronavirus pandemic as just “a democrat hoax”, and wasting so much valuable time creating public confusion about that was bad, just wait till the fact of all these years of climate change denial start kicking in.

If you think Donald Trump‘s dismissal of the coronavirus pandemic as just “a democrat hoax”, and wasting so much valuable time creating public confusion about that was bad, just wait till the fact of all these years of climate change denial start kicking in.

Interesting answer to a question I didn't ask. And don't think your "Trump said the pandemic was a democrat hoax" lie got past me. Here's how deceitful the democrat party is. From fact check.org:

"Democratic Ad Twists Trump’s ‘Hoax’ Comment"
At the beginning, the ad splices together two quotes to have Trump saying, “The coronavirus, this is their new hoax.” It is obvious in listening to the ad that he said, “The coronavirus,” and, “this is their new hoax,” at different times. His voice sounds quite different in the two segments.
But on the screen, “The coronavirus, this is their new hoax” appears as a single sentence.
Trump did use the word “hoax” but his full comments, and subsequent explanation, make clear he was talking about Democratic attacks on his administration’s handling of the outbreak, not the virus itself.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...oax-comment/&usg=AOvVaw20zXSbkG61_i2SSttRopVZ

So, back to the question. How long have accurate records on weather trends been kept, and how old is the earth? That would give us an Idea if it's a long enough sampling and not just part of a longer cycle temperature fluctuation.

Last edited:
On record. Yes. How long have they been keeping accurate records? How old is the planet?

Not sure if you have access to, yanno, Google or anything.

Basic facts are usually pretty simple for people to look up.

I bet you think you’re making a point.

If so, that’s adorable.

Interesting answer to a question I didn't ask. And don't think your "Trump said the pandemic was a democrat hoax" lie got past me. Here's how deceitful the democrat party is. From fact check.org:

"Democratic Ad Twists Trump’s ‘Hoax’ Comment"
At the beginning, the ad splices together two quotes to have Trump saying, “The coronavirus, this is their new hoax.” It is obvious in listening to the ad that he said, “The coronavirus,” and, “this is their new hoax,” at different times. His voice sounds quite different in the two segments.
But on the screen, “The coronavirus, this is their new hoax” appears as a single sentence.
Trump did use the word “hoax” but his full comments, and subsequent explanation, make clear he was talking about Democratic attacks on his administration’s handling of the outbreak, not the virus itself.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...oax-comment/&usg=AOvVaw20zXSbkG61_i2SSttRopVZ

So, back to the question. How long have accurate records on weather trends been kept, and how old is the earth? That would give us an Idea if it's a long enough sampling and not just part of a longer cycle temperature fluctuation.

Yes. That has been taken into account. Scientists are not that stupid.

Yes. That has been taken into account. Scientists are not that stupid.

So, let's say they are correct. Is there any real evidence that supports that it is caused by humans? I have doubts how accurately science can deduce what the weather trends from thousands of years ago.

Talk about hot. And Humid. Brazil is skyrocketing in coronavirus. Of course, a lot of that is the Trump-style, hands-off/mask-off approach off their Trump-twin leader, Bolsonaro.

Back
Top Bottom