• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hospitals face ad blitz over Chick-fil-A, other fast food in cafeterias

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If the phrase "Eat More chickpeas" sounds familiar, that's exactly what the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine was hoping for. The play on the Chick-fil-A slogan "Eat More Chicken" is part of an ad campaign they're running in cities across the country against fast-food franchises setting up shop in hospitals.

"We're not trying to attack anyone. Our goal is to promote good health for patients. One of the ways you can do that is by eating a more healthful diet," said Stephen Neabore, MD, a physician with the Committee who practices internal medicine in Washington D.C.

Hospitals face ad blitz over Chick-fil-A, other fast food in cafeterias | Healthcare Finance News

Last edited by a moderator:
Bull****, all of it. The hospital cafeterias that have Chick-A-Fillets - that's NOT the only food they offer. Nor is that the food the hospital serves it's patients. These are hospitals - not fat camps. Hospitals where not all of the patients are there for dietary related problems. Where healthy people who happen to also like Chick-A-Fillet come to visit their ill and/or injured.

Screw the food Nazis.

Isn't this somewhat political? M_V no offense but most of us coming to this forum do not expect to have an argument in every single post and someone berating life choices every single day. This is really dragging the enjoyment of this sub forum down.

Isn't this somewhat political? M_V no offense but most of us coming to this forum do not expect to have an argument in every single post and someone berating life choices every single day. This is really dragging the enjoyment of this sub forum down.

Sorry, I know I should just let vegan spam go unanswered. That's probably the only way it will die off.

If the phrase "Eat More chickpeas" sounds familiar, that's exactly what the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine was hoping for. The play on the Chick-fil-A slogan "Eat More Chicken" is part of an ad campaign they're running in cities across the country against fast-food franchises setting up shop in hospitals.

"We're not trying to attack anyone. Our goal is to promote good health for patients. One of the ways you can do that is by eating a more healthful diet," said Stephen Neabore, MD, a physician with the Committee who practices internal medicine in Washington D.C.

The Committee, a nonprofit made up of 12,000 physicians, has placed most of the ads within a mile or two of all hospitals that host Chick-fil-A franchises. They include billboards above major roadways leading to hospitals as well as signage in nearby bus shelters to catch the attention of staff taking public transportation. In some cities, ads were placed in entire fleets of city buses, like in Charleston, South Carolina, where all 66 coaches flew the "Eat More Chickpeas" branding.

[Also: Hospital cafeteria upgrades focus on choice, health, improved patient experience]

While they aren't meant to be hostile, PCRM does want their anti-fast-food message to have bite. Neabore says the high calorie, high-cholesterol items common on fast-food menus like Chick-fil-A contribute to disease and serious long-term health complications like heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. He believes hospitals have the opportunity for teachable moments when it comes to nutrition for patients and staff that can have a ripple effect in the community.

"We want the hospitals to set an example for people and say, 'you're coming here and this is the food that we're giving you because it's been shown to be the healthiest food you can eat.' So then when people leave the hospital and go home they're like 'oh I ate great in the hospital. I felt so much better. Let me try and eat that same way at home,'" Neabore said.

"Many of the hospitals that host Chick-fil-A are in states with high rates of diet-related diseases, making hospitals part of the overall toxic food environment," said Angie Eakin, MD, one of the doctors who appears in the advertisements. "Hospitals should be fast-food-free, and patients should eat more chickpeas, vegetables, fruits, and other foods that can promote healing and prevent disease."

Healthy choices
Greenville Memorial Hospital in Greenville, South Carolina is home to a Chick-fil-A franchise, and PCRM placed their ads in a bus shelter right across the street. While the hospital offered no comment on the ads themselves or whether they consider Chick-fil-A food to be healthy, Chief Medical Officer Angelo Sinopoli, MD, elaborated on the system's commitment to health and wellness, listing some steps Greenville Health has taken to that end.

