• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hottest April Ever Recorded.

What is "missing"? Higher lows are consistent with the stronger greenhouse effect that the record levels of CO2 is causing.
Actually it is not, Hansen said in his 1995 paper that the diurnal asymmetry was caused by something
damping the T-Max temperatures, but that that damping would go away.
http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/1995/1995_Hansen_etal_2.pdf
We can safely predict that on the long run the effect of the diurnal damping on maximum temperatures will be small,

As long as 2/3rds of the earth is water there will be damping. The excess heat is going onto the oceans.
Except that the diurnal and seasonal asymmetry exists hundreds of miles from the ocean.

They are mating. I the spring crows gather in a single large group called, believe it or not a "murder".

You are probably near a nesting area.

DO NOT screw with them. Crows' vision is a good a an eagle and they remember facial features. Had a roommate once who threw a stick at one a near hit it. From that day on, the crow would lay in wait for him every morning and attack from behind. What stopped it was Jim carrying a tennis racket. The crow was smart enough to know he could get hurt by that tennis racket.

Greetings, F & L. :2wave:

Thanks for the info. :thumbs: They are swooping and cawing, and there are sure a lot of them! I have often said I learn something new on here every day, and it still holds true - I didn't know a group of crows is called a murder! :shock: Funny story about your friend learning about crows the hard way... :mrgreen:

here in the mid-atlantic region of the US, we have had rain for 16 days in a row

and one of the coolest springs i can ever remember....

by now, usually we are beset by a number of 80 degree perfect spring days

i dont think we have had one of those yet this year....

Back in the Carboniferous period the world was a tropical paradise with lush vegetation on every continent, even the polar continents.

Then came the glaciations which buried all the vegetation which we are now burning as fossil fuels, the same ones we are re-introducing their carbon back into the ecosphere.

Who's to say that the Earth's climate wouldn't normally be more like the Carboniferous period, than what it is now, still in a process of exiting a period of glaciations?

Might it not be the anomaly to have temperatures we've had during human history?

Back in the Carboniferous period the world was a tropical paradise with lush vegetation on every continent, even the polar continents.

Then came the glaciations which buried all the vegetation which we are now burning as fossil fuels, the same ones we are re-introducing their carbon back into the ecosphere.

Who's to say that the Earth's climate wouldn't normally be more like the Carboniferous period, than what it is now, still in a process of exiting a period of glaciations?

Might it not be the anomaly to have temperatures we've had during human history?
I wish that were the case, unfortunately we know the last 800,000 years have been spent mostly
much colder then present temperatures.
bigw03-epica-temperature-and-co2.gif

Do you have a conspiracy fetish?

If you wanted to be enlightened, which evidently you don't, you would have learned before now not to make the foolish implication that having the answer to a problem is prerequisite to recognizing the problem's existence. But there are scientifically founded answers to dealing with warming you could find if you bothered to look.

There is no conspiracy. Its just that every month like clockwork some left wing fear monger comes on here with some end times prophesy but they never say what can be done about it other than to turn over our rights and our freedoms to the state. I was just curious how you got anointed to be the April spokesman of fear and wondered who might be on tap for May.

Right and the fact that humans evolved in this "anomalous" climate means that we are probably an aberration also. We are simply putting the Earth back where it "should" be and just because we might not be able to survive is no reason to stop what we are doing. Earth would be better off without humans too.

There is no conspiracy. Its just that every month like clockwork some left wing fear monger comes on here with some end times prophesy but they never say what can be done about it other than to turn over our rights and our freedoms to the state. I was just curious how you got anointed to be the April spokesman of fear and wondered who might be on tap for May.

Since when is linking news of a science report fear-mongering?

Right and the fact that humans evolved in this "anomalous" climate means that we are probably an aberration also. We are simply putting the Earth back where it "should" be and just because we might not be able to survive is no reason to stop what we are doing. Earth would be better off without humans too.

