• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Homosexuality and the Bible[W:223]

That's true, according to the Bible we're all sinners. But Jesus didn't embrace people's sins. He told people repent of them or they would perish (Luke 13:3). And he told them unless they received him they would also perish (John 3:36, etc.).

I'm not saying to embrace anyone's sins but to embrace the person. Again, during Jesus' time on earth He was among the "undesirables" of society. The times where He really got fired up was with the actual religious leadership of the time.

So what about that book do you think is convincing, or valid?? What specific arguments does it make that you can show has validity?

Why don't you read it and find out?

I'm not saying to embrace anyone's sins but to embrace the person. Again, during Jesus' time on earth He was among the "undesirables" of society. The times where He really got fired up was with the actual religious leadership of the time.

Sure - embrace the person, but lead them to repentance and salvation if you can. Don't let then go down to hell without a Word. That's what their fair-minded friends do - pat them on their backs all the way down to perdition. With friends like that who needs enemies?

And it wasn't just the religious leaders Jesus got fired up over, it included many of the regular Jews of his day, and even some who claimed to believe him. Just read John 8:31 forward for that one.

Why don't you read it and find out?

I did.. and thought it was poorly written., full of the standard very bad apologists, and written to suck money out of believers, following the standard apologist book formula.

That is the story. what hasn't been shown is that story is actually true
If Logicman could do that I'd believe in his god but, I still wouldn't worship the sob.

I did.. and thought it was poorly written., full of the standard very bad apologists, and written to suck money out of believers, following the standard apologist book formula.

Horse manure. What you did was throw the truth into your corner trash can, like you always do.

Horse manure. What you did was throw the truth into your corner trash can, like you always do.

If it is 'horse manure', then you will be able to discuss the points the book made, in a coherent fashion, and explain why you think it is convincing. If you can't, well, that demonstrates that the book is indeed horse manure.

Yeah, they have, at Calvary.

Problem with that claim is, it never occurred. First of all there were no trees in that area large enough to make a cross as depicted. Secondly because of that fact, the Romans used an X frame for the rare occasions they actually did crucify someone. Thirdly, there never was a jesus/yeshua as portrayed in the Book Of Lies.

Again, the problem with your position is there never was a jesus. Those who would have considered such a person "undesirable" were meticulous record keepers and many of these records co-temporaneous with the time never mention such a person or any of the antic the Book OF Lies would has so many of you suckered into believing. The so-called Dead Sea Scrolls are also completely silence on such an person or such events and the writers were completely involved with the religious and political goings on of the time.

Again, the problem with your position is there never was a jesus. Those who would have considered such a person "undesirable" were meticulous record keepers and many of these records co-temporaneous with the time never mention such a person or any of the antic the Book OF Lies would has so many of you suckered into believing. The so-called Dead Sea Scrolls are also completely silence on such an person or such events and the writers were completely involved with the religious and political goings on of the time.

Flush

Cool story, bro. What does that have to do with what we are discussing?

Can't imagine it being better. I live in a country which doesn't have institutionalized racism, doesn't jail women for having miscarriages, doesn't have multiple murders every day in all of our major cities, has allowed gay marriages for years now and doesn't have a mysogynistic, racist, elitest bonehead about to become the leader of our country.

There's a lot about America you cannot understand, and plenty about the poster you go off on a tangent to belittle as well. None of that is surprising. What's especially pathetic though is the extent of ignorance, or at least revisionism, you display for your own culture. Seriously, you're going to pretend that Europe doesn't have centuries of "institutionalized racism", never jailed women for losing pregnancies, never had complete dolts running the government?

You know there is a way to communicate simply "I disagree with the way things are currently in this respect" without getting personal. You might even discover that millions of Americans agree with you, but i know, that might put at risk your calculation that everyone here is a ****in idiot, so best to not head down that path

Can't imagine it being better. I live in a country which doesn't have institutionalized racism, doesn't jail women for having miscarriages, doesn't have multiple murders every day in all of our major cities, has allowed gay marriages for years now and doesn't have a mysogynistic, racist, elitest bonehead about to become the leader of our country.

Nice...how's it feel to know you take sloppy seconds to a country you have so low of an opinion of?

There's a lot about America you cannot understand, and plenty about the poster you go off on a tangent to belittle as well. None of that is surprising. What's especially pathetic though is the extent of ignorance, or at least revisionism, you display for your own culture. Seriously, you're going to pretend that Europe doesn't have centuries of "institutionalized racism", never jailed women for losing pregnancies, never had complete dolts running the government?

