• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Homosexuals Adopting?

Should homosexuals have to take a parenting test prior to adopting

• Total voters

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Should homosexuals have to take a parenting test prior to adopting?

An argument can be made that everybody should have to take such a test but homosexuals seem to fall outside the parameters of a heterosexual relationship that can produce children so it seems that they whould require a special accomodation certificate to adopt.

What are your thoughts?

Everyone should have to take a parenting test prior to adopting...

Isn't it pretty strict?

I misread the question and counted the wrong vote. Anyway, this question is a moot point, as any couple or anyone wanting to adopt has to take a "parenting test" so to speak. The adoption process is rigorous regardless.

No, we have absolutely no *scientific or empirical data proof* that homosexual parents are problematic parents.

Sure, you can find the occasional "study" by some social conservative backed group saying otherwise. But at the end of the day a caring and good parent has no relation to sexual orientation.

Do straight people have to take a test?

Soooo, no.

I don't think anyone is prepared to be a parent. I believe your first kid teaches you via on-the-job-training. ;)

I misread the question and counted the wrong vote. Anyway, this question is a moot point, as any couple or anyone wanting to adopt has to take a "parenting test" so to speak. The adoption process is rigorous regardless.

hmmm... good point. shouldn't they have to prove that they can change diapers and not let the baby sleep on its stomach though? Stuff like that?

No, we have absolutely no *scientific or empirical data proof* that homosexual parents are problematic parents.

Sure, you can find the occasional "study" by some social conservative backed group saying otherwise. But at the end of the day a caring and good parent has no relation to sexual orientation.

Nothing about them being problematic... just, as they are homosexuals, they might be confused (or something) about raising kids since they can't actually have kids of their own.

Do straight people have to take a test?

Soooo, no.

I don't think anyone is prepared to be a parent. I believe your first kid teaches you via on-the-job-training. ;)

I was prepared... it all made sense right away.

Requirements for Foster/Adopt Families

Basic Requirements

The prospective foster/adoptive parents may be single or married and must:

be at least 21 years of age, financially stable, and responsible mature adults,
complete an application (staff will assist you, if you prefer),
share information regarding their background and lifestyle,
provide relative and non-relative references,
show proof of marriage and/or divorce (if applicable),
agree to a home study which includes visits with all household members,
allow staff to complete a criminal history background check and an abuse/neglect check on all adults in the household, and
attend free training to learn about issues of abused and neglected children.
The training provides an opportunity for the family and DFPS to assess whether foster care or adoption is best for the family. The family may withdraw from the meetings at any time. There is no charge for the meetings. Foster/adoptive parents generally train together.

Additional Foster Care Requirements

In addition to the basic requirements, foster parents must:
have adequate sleeping space.
allow no more than 6 children in the home including your own children or children for whom you provide day care.
agree to a nonphysical discipline policy.
permit fire, health and safety inspections of the home.
vaccinate all pets.
obtain and maintain CPR/First Aid Certification.
obtain TB testing as required by the local Health Department for household members.
attend 20 hours or more of training each year.
https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Adoption_and_Foster_Care/Get_Started/requirements.asp

Yep they have to take a TB test atleast, lol..

hmmm... good point. shouldn't they have to prove that they can change diapers and not let the baby sleep on its stomach though? Stuff like that?

In most cases a potential adoptor must have a steady income that can support the child and themselves, no felonies, and pass numerous behavioral questions from the interviewer. Anyone going through this process and in this position, would almost definitely possess the knowledge on how to change a diaper. So I think testing those "skills" would be rather irrelevant regardless of sexual orientation.

Everyone should have to take a parenting test prior to adopting...

Isn't it pretty strict?

The hoops a couple goes thru are intense, from multiple interviews to financial stability. These are intense and highly intrusive, which I find no issues with.

Last edited:
In most cases a potential adoptor must have a steady income that can support the child and themselves, no felonies, and pass numerous behavioral questions from the interviewer. Anyone going through this process and in this position, would almost definitely possess the knowledge on how to change a diaper. So I think testing those "skills" would be rather irrelevant regardless of sexual orientation.

But those are all tests so every "NO" vote is wrong..

It's a gotcha question and it got a bunch of liberals already..

But those are all tests so every "NO" vote is wrong..

It's a gotcha question and it got a bunch of liberals already..

Lol, it's hardly a gotcha question. Those tests are applied to every adoptor. I think the asker is not knowledgable about the adoption process, so although there isn't an answer to this question that would actually express your viewpoint, a no answer would infer that you are against any unequal treatment due to sexual orientation.

Lol, it's hardly a gotcha question. Those tests are applied to every adoptor. I think the asker is not knowledgable about the adoption process, so although there isn't an answer to this question that would actually express your viewpoint, a no answer would infer that you are against any unequal treatment due to sexual orientation.

It got you too..

Everyone should be treated the same. If heterosexuals have to take a test, so should homosexuals. If heterosexuals do not, neither should homosexuals. Easy peasy.

Nothing about them being problematic... just, as they are homosexuals, they might be confused (or something) about raising kids since they can't actually have kids of their own.

You are acting like homosexuals or lesbians somehow are lacking some information that is magically given to heterosexual parents.

Should homosexuals have to take a parenting test prior to adopting?

An argument can be made that everybody should have to take such a test but homosexuals seem to fall outside the parameters of a heterosexual relationship that can produce children so it seems that they whould require a special accomodation certificate to adopt.

What are your thoughts?

treat them the same as a hetero couple

You are acting like homosexuals or lesbians somehow are lacking some information that is magically given to heterosexual parents.

I am just asking a question...

Back
Top Bottom