• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Honda's Shift to EVs.

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
With an incoming new CEO, a new strategy has taken hold at Honda. The carmaker will now focus on EV and hybrid production.

“It’s not enough to come out with products we can call EVs,” said Mibe. “We have to push our efforts to make it a viable business.” Honda has said two-thirds of its sales will focus on electrification—EVs and hybrids—by 2030. According to one source close to Honda, if anyone can achieve that goal, Mibe can.

This is a good thing, in that it means production plants all across the world will now need to be retooled to produce this new product. It also means that we'll have quieter streets and cleaner air as more and more IC engines are replaced by electric motors.

The old battery system, after 8-10 yrs, can be used as energy storage if not recycle with relatively little toxic waste compared to the environmental savings of replacing fossil fuel.

While it is unlikely that we will buy an EV any time soon, I do use a lot of battery powered tools. My only complaint is the ridiculous cost of replacement batteries, especially for the Echo brand 58v batteries.

While it is unlikely that we will buy an EV any time soon, I do use a lot of battery powered tools. My only complaint is the ridiculous cost of replacement batteries, especially for the Echo brand 58v batteries.

Yes, it is not unusual for the battery to cost more than the actual "tool."

With an incoming new CEO, a new strategy has taken hold at Honda. The carmaker will now focus on EV and hybrid production.

This is a good thing, in that it means production plants all across the world will now need to be retooled to produce this new product. It also means that we'll have quieter streets and cleaner air as more and more IC engines are replaced by electric motors.
Ditto for G.M.!

Unfortunately, it’s also not covered by the alleged warranty. I haven’t had similar problems with my Ryobi 18v tools.

My God, if you're going to go with 56 volts, why limit the amp hours to 4?
Yes, I do understand that the voltage increase compensates for the same wattage but I'd still like to see at least 56V @ 12aH minimum anyway.
Then one could realistically have 56 volt electric chainsaws.

Several parts of a digital cinema camcorder cost more than the actual camcorder itself, the LENSES, batteries and memory.
The lenses can sometimes cost more than an imported European supercar SUV.
Yes...seriously, I've seen complete multiple lens packages costing upwards of 150 thousand dollars or more.
No...we're not talking about the lenses you see at Best Buy. 🤣
And the batteries are very pricey as well.

My God, if you're going to go with 56 volts, why limit the amp hours to 4?
Yes, I do understand that the voltage increase compensates for the same wattage but I'd still like to see at least 56V @ 12aH minimum anyway.
Then one could realistically have 56 volt electric chainsaws.

I have an Echo 58v 16” bar chainsaw and it works just fine. The Echo brand chainsaw and 21” push mower each came with a 4ah battery, but the string trimmer and blower each came with a 2ah battery. The 4ah batteries recharge in under an hour and the 2ah batteries in under 1/2 an hour. Having multiple batteries allows for virtually endless tool use with their fairly rapid recharge times.

I have an Echo 58v 16” bar chainsaw and it works just fine. The Echo brand chainsaw and 21” push mower each came with a 4ah battery, but the string trimmer and blower each came with a 2ah battery. The 4ah batteries recharge in under an hour and the 2ah batteries in under 1/2 an hour. Having multiple batteries allows for virtually endless tool use with their fairly rapid recharge times.

I might have to go get one of those electric chainsaws because our palm trees are a nightmare. They're beautiful but dealing with those monster palm fronds is awful and a chainsaw would make short work of them. That's pretty much all I'd ever need it for.

Bound to happen, the writing is on the wall when it comes the automotive future.

Battery technology has come so far so fast.
Who would have thought ten years ago you could a powerful electric chainsaw just as powerful as gas operated???

Unfortunately, it’s also not covered by the alleged warranty. I haven’t had similar problems with my Ryobi 18v tools.

Gotta love the internet.

I have an old DeWalt driver/drill, two batteries and the charger. I usually leave a battery in the charger until I need it. Not sure if that is good for it...anyway the tool looks like it came right out of the box.

A year or two ago, one of the batteries got melted/stuck in the charger, being an older model, I figured I would have to upgrade. I did a little looking on the web and found out that there had been a recall. After contacting customer service, two new batteries and charger were shipped.

Bound to happen, the writing is on the wall when it comes the automotive future.

I still think gasoline automobiles will be around for quite some time but I think their role will change if for no other reason than the bland daily commutes will be so much easier in an electric car. A lot of folks who can afford to KEEP their cherished old gasoline cars will use them as a "second car" for pleasure, and it's the gasoline pleasure car that will live under a tarp in the garage while the electric commuter box will sit outside in the weather, unless it is something exotic like a Tesla or one of those new 120 thousand dollar electric Hummers.

Anyone SEEN that monstrosity? Amazing.

2022-gmc-hummer-ev.jpg

Who would have thought ten years ago you could a powerful electric chainsaw just as powerful as gas operated???

I'd love to hear @ttwtt78640's take on the real power of those electric chainsaws because a very very dear friend up in Washington State is a real honest to goodness genuine LUMBERJACK, or was until he retired at 59.
I don't know if a 56V-4aH electric chainsaw could fell a large tree but I'm sure it's good enough to lop off some branches or eviscerate old palm fronds.

I might have to go get one of those electric chainsaws because our palm trees are a nightmare. They're beautiful but dealing with those monster palm fronds is awful and a chainsaw would make short work of them. That's pretty much all I'd ever need it for.

The Pferd brand tool (available from Amazon or Walmart) makes quick work of keeping the chain sharp. It also keeps the depth stops at the proper level in the process. Just make sure you get the right size for your saw’s chain. Stihl makes the same type of tool but it costs more.

