• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hotel fights back after Donald Trump threatens to not pay

Give me some credible links, for God's sake. Specifics. Not media crap. What's wrong with people?
You have to understand by now Maggie...most of these guys spend 24/7 slamming their sore damaged manginas just so they can find the slightest incident so they can shriek LOOK WHAT TRUMP DID TO MY MANGINA!!!

Seems to me the the hotel's A/C system was just stressed due to over-capacity not due to a malfunction or the system not operating at all. In hindsight, maybe the hotel manager should have followed fire ordinance policy and limited capacity to the maximum allowable limit. Still, I don't necessarily blame the hotel here. They provided a venue for Trump's event. He knew environmental conditions deteriorated as more people filled the ballroom and, as such, the temperature was not suitable to his liking. He made that clear when he addressed the crowd and commented on how warm it was in the ballroom. That said, cold air is optional. Stiffing your patrons with the bill is not.

Did he stiff the hotel? Or was he commiserating with the attendees? No one has any evidence AT ALL that he didn't pay.

You have to understand by now Maggie...most of these guys spend 24/7 slamming their sore damaged manginas just so they can find the slightest incident so they can shriek LOOK WHAT TRUMP DID TO MY MANGINA!!!

:lol:

No, but there were many thousands of people walking in and out, and yes, people had to go through security. Did backpacks cause the AC to not function properly? Or was it the purses. I guess dogs interfere with air conditioning in public spaces now. It's amazing that my dogs' indoor daycare remains so cool. Especially with the doors opening and closing from 6 am to 6 pm

You weren't there, I wasn't there, but unlike you, I know air conditioning is supposed to work, I know if I paid for a venue and it included central air conditioning I would expect it to be working, and you are going to amazing lengths to discredit Trump without any data. I get that though. There's a difference between people like me who actively choose to oppose Trump but don't make things up to attack him, and people who are so blinded by hatred they will hump any story to make the man look bad.

I'm not actually blinded by hatred - just pointing out that there are obvious differences between Las Vegas conventions you might have attended and an event in Roanoke with SS protection, and that a perfectly functioning HVAC system might not 'work' when stressed with conditions for which no one plans or accounts for. I don't actually give a damn about the hotel or the temperatures or if they get paid, just making common sense observations.

And if I wanted to attack Trump on this subject, it's much better to point out the pretty common experience according to the court files of him stiffing working people out of their full and agreed compensation just because he could. It's another thread so I won't post the relevant articles here.

We don't know, and neither do you. If you're basing your assumption on the press reports, then you and they are making the mistake of equating normal business negotiations with what you call stiffing. That's understandable since most in the press and many on the left (I know, redundant) like those that support unions over business have no knowledge of earning income based on merit and quality of services provided, rather than getting paid for just showing up, or just getting paid regardless.

200 Liens for non-payment going back to the 80's. Bit of a pattern there.

I'm not actually blinded by hatred - just pointing out that there are obvious differences between Las Vegas conventions you might have attended and an event in Roanoke with SS protection, and that a perfectly functioning HVAC system might not 'work' when stressed with conditions for which no one plans or accounts for. I don't actually give a damn about the hotel or the temperatures or if they get paid, just making common sense observations.

And if I wanted to attack Trump on this subject, it's much better to point out the pretty common experience according to the court files of him stiffing working people out of their full and agreed compensation just because he could. It's another thread so I won't post the relevant articles here.

A convention venue intended to hold a lot of people in 127 degrees in Las Vegas is no different than a convention venue in 97 degrees in Roanoke, except of course Las Vegas is 30 degrees hotter. The Secret Service presence doesn't cause air conditioning to cease functioning properly. I'm sure Barack Obama could back that up.

Just stop.

Even if that is true, you have NO IDEA whether or not those claims were justified. Nor do you know their disposition in the courts.

However...link please.

Did he stiff the hotel? Or was he commiserating with the attendees? No one has any evidence AT ALL that he didn't pay.

"You ought to try turning on the air conditioning or we are not going to get you paid," Trump said. "I pay my bills so fast with somebody good. With somebody average, I pay them OK.

I'll let you be the judge as to what Trump really means here and whether or not you think he has any intentions of meeting his financial obligation in this situation.

The A/C was on; it apparently just couldn't handle the capacity. As such, the overall quality of service was subpar based on environmental conditions, but was it something the hotel could have prevented or controlled? A judgement call for sure. In any case, you be the judge...pay the hotel or stiff another patron?

Yeah, OK, and I guess it makes no difference if the temps outside the ballroom are 68 or 85 - that won't affect the ballroom temps at all because the doors to the ballroom won't be open during that whole time as well.
Correct. It's like you saying it's too hot in your bedroom upstairs because someone left the doggy door open on the other side of the house and the a/c just can't keep up.

