• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Homosexuality: The Mental Illness That Went Away[W:335]

Re: Homosexuality: The Mental Illness That Went Away

Freud has been debunked numerous times. He also was very sexist, and no I am not a feminist. Homosexuality can be found in various animal species as well. Homosexuality is genetic as often people who are homosexuals tend to have biological family members who are homosexual as well. I don't see someone being homosexual as a problem. We have sick people out there committing acts of bestiality, murder, and more. I feel also many youth claiming to be homosexual in fact are not but either have been sexually abused and struggle with terms of sexuality, with much of the abuse happening in the infancy or toddler years OR they claim to be homosexual to get a "minority" label on them because that's the cool thing to do, and hey maybe they'll get state benefits.

But yes, some people are homosexual and I don't see the issue with that. Many homosexuals still believe in God.

not reading the thread again, no surprise here

It's 86 pages and I just got here. Can you give me the short version of the evidence that led to homosexuality being classified as a mental illness?

It's 86 pages and I just got here. Can you give me the short version of the evidence that led to homosexuality being classified as a mental illness?

I kept asking for it but never received any info.

I don't know how it appeared in the dsm in the first place but it's likely because it is so unusual. It also causes stress on people in some cases due to the desire to be "normal."

Rocket man would prefer that it stay a mental illness so he can justify his prejudice.

It got in the DSM because Freud and others concluded it's a pathology and it allowed the profession to gain medical relevance and to rake in profits, no different from the church's motives. But in reality, this debate all began by 1870 in Europe, long before the DSM existed.

It got in the DSM because Freud and others concluded it's a pathology and it allowed the profession to gain medical relevance and to rake in profits, no different from the church's motives. But in reality, this debate all began by 1870 in Europe, long before the DSM existed.

Funny, Freud was known to have engaged in homosexual sex

Homosexuality and paranoia are natural bedfellows - in a claustrophobic society where to stand out as homosexual is to be subject to coercive penalties such as summary discharge from the military.

I grew up in San Francisco. I lived and worked in a very gay area in the late 70's. I knew too many gay people with mental health issues. But in talking to them they all had similar formative years. If they kept their sexuality a secret, they lived a lie that included dating opposite sex individuals and keeping up lies 24/7/365. If they came out to a friend they thought was solid - they were instantly ostracized and outed. Many I met had been runaways, fending for themselves as they hitched across country to SF. They became prey to predators. That would challenge anyone's mental health.

If they outed themselves to their family they were seen as the one that split the family in two.

I grew up in San Francisco. I lived and worked in a very gay area in the late 70's. I knew too many gay people with mental health issues. But in talking to them they all had similar formative years. If they kept their sexuality a secret, they lived a lie that included dating opposite sex individuals and keeping up lies 24/7/365. If they came out to a friend they thought was solid - they were instantly ostracized and outed. Many I met had been runaways, fending for themselves as they hitched across country to SF. They became prey to predators. That would challenge anyone's mental health.

If they outed themselves to their family they were seen as the one that split the family in two.

Seeing the youngsters gives me hope. I have a 15 year old and he doesn't have any trouble with social adjustment. Makes me wish I had been born fifteen years later.

Seeing the youngsters gives me hope. I have a 15 year old and he doesn't have any trouble with social adjustment. Makes me wish I had been born fifteen years later.

Hope in decent places sure. Rural areas are still like the 1970s for anyone "different."

Hope in decent places sure. Rural areas are still like the 1970s for anyone "different."

It's gotta start somewhere. I just keep hope.

It's gotta start somewhere. I just keep hope.

Well but i bring it up because those places need to be shamed and reformed instead of get a free pass simply because Houston is getting better.

Well but i bring it up because those places need to be shamed and reformed instead of get a free pass simply because Houston is getting better.

I agree. Something does need to be done. I just like looking at what has happened as good and keep going.

That is to some extent true.

Well i lived it and support for gay rights has gone *down* the past 15 years out in the sticks. How can we explain this? Out there, heterosexuality is a mental illness. It's a perversion, a disease that manifests as delusional thinking that people actually choose their sexuality. There are normal people and then there's straight people. :lol:

Well i lived it and support for gay rights has gone *down* the past 15 years out in the sticks. How can we explain this? Out there, heterosexuality is a mental illness. It's a perversion, a disease that manifests as delusional thinking that people actually choose their sexuality. There are normal people and then there's straight people. :lol:
I have always lived in a huge city aside from a few months in Wyoming and a year and a half in Waco.

I have always lived in a huge city aside from a few months in Wyoming and a year and a half in Waco.

I lived on a ranch just outside of Waco

Back
Top Bottom