You know there is a way to communicate simply "I disagree with the way things are currently in this respect" without getting personal. You might even discover that millions of Americans agree with you, but i know, that might put at risk your calculation that everyone here is a ****in idiot, so best to not head down that path

Interesting and revealing response and I thank you for it. One of the first errors you commit is talking about "America". Americans in general are so insular they think they are the only country on the continent. Surprise! There is another one south of you and one just a tad north which constitute more square miles that do you. You might also consider thinking about the fact everyone who lives in North America is an "american". Though not all of us hate people just because of the colour of their skin.

I can't speak at all about Europe as I have not been there. However anecdotally and from things I have read, europe is far more accepting of other races than what current news suggest in the US.

Furthermore, it matters not a whit what happened elsewhere and elsewhen. What is cogent is what is happening now in the US. The jailing of a woman because she had a miscarriage happened in YOUR country. Not some third world, dirt poor, intellectually backward, inbred (like Alabama) country.

How ya doing? Are you bright enough to understand what has been written here?

BTW, I live in Canada...perhaps you need to do some critical thinking about the assumptions you make and at the same time familiarize yourself with what amounts to your own backyard. Cheers.

Nice...how's it feel to know you take sloppy seconds to a country you have so low of an opinion of?

It feels very comforting to know we can accept people of all races and religious beliefs with relatively little friction. While we do have some folks with a Texas/Utah/Alabama etc ignorant and mind dead approach, they are relatively few. Broadly speaking, anyone-even ignorant Texans-will be welcome and treated like just folks here...even you. Sloppy seconds to a country which treats people like dirt if they they don't fit the racist profile? I feel good about being morally superior to that kind of thinking. Hell Bigot, I'd even give you a beer. A REAL beer not armadillo piss you drink down thataway.

Interesting and revealing response and I thank you for it. One of the first errors you commit is talking about "America". Americans in general are so insular they think they are the only country on the continent. Surprise! There is another one south of you and one just a tad north which constitute more square miles that do you. You might also consider thinking about the fact everyone who lives in North America is an "american". Though not all of us hate people just because of the colour of their skin.

I can't speak at all about Europe as I have not been there. However anecdotally and from things I have read, europe is far more accepting of other races than what current news suggest in the US.

Furthermore, it matters not a whit what happened elsewhere and elsewhen. What is cogent is what is happening now in the US. The jailing of a woman because she had a miscarriage happened in YOUR country. Not some third world, dirt poor, intellectually backward, inbred (like Alabama) country.

How ya doing? Are you bright enough to understand what has been written here?

BTW, I live in Canada...perhaps you need to do some critical thinking about the assumptions you make and at the same time familiarize yourself with what amounts to your own backyard. Cheers.

No i gathered all that. An actual European would be a lot less predictable. Consider it just another means to thumb my nose at you

I have been to canada and had canadians living on my floor; it and they did not impress me. True, it's somewhat harder to lay sweeping claims - institutionalized racism - against a country that is smaller than many states, and doomsday scenarios against its supposed future political leader (does canada have a king or a samurai or what??), when it never dares to reach a point of relevance that would cause its neighbors to at least remember those leaders but hey, i will not give up so easily....

"In 1880, the Canadian government began sponsoring religious schools designed to assimilate Aboriginal children into Euro-Canadian culture. From the 1930s to the 1990s, institutions across the country were dedicated to assimilating Aboriginal children into the dominant culture. Many children were taken from their parents and subjected to humiliating abuse, scientific experiments and poor living conditions. Aboriginal culture was routinely insulted, and many students were beaten if they spoke their own language....

Aboriginal women account for only 4.3 per cent of Canadian women, but 16 per cent of all homicide victims.

Black Canadians have faced higher scrutiny from police and reports show evidence of racial profiling. One study found that police described 33.6 per cent of drivers stopped in Toronto by police as Black, compared to about 8.1 per cent of the total population being Black"

Hell, ya'll even have a "Chinese head tax"

Racism - The Canadian Encyclopedia

It feels very comforting to know we can accept people of all races and religious beliefs with relatively little friction. While we do have some folks with a Texas/Utah/Alabama etc ignorant and mind dead approach, they are relatively few. Broadly speaking, anyone-even ignorant Texans-will be welcome and treated like just folks here...even you. Sloppy seconds to a country which treats people like dirt if they they don't fit the racist profile? I feel good about being morally superior to that kind of thinking. Hell Bigot, I'd even give you a beer. A REAL beer not armadillo piss you drink down thataway.