What a coincidence. Just yesterday I saw a guy in Central Park saying pretty much what you just said. He was standing on top of plastic crate in Central Park shouting it through a bullhorn. Unfortunately , his "the end is coming" cardboard sign was barely legible because the rain had caused the Magic Marker to run.

I wish that were the case, unfortunately we know the last 800,000 years have been spent mostly
much colder then present temperatures.
bigw03-epica-temperature-and-co2.gif

Long cold spell? Now, finally, returning to where normal might be?

I think you shortchange the adaptability of humans, the most adaptable species the Earth has yet seen. I'm not seeing much of a problem living in a tropical paradise.

Don't all the snow birds move to Florida (sub tropical) for the winter?

Since when is linking news of a science report fear-mongering?

Because your goal is to generate enough fear of impending doom that people accept state 'solutions.' Are you in the habit of posting any other science reports here? Or just those designed to empower your political agenda?

I have no idea. OH GOD GLOBAL WARMING IS NOT REAL!?!?!?!?!

The Planet will be fine even under a worst case scenario. The currently living plants and animals are another question.

Seriously?

You do realize that at one time this world was a hell of a lot hotter and all the little flowers and plants survived, in fact thrived. We have hard evidence of cultivated grape vines in Newfoundland and northern Germany. These longer summers have significant lengthened the northern growing season and farmers on the Canadian prairies are growing varieties of crops they could not ten years ago.

It's time to stop whining and playing chicken little so some obscure scientists can get more funding and accept what is in front of us and, in true human form, adapt to the new reality.

All these years the Al Gore crowd has been spewing end-of-the-world fear when we should be looking at how to adapt and protect ourselves. "Global Warming" is the most studied topic in the history of mankind and typical of left wing thinItking, can't do any more than study and re-study other people's work for money.

It's time for academia to sit down and shut up.

Because your goal is to generate enough fear of impending doom that people accept state 'solutions.' Are you in the habit of posting any other science reports here? Or just those designed to empower your political agenda?

Thank you for explaining my goals, and political agenda if I have one, and no, I'm not in that habit.

I think you shortchange the adaptability of humans, the most adaptable species the Earth has yet seen. I'm not seeing much of a problem living in a tropical paradise.

Don't all the snow birds move to Florida (sub tropical) for the winter?

Humans have an absolute maximum temperature that they can survive in. There is no "adapting" only dying. The earth will say good riddance.

Researchers from the University of New South Wales in Australia and Purdue University in the US said global warming will not stop after 2100, the point where most previous projections have ended.
In fact temperatures may rise by up to 12C (21.6F) within just three centuries making many countries into deserts.
The study, published in the prestigious journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, said humans will not be able to adapt or survive in such conditions.
Professor Tony McMichael, one of the authors, said if the world continues to pump out greenhouse gases at the current rate it will cause catastrophic warming.
"Under realistic scenarios out to 2300, we may be faced with temperature increases of 12 degrees or even more," he said. "If this happens, our current worries about sea level rise, occasional heatwaves and bushfires, biodiversity loss and agricultural difficulties will pale into insignificance beside a major threat - as much as half the currently inhabited globe may simply become too hot for people to live there."
Climate change could make half the world uninhabitable - Telegraph

What a coincidence. Just yesterday I saw a guy in Central Park saying pretty much what you just said. He was standing on top of plastic crate in Central Park shouting it through a bullhorn. Unfortunately , his "the end is coming" cardboard sign was barely legible because the rain had caused the Magic Marker to run.

So you know for a fact that by the year 2100 there will be no problem for humans surviving on Earth? How do you know this? If all humans are as shortsighted we deserve to become extinct.

Humans have an absolute maximum temperature that they can survive in. There is no "adapting" only dying. The earth will say good riddance.

There was a human extinction event during the Carboniferous period?

12 degrees doesn't sound like much. It'd make winters much more enjoyable, I think.

No more humans? Well, if that's they way it's intended to play out, you are right. On the cosmic scale of things, it's really not that big a deal.

