• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hottest April Ever Recorded.

But as long as you are here, why don't you enlighten us all as to what, specifically, can be done to halt this horrible threat that has you shivering in terror under the bed.

Here is a list of 50 things that you, personally, can do to help slow down Global Warming.

Feel free to start there.

Yes, it has been abnormally dry over here, so the constant raining over here recently is pretty surprising to me. But I even remember once time it actually snowed here, but that was like years ago. I was still in elementary school when that happened.
As a teen in the 70's in Houston, they said it snowed every 7 years, I think it is closer
to every 10 years now, but rain and lots of it are all too common.
Thankfully, the city drains well, for the most part.
Houston Floods, but few cities could take a 10 to 15 inch rainfall event without some flooding.
The no zoning construction, has not helped ether.

El Nino may have something to do with temperatures and precipitation this year, yes. An El Nino is sometimes followed by it's opposite, so 2017 could be a cooler year than average. I'll be interested to see if the same people posting these hottest months "evah" will post notification of any cooling that might occur in the future year. Call me crazy, but I have my doubts.

I would argue that you are responding to a post where I specifically noted that 2017 is unlikely to be a new hottest year on record. I did predict that 2017 will still show up in the top 10 hottest on record, but if it doesn't - I will make a new post about being wrong.

If 2016 turns out to be the new hottest year on record, I'll be interested to see if the same people posting about how they had to take their plants inside in May on a thread devoted to April being the warmest April on record will post notifications of just how abnormal it is to have three consecutive hottest years on record. Call me crazy, but I have my doubts.

I think it is always funny when the AGW alarmist post something like this
as somehow this is proof of AGW.
It is proof we are in an really large El Nino.
But alas, the strong El Nino appears to be coming to an end.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/04/11/godzilla-el-nino-is-dead/
What is also missing is that the increase in average temperatures, is mostly occurring
in nighttime lows (T-Min), the high temperature have not changed much.

You keep making this argument that the reason we are experiencing the hottest years on record is because of an increase over the average in Nighttime lows as opposed to increases in the average of day time highs. But I haven't seen you explain why that is a significant fact? I would also note that I have never seen you support that claim with a citation.

As for El Nino - I think of El Nino like a trampoline for someone that wants to learn how to jump really high. They get on a trampoline and jump to see the highest point. And then they train for twenty years on how to jump. Then, they get back on a trampoline and jump to see the highest point. If they get higher than 20 years ago, they can realize that their training worked.

The same applies here. The average global temperatures during this El Nino period are significantly higher than the average global temperatures during the previous El Nino period. And the difference is AGW.

Here is a list of 50 things that you, personally, can do to help slow down Global Warming.

Please tell me what impact on global warming my doing those 50 things will have.

Plus how many of those 50 things have you done?

I would argue that you are responding to a post where I specifically noted that 2017 is unlikely to be a new hottest year on record. I did predict that 2017 will still show up in the top 10 hottest on record, but if it doesn't - I will make a new post about being wrong.

If 2016 turns out to be the new hottest year on record, I'll be interested to see if the same people posting about how they had to take their plants inside in May on a thread devoted to April being the warmest April on record will post notifications of just how abnormal it is to have three consecutive hottest years on record. Call me crazy, but I have my doubts.

I'll take my odds over yours. You have the AGW faithful in your camp predicting the end times. With regard to 2017, a La Nina following the strong El Nino is more likely than not. I am not in the climate prediction business, but it's amazing that those who are continue undaunted in spite of their inaccuracies.

Did you just miss the use of the modifier "more" or did you just not care?

"More" than what? I assume you are claiming that before man came along and ruined things, every year had a predictable number of droughts and floods that never varied, right?

You keep making this argument that the reason we are experiencing the hottest years on record is because of an increase over the average in Nighttime lows as opposed to increases in the average of day time highs. But I haven't seen you explain why that is a significant fact? I would also note that I have never seen you support that claim with a citation.

