• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hope for the future

ecofarm

global liberation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Kids like this make me think that maybe, as a world, we have a chance to become a decent place.

"Would it make you happy to marry me off?" asks Nada Al-Ahdal. In the nearly two-and-a-half-minute video, which was uploaded to YouTube and quickly went viral, Nada accuses her parents of trying to get her married off in exchange for money. She explains how she doesn't want to be one of Yemen's child brides.

"It's common more in the poorer communities," Aleryani said. "There is a proverb, a Yemeni saying: 'Marry an 8-year-old girl, she's guaranteed,' which means the 8-year-old girl is surely a virgin. It's a disgusting saying and inhumane, but it's said by everyone and it's very well-known."

"Things changed a lot after the revolution, and now people are more aware of the problem," she said. "Before we used to feel like there's no hope -- you can't do anything about it. Those conservative parties used to be stronger than us, but lately they are not."

CNN found Nada a few weeks after the video's release, and she was living with her uncle in Sanaa. She said it wasn't just her immediate family that she ran away from in her hometown of Hodeida. "I ran away from marriage," she said. "I ran away from ignorance. I ran away from being bought and sold."

Yemeni girl from YouTube wants education, not marriage - CNN.com

That is a very smart and stunningly courageous person. That is our hope for the future.

Back
Top Bottom