• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Horse Domestication Date May Be Pushed Back 3,000 Years

Sharona

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative

AL MAGAR, SAUDI ARABIA—Some 300 stone artifacts crafted by the people of a previously unknown civilization have been unearthed in the desert of the Arabian Peninsula. The tools, arrow heads, scrapers, and statues of sheep, goats, ostriches, and horse-like animals are thought to be 9,000 years old.

Some of the horses are shown wearing tack, suggesting that these people may have been the first to domesticate them. “It could possibly be the birthplace of an advanced prehistoric civilization that witnessed the domestication of animals, particularly the horse, for the first time during the Neolithic period,” said Ali bin Ibrahim Al Ghabban of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquties.

continued

There is much more at the link.

BBC News - Desert finds challenge horse taming ideas

And the calendar's were different back then.

AL MAGAR, SAUDI ARABIA—Some 300 stone artifacts crafted by the people of a previously unknown civilization have been unearthed in the desert of the Arabian Peninsula. The tools, arrow heads, scrapers, and statues of sheep, goats, ostriches, and horse-like animals are thought to be 9,000 years old.

Some of the horses are shown wearing tack, suggesting that these people may have been the first to domesticate them. “It could possibly be the birthplace of an advanced prehistoric civilization that witnessed the domestication of animals, particularly the horse, for the first time during the Neolithic period,” said Ali bin Ibrahim Al Ghabban of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquties.

continued

There is much more at the link.

BBC News - Desert finds challenge horse taming ideas
That's cool, the more we learn the more we know!
There may be a difference between the training of wild horses and the domestication of horses,
but the difference is almost academic. Jerrod Diamond points out in Guns Germs and Steel,
that Elephants are not domesticated, but rather trained wild elephants.

That's cool, the more we learn the more we know!
There may be a difference between the training of wild horses and the domestication of horses,
but the difference is almost academic. Jerrod Diamond points out in Guns Germs and Steel,
that Elephants are not domesticated, but rather trained wild elephants.

I watched my Grandfather gentle a foal in tiny incremental steps.... so when it was old enough and strong enough to ride.... it had already become accustomed to the blanket and the saddle. The ancients were probably more skilled than we give them credit for being.

I watched my Grandfather gentle a foal in tiny incremental steps.... so when it was old enough and strong enough to ride.... it had already become accustomed to the blanket and the saddle. The ancients were probably more skilled than we give them credit for being.
I have no doubt you are correct.
I am sure Humans lost a bit of themselves when horses stopped being primary in our lives.
I do not think there would be a way to measure it, but like the Human link to Dogs,
the Human link to Horses appears to be very visceral.
Not everyone loves horses with the passion I see in some,
but I think like a living piece of art, A horse would invoke an emotional response into any exposed.

i suspect that a lot of things happened much earlier than we originally thought. it's a shame that written language didn't; i often wonder about the amazing history that we'll never know about.

Back
Top Bottom