ON that, all I can say is if Trump's campaign contracted/leased this hotel ballroom with specific instructions that they wanted a venue capable of hosting guest to a certain capacity (i.e., 500-1000 people), serving food and drinks to specifications with air conditioning AND the ballroom exceeding its capacity limit and Trump knew that, it's debatable whether Trump should just pay up and accept the services rendered or if the hotel is responsible for not keeping a proper head count and turning people away at the door once they reached capacity.

I think ultimately, the hotel will probably just have to suck this one up. Pity...have you guys Googled the place? Their ballroom is exquisite! But if he walks out on the bill, they'll probably never host Donald Trump or one of his events ever again.

I doubt he will stiff them the full bill. If it was me I would want a discount, a fairly sizable one at that.

Going back to the '80's, I would imagine that tens of thousands of suppliers of services and materials have worked for all of Trump's companies. 200 is a very small number, and if it shows a pattern, then the pattern shown is one of paying their bills, not the other way around. You see, this is what I meant about the left not understanding business. Also, just because a lien was filed doesn't mean there was a problem with payment (refer to lutherf's posts), or that the lien was justified.

Let's see how much you actually know? The answer to this matters regarding the reason for the lien: Were the lien's against the title for the property, or against Payment and/or Performance Bonds issued for a master and/or general prime contract?

Even if that is true, you have NO IDEA whether or not those claims were justified. Nor do you know their disposition in the courts.

However...link please.
Reports: Donald Trump stiffs contractors - CNNPolitics.com
USA Today cited numerous examples, including a case as recent as last month in which a Miami-Dade County Circuit Court judge ordered Trump's company to pay a paint supply company more than $30,000 by the end of this month or face foreclosure of the Trump National Doral Miami golf club. According to The Miami Herald, The Paint Spot claimed Trump has owed them the money since 2014.
In another case, the Philadelphia cabinet business of Edward Friel Jr. was never paid more than $83,000 for work completed in 1984, the weight of which Friel's son said started the fall of the company.
USA Today analyzed at least 60 lawsuits and more than 200 mechanic's liens for the report, also finding 24 citations since 2005 of Trump's companies for violating the Fair Labor Standards Act "for failing to pay overtime or minimum wage."
The court records showed not only a pattern of not paying, but also of Trump companies tying up small businesses and individuals in lengthy legal dealings until they either settle, give up or sometimes go out of business altogether.

I think ultimately, the hotel will probably just have to suck this one up. Pity...have you guys Googled the place? Their ballroom is exquisite! But if he walks out on the bill, they'll probably never host Donald Trump or one of his events ever again.
Yes, but the fact that it was built in 1882 may be part of the reason why they're having trouble keeping it cool.

Thank you.

In response to the report, Trump told USA Today in an interview that he only stiffs or shorts bills if the work is unsatisfactory. "Let's say that they do a job that's not good, or a job that they didn't finish, or a job that was way late. I'll deduct from their contract, absolutely," Trump said. "That's what the country should be doing."

And his spokeswoman provided The Wall Street Journal with a list of companies that reported good business dealings with Trump's organization and in a few cases, bonuses for good work.

"I pay thousands of bills on time," Trump told the Journal. Trump weighed in on USA Today's report again on Saturday, tweeting, "@USATODAY did article saying I don't pay bills- false, only don't pay when work is shoddy, bad, or not done! They should do same!"

You prefer to believe that he is a crook. I prefer to think that he is an astute businessman. Interesting that your link details two stories after supposedly investigating a few hundred. Shoddy reporting. What was the disposition of the rest of them?

What were all those liens for? Do you know or are you just repeating little factoids without really knowing what's behind them?

With as many businesses and construction projects as Trump is involved in, 200 liens going back 30 years really doesn't sound like much. But again, it depends on the reasons for the liens.

This current situation sounds like a routine business disagreement. The customer has certain expectations, and believes the venue failed to provide them. Happens every single day.

If you contracted with someone to install a new deck and all you got was an 8'x8' concrete pad, would you pay them???
Him crying "****ty work" all the time is a game. He's also been cited for not paying proper wages, overtime etc. most of those he ended up forking up the money due to court intervention.

A convention venue intended to hold a lot of people in 127 degrees in Las Vegas is no different than a convention venue in 97 degrees in Roanoke, except of course Las Vegas is 30 degrees hotter. The Secret Service presence doesn't cause air conditioning to cease functioning properly. I'm sure Barack Obama could back that up.

Just stop.

I didn't say SS did - but having the doors open for a couple hours during the heat of the day while SS does their thing would/could have an impact....

It obviously does unless every convention held at that venue in the summer is too hot inside and I'm doubting that's the case, aren't you?

Back
Top Bottom