Seriously?

You do realize that at one time this world was a hell of a lot hotter and all the little flowers and plants survived, in fact thrived. We have hard evidence of cultivated grape vines in Newfoundland and northern Germany. These longer summers have significant lengthened the northern growing season and farmers on the Canadian prairies are growing varieties of crops they could not ten years ago.

Yes, I am serious. Please recognize that I am talking about the currently living plants and animals. Citing to species that lived millions of years ago in vastly different climates does little to disprove my point when those species are either no longer living or have significantly mutated over the course of millions of years.

But even if you could find an exact genetic duplicate to a currently living plant or animal living in a vastly different climate, you are forgetting the rate at which those plants and animals adapted compared to the current rate at which we are adjusting the climate.

During the last 800,000 years, the last time that the CO2 concentration rose by 80 points (which is the amount that it rose from 1900 to 2000), the climate took about 5000 years. So we are currently adjusting the climate at a rate that is at least 50 times faster than natural variability.

I have much less confidence in the ability of the currently living plants and animals to survive such a rapid shift.

There was a human extinction event during the Carboniferous period?

12 degrees doesn't sound like much. It'd make winters much more enjoyable, I think.

No more humans? Well, if that's they way it's intended to play out, you are right. On the cosmic scale of things, it's really not that big a deal.

Humans did not exist in the Carboniferous period and it likely we won't exist if we try and make that climate happen again. At least you are being honest and admit you don't give a damn what happens after you are dead. That is a good attitude for deniers as time goes by and they have no other alternative but fatalism.

Researchers from the University of New South Wales in Australia and Purdue University in the US said global warming will not stop after 2100, the point where most previous projections have ended.
In fact temperatures may rise by up to 12C (21.6F) within just three centuries making many countries into deserts.
The study, published in the prestigious journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, said humans will not be able to adapt or survive in such conditions.
Professor Tony McMichael, one of the authors, said if the world continues to pump out greenhouse gases at the current rate it will cause catastrophic warming.
"Under realistic scenarios out to 2300, we may be faced with temperature increases of 12 degrees or even more," he said. "If this happens, our current worries about sea level rise, occasional heatwaves and bushfires, biodiversity loss and agricultural difficulties will pale into insignificance beside a major threat - as much as half the currently inhabited globe may simply become too hot for people to live there."

This is even less likely than the current round of IPCC alarm-ism.
if the world continues to pump out greenhouse gases at the current rate
At roughly 42% on the path to the first doubling of CO2, there are many who say we have passed peak oil.
I think we have passed peak easy/cheap oil, but there is a real question if we can ever actually
double the CO2 level. (we are running out of oil, and all that green stuff keeps growing faster and in more places.)
Under realistic scenarios out to 2300,we may be faced with temperature increases of 12 degrees
With an already too high ECS of 3 C for each doubling, it would take a CO2 level of 4480 ppm to get
a 12 C increase, there may not be that much hydrocarbon in the ground.

Yes, I am serious. Please recognize that I am talking about the currently living plants and animals. Citing to species that lived millions of years ago in vastly different climates does little to disprove my point when those species are either no longer living or have significantly mutated over the course of millions of years.

But even if you could find an exact genetic duplicate to a currently living plant or animal living in a vastly different climate, you are forgetting the rate at which those plants and animals adapted compared to the current rate at which we are adjusting the climate.

During the last 800,000 years, the last time that the CO2 concentration rose by 80 points (which is the amount that it rose from 1900 to 2000), the climate took about 5000 years. So we are currently adjusting the climate at a rate that is at least 50 times faster than natural variability.

I have much less confidence in the ability of the currently living plants and animals to survive such a rapid shift.

I really cannot buy into that theory. Plants adapt very quickly. I live in an area where some standing trees pre date Moses. I have much more faith in nature. Even Lake Erie has recovered a fishery.

Back
Top Bottom