I was impressed when I saw my neighbour use his electric chainsaw. It was maybe 16" and he was cutting the full length of the bar no problem. My 61cc Husky can't do that. He might be better than I am at sharpening his chain but I use an Oregon file guide and sharpen every 2 or 3 tanksful so I doubt there's that much difference. That little electric saw just was punching 'way above It's weight class.

The Pferd brand tool (available from Amazon or Walmart) makes quick work of keeping the chain sharp. It also keeps the depth stops at the proper level in the process. Just make sure you get the right size for your saw’s chain. Stihl makes the same type of tool but it costs more.

Thank God he went into the sharpener business because a name like Pferd would turn most people into serial killers!
Juuuuust kidding, sounds like a great tool.
But I wonder how often I would need it since I suspect palm fronds will melt like butter under the weakest chainsaw.

I'd love to hear @ttwtt78640's take on the real power of those electric chainsaws because a very very dear friend up in Washington State is a real honest to goodness genuine LUMBERJACK, or was until he retired at 59.
I don't know if a 56V-4aH electric chainsaw could fell a large tree but I'm sure it's good enough to lop off some branches or eviscerate old palm fronds.

I haven’t seen any battery powered saws with larger than a 16” bars. Some brands “cheat” and use chains with only half as many teeth to reduce the drag, but the Echo brand does a great job even through hardwoods like mesquite, oak and ash.

I took this fairly large ash down to it’s 34” stump with my 16” battery chainsaw:

1617474510525.jpeg

Last edited:
I still think gasoline automobiles will be around for quite some time but I think their role will change if for no other reason than the bland daily commutes will be so much easier in an electric car. A lot of folks who can afford to KEEP their cherished old gasoline cars will use them as a "second car" for pleasure, and it's the gasoline pleasure car that will live under a tarp in the garage while the electric commuter box will sit outside in the weather, unless it is something exotic like a Tesla or one of those new 120 thousand dollar electric Hummers.

2022-gmc-hummer-ev.jpg

For the most part I agree.

I believe it was Jay Leno of all people, talking about his car collection, who equated what battery cars will do for gasoline cars to what gasoline cars did for the horse. From his perspective we damn near damaged the species of horse perhaps close to extinction by overuse. Along came innovation at the time and we started driving cars taking all that pressure off the horse for transportation of people and goods. Now we know that gasoline cars caused several other consequences but namely environmental, so the switch to battery cars will save the gasoline cars still around.

The horse is still around, debates aside are something other than transportation needed.

In the future the gasoline car will still be around here and there. Enjoyed and viewed from history, exceptions here and there for practicality of vehicle purpose, but will also eventually not be needed to get you to work.

Thank God he went into the sharpener business because a name like Pferd would turn most people into serial killers!
Juuuuust kidding, sounds like a great tool.
But I wonder how often I would need it since I suspect palm fronds will melt like butter under the weakest chainsaw.
Gasoline cars with 40 mpg and 300,000 miles of life for $25K are hard to beat when an equivalent EV costs $100K. But, the automakers will prefer the simpler EV with thousands of fewer moving parts to assemble. If EV's are ever mass produced like the Model T, they might come down in cost to the $10k range.

For the most part I agree.

I believe it was Jay Leno of all people, talking about his car collection, who equated what battery cars will do for gasoline cars to what gasoline cars did for the horse. From his perspective we damn near damaged the species of horse perhaps close to extinction by overuse. Along came innovation at the time and we started driving cars taking all that pressure off the horse for transportation of people and goods. Now we know that gasoline cars caused several other consequences but namely environmental, so the switch to battery cars will save the gasoline cars still around.

The horse is still around, debates aside are something other than transportation needed.

In the future the gasoline car will still be around here and there. Enjoyed and viewed from history, exceptions here and there for practicality of vehicle purpose, but will also eventually not be needed to get you to work.

If I can afford it someday, my plan is to keep the hybrid Volt, our hybrid Pacifica and eventually get the cheapest 100 mile range electric econobox I can find used, and then put together a dream gasoline chariot for fun, but even that will be an homage to environmental because my dream car is a 1964 or 1965 Imperial, only with a 3.6 L supercharged Pentastar V6 where the old 413 V8 used to be, mated to the Pentastar certified ZF 9speed.
It would actually have MORE power than the 413 (about 420 HP) but it will get better fuel economy.
I've been shopping pick-a-part engines pulled from modern day Jeeps and the Pentastar with the ZF 9 speed is very affordable.
Then all I need is front disc brakes and that's a 64/65 Imperial that's ready for modern freeways.

Big, obnoxious, luxurious, reasonably fast and comfortable, and probably only used on weekends for date night.
If I can't find an engineless Imperial cheap enough I'd still be happy with a 65 New Yorker, also very nice.

2022-gmc-hummer-ev.jpg

Yep, but starting at $106K I don’t see having one in my driveway in the near future. ;)

Gasoline cars with 40 mpg and 300,000 miles of life for $25K are hard to beat when an equivalent EV costs $100K. But, the automakers will prefer the simpler EV with thousands of fewer moving parts to assemble. If EV's are ever mass produced like the Model T, they might come down in cost to the $10k range.

Forget ten thousand dollar cars unless they are Chinese or Indian made.
The "ten thousand dollar car" is actually 15 to 17 thousand today.
And yes, you WILL see plenty of them soon.
Tesla is going to be rolling out an EV in the 25 thousand dollar range, that is very competitive.
And watch as GM does even better.

Yep, but starting at $106K I don’t see having one in my driveway in the near future. ;)

I didn't say it was an economy car, or even an economy truck.
It's the kind of thing you'll see celebrities buying.
You and I ain't celebrities.
I was a D-List or even E-List "almost famous" once upon a time, now I doubt I could even get arrested! 🤣

Back
Top Bottom