He said they offer "ChooseWell meals" that contain no more than 500 calories or 15 grams of fat in their cafeterias, and have made healthy food options more visible and less expensive. Last year, Sinopoli said they removed sugary drinks like sweet tea and full-calorie soda from their cafeterias and vending machines, and this year bid farewell to deep fryers, removing them from cafeterias in lieu of "combi ovens" that mimic the taste and texture of fried foods but with fewer fat and calories.

Hospitals face ad blitz over Chick-fil-A, other fast food in cafeterias | Healthcare Finance News

You know what's great to have when you're feeling down? A nice juicy steak.

but that's how you got into the hospital in the first place

Not statistically likely. Obesity isn't what most hospital patients are there for.

And there are of course cases where people need to gain weight.

This is political BS, probably aimed at Chick-fil-A because of the company's notably religious outlook. Otherwise, why pick on a relatively healthful fast food option while remaining silent about Burger King or Five Guys, just to name two?

This is political BS, probably aimed at Chick-fil-A because of the company's notably religious outlook. Otherwise, why pick on a relatively healthful fast food option while remaining silent about Burger King or Five Guys, just to name two?

This week I posted a picture of the ingredients in a Chick-Fil-A sandwich on my personal and Food Babe Facebook Page– I was curious to see the reaction from my family, friends and Food Babe readers. I found that some people were shocked and some people downright didn’t care and even celebrated the deliciousness in Chick-fil-A’s signature sandwich. You see – The number (close to 100) and type of ingredients are typical for fast food and for many chain restaurants. If you eat out and eat at these type of places, you are feeling the effects of these ingredients, whether you realize it or not. Ever wonder why you have to dose yourself with caffeine after lunch to stay awake? Or have uncontrollable cravings? Or why no matter how hard you work in the gym, you still carry around 10 extra pounds? Or experience depressed moods? Or have joint pain? Or headaches? Or can’t clear up your skin? Or have asthma and/or allergies?

Chickfila.jpg

Chick-fil-A or Chemical-Fil-A? - Food Babe

This week I posted a picture of the ingredients in a Chick-Fil-A sandwich on my personal and Food Babe Facebook Page– I was curious to see the reaction from my family, friends and Food Babe readers. I found that some people were shocked and some people downright didn’t care and even celebrated the deliciousness in Chick-fil-A’s signature sandwich. You see – The number (close to 100) and type of ingredients are typical for fast food and for many chain restaurants. If you eat out and eat at these type of places, you are feeling the effects of these ingredients, whether you realize it or not. Ever wonder why you have to dose yourself with caffeine after lunch to stay awake? Or have uncontrollable cravings? Or why no matter how hard you work in the gym, you still carry around 10 extra pounds? Or experience depressed moods? Or have joint pain? Or headaches? Or can’t clear up your skin? Or have asthma and/or allergies?

As I said, a relatively healthful fast food option. Still looks to be all political BS.

Chickfila.jpg

Chick-fil-A or Chemical-Fil-A? - Food Babe
You know, you run the risk of getting OCD over these ingredients, rather than just enjoying the tasty meal at hand.

I eat at Chick Fil A, and as far as this stuff goes it is pretty dayem tasty! And those 'born agains' staffing the place seem to provide really exceptional customer service. Seriously good service, for the environment.

And I can't say I particularly suffer from the things you claim I will.

But I do enjoy my meals thoroughly, and only fret over thinking of what I can do to provide even more flavor in the meals I buy or prepare! :thumbs:

You know, you run the risk of getting OCD over these ingredients, rather than just enjoying the tasty meal at hand.

I eat at Chick Fil A, and as far as this stuff goes it is pretty dayem tasty! And those 'born agains' staffing the place seem to provide really exceptional customer service. Seriously good service, for the environment.

And I can't say I particularly suffer from the things you claim I will.

But I do enjoy my meals thoroughly, and only fret over thinking of what I can do to provide even more flavor in the meals I buy or prepare! :thumbs:

you should aim higher than fast food. really.