Lol...sure. I will say that I'm at a disadvantage as I don't know where you're from, that you're touting about. Either way, the U.S. still drives the entire world. If we were to collapse then the entire world would as well. I'm even willing to bet that the security of your country depends more on the U.S. military than your own abilities to defend yourself. It's OK...us dummies will save you if something happens.

While you're so hung up on the yokel running for president currently, i notice you conveniently left out the black president we've had the past 8 years. $$ and political affiliation ensures our elections will be rigged against the common man 90% of the time. THAT is the problem and it remains a problem, but it is not the problem you're accusing us of ------- all of us being complete racists or whatever the ****

While you're so hung up on the yokel running for president currently, i notice you conveniently left out the black president we've had the past 8 years. $$ and political affiliation ensures our elections will be rigged against the common man 90% of the time. THAT is the problem and it remains a problem, but it is not the problem you're accusing us of ------- all of us being complete racists or whatever the ****

I didn't ignore Obama, I accepted it. Best president you have ever had. Racism is endemic in the US. Listen to a sports station and the race of any given athelete is always a factor in the discussion. Listen to talk radio, race always come up. Here in Canada it is hardly ever mentioned and is never a factor in service or neighbours. I met some lovely ladies from Dallas a couple of years ago on their first ever visit to Canada and Victoria. We had a nice chat ans they said "Y'all are so friendly. I think y'all look out your window and say "Look! There are some black people, lets go out and be nice to them". Then they asked where the "'hood" was. I advised them there wasn''t one. Where to they live then? they asked. Wherever they like I told them. The look on their faces was educational.

Moderator's Warning:

Sure - embrace the person, but lead them to repentance and salvation if you can. Don't let then go down to hell without a Word. That's what their fair-minded friends do - pat them on their backs all the way down to perdition. With friends like that who needs enemies?

And it wasn't just the religious leaders Jesus got fired up over, it included many of the regular Jews of his day, and even some who claimed to believe him. Just read John 8:31 forward for that one.

This is not the thread for proselytizing.

No i gathered all that. An actual European would be a lot less predictable. Consider it just another means to thumb my nose at you

I have been to canada and had canadians living on my floor; it and they did not impress me. True, it's somewhat harder to lay sweeping claims - institutionalized racism - against a country that is smaller than many states, and doomsday scenarios against its supposed future political leader (does canada have a king or a samurai or what??), when it never dares to reach a point of relevance that would cause its neighbors to at least remember those leaders but hey, i will not give up so easily....

"In 1880, the Canadian government began sponsoring religious schools designed to assimilate Aboriginal children into Euro-Canadian culture. From the 1930s to the 1990s, institutions across the country were dedicated to assimilating Aboriginal children into the dominant culture. Many children were taken from their parents and subjected to humiliating abuse, scientific experiments and poor living conditions. Aboriginal culture was routinely insulted, and many students were beaten if they spoke their own language....

Aboriginal women account for only 4.3 per cent of Canadian women, but 16 per cent of all homicide victims.

Black Canadians have faced higher scrutiny from police and reports show evidence of racial profiling. One study found that police described 33.6 per cent of drivers stopped in Toronto by police as Black, compared to about 8.1 per cent of the total population being Black"

You guys need to stop derailing the thread. None of this has anything to do with the thread topic. It's not about race, racism, the U.S., Canada or Europe.

From here on out posts need to reflect the topic of the thread. Anyone not demonstrating their interest in being productive in the discussion of that topic, will be removed.

Do not quote and respond to any post prior to this warning that is not on-topic. Thread bans and/or points are possible.

Proof a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The residential schools are a blot on our history for certain. The last one closed in the 1960's. They were all run by various religious groups who committed many atrocities in the name of their collective, though imaginary, god. They are now paying for those crimes. In fact, I had the great pleasure of selling one of the churches the Anglican diocese had to get rid of to help pay the fines and reparation.

Toronto police have a definite problem, though I believe that has been corrected now through firings and changed recruitment practices. You won't find such activities taking place in other Canadian cities. You cannot say the same about US cities.

The poll tax on Chinese was largely limited to BC because that is where the majority of Chinese wanted to come. Golden Mountain was the mythology which attracted them. It was wrong in hindsight, but those were different times. Like slavery in the US. The poll tax has not been in effect since the late 1940's. Don't point fingers, the US also had anti-Chinese legislation. You might find this enlightening; Chinese Canadian ...Since 1858

It is useful to know in relation to the deaths of native women that most of the offenders are native men.

Our Canadian government is headed up by a big Esquimaux. He ascends the chair every four years after a big dog sled race to the North Pole, the winner of which becomes the leader of Canada.

Back
Top Bottom