As for El Nino - I think of El Nino like a trampoline for someone that wants to learn how to jump really high. They get on a trampoline and jump to see the highest point. And then they train for twenty years on how to jump. Then, they get back on a trampoline and jump to see the highest point. If they get higher than 20 years ago, they can realize that their training worked.

The same applies here. The average global temperatures during this El Nino period are significantly higher than the average global temperatures during the previous El Nino period. And the difference is AGW.
If you have never seen me support the claim of diurnal asymmetry, you are not looking very hard.
Karl, et al (1993)
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1187&context=natrespapers
Monthly mean maximum and minimum temperatures for over 50% (10%) of the Northern (Southern) Hemisphere landmass, accounting for 37% of the global landmass, indicate that the rise of the minimum temperature
has occurred at a rate three times that of the maximum temperature during the period 1951-90 (0.84"C versus 0.28"C)
Hansen, et al (1995)
http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/1995/1995_Hansen_etal_2.pdf
They find that the average minimum temperature increased 0.84°C while the average maximum temperature
increased only 0.28°C.
Qu, et al (2014)
While the annual mean maximum air temperature of the continental USA has a very slightly increasing trend, the annual mean minimum air temperature is rising at a much faster rate,

As to El Nino and La Nina periods, their cycles more closely resemble,
constructive and destructive interference of multiple waves, of widely spaced frequencies.

Please tell me what impact on global warming my doing those 50 things will have.

Plus how many of those 50 things have you done?

A) Not much.

B) Not enough.

"More" than what? I assume you are claiming that before man came along and ruined things, every year had a predictable number of droughts and floods that never varied, right?

You are really terrible at this rhetorical questions game.

No, before man there were average amounts of these events with extreme outliers occurring infrequently. Once man began to significantly adjust the climate and going into the future, the instances of these events that were previously defined as extreme outliers because they did not conform within the range usually associated with the average will increase in their occurrence.

We're doing fine down here - a little on the wet side, maybe - but great for the spring garden. I'll have broccoli in another week. Who ya gonna believe - the AGW crowd or your lyin eyes? NE Ohio doesn't count - an outlier. They were probably boiling water on the streets in Djibouti - not an outlier statistically because. Just because.

You're going to have broccoli in a week, and I haven't even planted anything yet? :shock: Remind me to live a little further South in my next reincarnation since nobody likes whiners! :slapme:

You're going to have broccoli in a week, and I haven't even planted anything yet? :shock: Remind me to live a little further South in my next reincarnation since nobody likes whiners! :slapme:

Heh. I don't want to rub it in, but I have tomatoes as large as a dime on three plants. This is the first spring in more than a few years during which things have gone this well. Last year my broccoli bolted so fast I barely had time to harvest any at all, the green peppers and tomatoes weren't great, and I got no butternut squash at all from six mounds and for all practical purposes very healthy looking plants. I'm sure your garden will do fine when the weather breaks for you.

Please forard these to AL Gore, Barack Obama, Tom Friedman, Leo Dicarapio and the long list of useful liberal idiot entertainers who have carbon footprints the size of small countries.lol

You are really terrible at this rhetorical questions game.

No, before man there were average amounts of these events with extreme outliers occurring infrequently. Once man began to significantly adjust the climate and going into the future, the instances of these events that were previously defined as extreme outliers because they did not conform within the range usually associated with the average will increase in their occurrence.

Right. So were there more floods and droughts in America in 2016 or 2016 BC?

And will you be giving next months Planet Eulogy here at DP, or has someone else been chosen?

This is certainly a strange time with the weather . T shirts in December and sweaters in May.

The ENSO cycle is very strong this time around. Very strong el Nino followed by a strong la Nina.

Please forard these to AL Gore, Barack Obama, Tom Friedman, Leo Dicarapio and the long list of useful liberal idiot entertainers who have carbon footprints the size of small countries.lol

No thanks.