The Committee, a nonprofit made up of 12,000 physicians, has placed most of the ads within a mile or two of all hospitals that host Chick-fil-A franchises. They include billboards above major roadways leading to hospitals as well as signage in nearby bus shelters to catch the attention of staff taking public transportation. In some cities, ads were placed in entire fleets of city buses, like in Charleston, South Carolina, where all 66 coaches flew the "Eat More Chickpeas" branding.

[Also: Hospital cafeteria upgrades focus on choice, health, improved patient experience]

While they aren't meant to be hostile, PCRM does want their anti-fast-food message to have bite. Neabore says the high calorie, high-cholesterol items common on fast-food menus like Chick-fil-A contribute to disease and serious long-term health complications like heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. He believes hospitals have the opportunity for teachable moments when it comes to nutrition for patients and staff that can have a ripple effect in the community.

"We want the hospitals to set an example for people and say, 'you're coming here and this is the food that we're giving you because it's been shown to be the healthiest food you can eat.' So then when people leave the hospital and go home they're like 'oh I ate great in the hospital. I felt so much better. Let me try and eat that same way at home,'" Neabore said.

"Many of the hospitals that host Chick-fil-A are in states with high rates of diet-related diseases, making hospitals part of the overall toxic food environment," said Angie Eakin, MD, one of the doctors who appears in the advertisements. "Hospitals should be fast-food-free, and patients should eat more chickpeas, vegetables, fruits, and other foods that can promote healing and prevent disease."

Healthy choices
Greenville Memorial Hospital in Greenville, South Carolina is home to a Chick-fil-A franchise, and PCRM placed their ads in a bus shelter right across the street. While the hospital offered no comment on the ads themselves or whether they consider Chick-fil-A food to be healthy, Chief Medical Officer Angelo Sinopoli, MD, elaborated on the system's commitment to health and wellness, listing some steps Greenville Health has taken to that end.

He said they offer "ChooseWell meals" that contain no more than 500 calories or 15 grams of fat in their cafeterias, and have made healthy food options more visible and less expensive. Last year, Sinopoli said they removed sugary drinks like sweet tea and full-calorie soda from their cafeterias and vending machines, and this year bid farewell to deep fryers, removing them from cafeterias in lieu of "combi ovens" that mimic the taste and texture of fried foods but with fewer fat and calories.

If you don't eat it all the time, it's fine. Having establishments like Chick-Fil-A in the cafe likely helps the hospital pay the bills. I don't know if a falafel cart would have the same impact. The patients likely are not getting Chick-Fil-A.

If you don't eat it all the time, it's fine. Having establishments like Chick-Fil-A in the cafe likely helps the hospital pay the bills. I don't know if a falafel cart would have the same impact. The patients likely are not getting Chick-Fil-A.

not much of an endorsement.

not much of an endorsement.

Not really endorsing it, I just don't think it's a bad thing. People can make their own choices, and if the hospital makes some money on the deal, all the better.

I will NOT stop eating fast food. I won't reduce it either. Why? Because, like most grown ups, I'm aware it is bad for me. I didn't need a politically motivated pop culture scientist to tell me either. I figured it out when I paid $1 for a piece of beef and bread and cheese. I wasn't exactly expecting something healthy. I wanted something to make fecal matter.

I don't make a habit of it. So I won't stop. I'm probably going to die at some point. I would rather live on the edge eating my tasty foods, rather than safe eating soylent green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will NOT stop eating fast food. I won't reduce it either. Why? Because, like most grown ups, I'm aware it is bad for me. I didn't need a politically motivated pop culture scientist to tell me either. I figured it out when I paid $1 for a piece of beef and bread and cheese. I wasn't exactly expecting something healthy. I wanted something to make fecal matter.

I don't make a habit of it. So I won't stop. I'm probably going to die at some point. I would rather live on the edge eating my tasty foods, rather than safe eating soylent green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you seem to be one of the people who fall for the mass marketing of chemical laden "fast food". McDonald's loves folks like you

Back
Top Bottom