• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Honoring a brother's last wish: $500 tips on a cross-country mission - Cannot support

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
While a lot of us woke up Thursday morning to head back to work, or to the malls for Christmas returns, Seth Collins was hitting the road on what could be the final leg of an 18-month feel-good mission of brotherly love.Waiters and waitresses, rejoice. It's what Seth's kid brother, Aaron, wanted.
In fact, it was his last wish.
"Leave an awesome tip (and I don't mean 25%, I mean $500 on an f***ing pizza) for a waiter or waitress," Aaron wrote in his will. He was only 30 when he died on July 7, 2012.

Honoring a brother's last wish: $500 tips on a cross-country mission | Fox News

So I read this and thought "I should give, this is a good deal." So I went to the web page for it, but something was bothering me.... Did the poor guy die of Cancer? Was he terminally ill? A car crash?

No, it was his manner of death that made me stop, think about it and NOT support this.

Apparently her friend found him and cut him down? I don't know. They called the police, who brought an ambulance and transported him to the hospital. She didn't come. She left, and left the police to contact his family. He left him alone, dead. Which he was. His heart wasn't beating. They had to revive him.

And the anger isn't for me. I love him. I need him to come back. The anger is because he has made my mother, father, and sisters suffer in ways they never have before. So there is a conflicting emotion, to feel anger at someone who did that to people you love. I guess? I've had an hour of sleep and woke up with a call from my sister telling me our brother had hanged himself and was in critical condition. I'm lost.
My Brother's Last Wish: To Leave a $500 Tip...For Pizza - NeoGAF

Seth C is the brother. I cannot support this because it might encourage others to do something so selfish and stupid. This is a heartwarming story with a sad side that shouldn't be encouraged.

Re: Honoring a brother's last wish: $500 tips on a cross-country mission - Cannot sup

Well by all means don't support this. I'm sure millions are just waiting for your lead... :roll:

Suicide is very rough on those left behind, so many what-ifs and unanswered questions. However I am pretty sure supporting this won't start a spate of suicides. It runs a little deeper than a Forrest Gump 'just do it' moment. :peace

Re: Honoring a brother's last wish: $500 tips on a cross-country mission - Cannot sup

i like it. donated.

If someone commits suicide, you don't honor that man. You just don't. Because it encourages such. Seriously.

What?

... ... ...

If someone commits suicide, you don't honor that man. You just don't. Because it encourages such. Seriously.

I really don't think donating to that is going to encourage more people to kill themselves.

I really don't think donating to that is going to encourage more people to kill themselves.
My life is worthless, everyone would be better off if I were dead, oh look! This guy off'd himself and look at the good he did!

we don't agree on this. reality is a little more nuanced.

we don't agree on this. reality is a little more nuanced.
Ever work with suicide prevention? Ever talk someone out of killing.themselves? Ya, I didnt ****ing think.so.

Ever work with suicide prevention? Ever talk someone out of killing.themselves? Ya, I didnt ****ing think.so.

Yes. I also almost killed myself at age 17. You don't know ****, and I'm leaving the thread before I say something very uncivil to you.

Yes. I also almost killed myself at age 17. You don't know ****, and I'm leaving the thread before I say something very uncivil to you.

“For vulnerable kids, this might be the first time that they think that suicide might be a solution to their problems,” he told CTV News. “And that is really dangerous, especially if that suicide is portrayed in a very romantic fashion and there is a massive outpouring of love from the community. Then for those vulnerable youth, they might see suicide... as an attractive solution."

Read more: New research finds evidence of 'suicide contagion' among Canadian teens | CTV News

The THEORY I inartfully described is the contagion effect. Now you can get all pissy with me you want, but I DO know WTF I am talking about and while your feelings might have been all bent out of shape my stance is on saving lives, so be uncivil away if you want too. I CARE, what do you stand for? Hmmm

The THEORY I inartfully described is the contagion effect. Now you can get all pissy with me you want, but I DO know WTF I am talking about and while your feelings might have been all bent out of shape my stance is on saving lives, so be uncivil away if you want too. I CARE, what do you stand for? Hmmm

from what you've posted in this thread, it seems that explaining what it's like to be in that dark place would be difficult. some people are wired in a self destructive way. some can be helped, some can't.

i'm touchy about suicide, especially when the victims are very young, emotionally volatile, possibly mentally ill, and who lack the perspective that time gives us. however, those who fail to recover shouldn't be shunned into some purgatory of judgement by you or any other human. what this guy is doing for his brother is good; it helps him to turn an absolute disaster into something nice for other people. that's why i kicked in to the fund.

from what you've posted in this thread, it seems that explaining what it's like to be in that dark place would be difficult. some people are wired in a self destructive way. some can be helped, some can't.

i'm touchy about suicide, especially when the victims are very young, emotionally volatile, possibly mentally ill, and who lack the perspective that time gives us. however, those who fail to recover shouldn't be shunned into some purgatory of judgement by you or any other human. what this guy is doing for his brother is good; it helps him to turn an absolute disaster into something nice for other people. that's why i kicked in to the fund.

Yes, and it tells the next person thinking their life is worthless some good can come from it if they just died. I'm touchy too, and sorry while his brother is doing a "good thing" he's also IMHO sending a bad message.

Yes, and it tells the next person thinking their life is worthless some good can come from it if they just died. I'm touchy too, and sorry while his brother is doing a "good thing" he's also IMHO sending a bad message.

sometimes all that you can do when life hands you a pile of dung is to fertilize a field with it.

Back
Top Bottom