Right. So were there more floods and droughts in America in 2016 or 2016 BC?

And will you be giving next months Planet Eulogy here at DP, or has someone else been chosen?

I have no idea. OH GOD GLOBAL WARMING IS NOT REAL!?!?!?!?!

The Planet will be fine even under a worst case scenario. The currently living plants and animals are another question.

Heh. I don't want to rub it in, but I have tomatoes as large as a dime on three plants. This is the first spring in more than a few years during which things have gone this well. Last year my broccoli bolted so fast I barely had time to harvest any at all, the green peppers and tomatoes weren't great, and I got no butternut squash at all from six mounds and for all practical purposes very healthy looking plants. I'm sure your garden will do fine when the weather breaks for you.

The crows are not happy today, either. I don't know what their problem is, but it looks and sounds like a rerun of The Birds going on outside! They must see a danger from something on the ground, but both my cats are accounted for, so who knows? The neighbor' property borders on a wooded area, so they must see some kind of threat...

I appreciate the citations. As to my other question - why is that fact significant?

It will be difficult to satisfactorily explain the observed changes of the mean temperature until an
adequate explanation for the observed decrease in the DTR can be determined.
Hansen in 1995 speculated that the reason that T-Min and T-Max were not equal, was that
some effect was damping the increase in the T-Max, but that the damping would end.
We can safely predict that on the long run the effect of the diurnal damping on maximum temperatures will be small,
Twenty years later the diurnal asymmetry is still present.

The crows are not happy today, either. I don't know what their problem is, but it looks and sounds like a rerun of The Birds going on outside! They must see a danger from something on the ground, but both my cats are accounted for, so who knows? The neighbor' property borders on a wooded area, so they must see some kind of threat...

They are mating. I the spring crows gather in a single large group called, believe it or not a "murder".

You are probably near a nesting area.

DO NOT screw with them. Crows' vision is a good a an eagle and they remember facial features. Had a roommate once who threw a stick at one a near hit it. From that day on, the crow would lay in wait for him every morning and attack from behind. What stopped it was Jim carrying a tennis racket. The crow was smart enough to know he could get hurt by that tennis racket.

I think it is always funny when the AGW alarmist post something like this
as somehow this is proof of AGW.
It is proof we are in an really large El Nino.
But alas, the strong El Nino appears to be coming to an end.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/04/11/godzilla-el-nino-is-dead/
What is also missing is that the increase in average temperatures, is mostly occurring
in nighttime lows (T-Min), the high temperature have not changed much.

What is "missing"? Higher lows are consistent with the stronger greenhouse effect that the record levels of CO2 is causing.

Jack, you are new here. Were you chosen to roll out the April fear data by the environut left? Congratulations. Do you know who will starting the May fear thread by any chance? Is there a lottery drawing on that sort of thing? Or do you have to prove your chops in the liberal fear-o-sphere before starting a thread on AGW?

But as long as you are here, why don't you enlighten us all as to what, specifically, can be done to halt this horrible threat that has you shivering in terror under the bed.

Do you have a conspiracy fetish?

If you wanted to be enlightened, which evidently you don't, you would have learned before now not to make the foolish implication that having the answer to a problem is prerequisite to recognizing the problem's existence. But there are scientifically founded answers to dealing with warming you could find if you bothered to look.

Last edited:
It will be difficult to satisfactorily explain the observed changes of the mean temperature until an
adequate explanation for the observed decrease in the DTR can be determined.
Hansen in 1995 speculated that the reason that T-Min and T-Max were not equal, was that
some effect was damping the increase in the T-Max, but that the damping would end.

Twenty years later the diurnal asymmetry is still present.

As long as 2/3rds of the earth is water there will be damping. The excess heat is going onto the oceans.

sea-surface-temp-figure2-2015.png

The crows here demonstrate any time the blue jays or wood peckers move into the area. They're a noisy bunch when they get offended.

Back
Top Bottom