• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hometown paper blasts McConnell over Iraq revelation

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Mitch McConnell is a HUGE ass. Read on.

md_horiz.jpg
AP
Sen. Mitch McConnell

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is taking some serious heat from his hometown newspaper for the revelation in George W. Bush's memoir that McConnell asked the president to pull some troops out of Iraq to boost the GOP's chances in the 2006 election. As we reported yesterday, McConnell at the exact same time was publicly accusing Democrats of endangering America because of their calls to withdraw troops from Iraq.
In an editorial today titled "McConnell's true colors," the Louisville Courier-Journal writes (emphasis ours):

At the time that Sen. McConnell was privately advising Mr. Bush to reduce troop levels in Iraq, he was elsewhere excoriating congressional Democrats who had urged the same thing. “The Democrat[ic] leadership finally agrees on something — unfortunately it's retreat,” Sen. McConnell had said in a statement on Sept. 5, 2006, about a Democratic letter to Mr. Bush appealing for cuts in troop levels. Sen. McConnell, who publicly was a stout defender of the war and Mr. Bush's conduct of the conflict, accused the Democrats of advocating a position that would endanger Americans and leave Iraqis at the mercy of al-Qaida.
Unless he is prepared to call a former president of his own party a liar, Mr. McConnell has a choice. He can admit that he did not actually believe the Iraq mission was vital to American security, regardless of what he said at the time. Or he can explain why the fortunes of the Republican Party are of greater importance than the safety of the United States.

McConnell was asked about this at an event yesterday and he again declined to deny the story. "Well, as I just said, you know, I led the surge effort in the Senate," he told a Kentucky Fox affiliate.

Hometown paper blasts McConnell over Iraq revelation - War Room - Salon.com

i await the day that mcconnell comes out of the closet..

what a .... career politician

I'm well aware the majority of politicians do this type of stuff behind closed doors, but it still makes me sick when I see it.

Politicians have done this in the past, used people fighting overseas to promote their party and agenda. Its such a low hypocracy.

McConnell is a cowardly weasel of a narcissist who really only cares about his own desires.

I already knew he was a scum bag when he said the greatest priority for the new Republican House is to deny Obama a second presidency. Rather than you know, helping ease the current economic crisis.

You mean that a newspaper that endorsed Jack Conway, Obama, Kerry and McConnell's democratic opponent from the last election doesn't like McConnell? Holy ****, this is big.

You mean that a newspaper that endorsed Jack Conway, Obama, Kerry and McConnell's democratic opponent from the last election doesn't like McConnell? Holy ****, this is big.

If it endorses him or not is beside the point, it doesn't make it any less true. The guy is such a big asshole he didn't even endorse Rand Paul and the guy Rand Paul took the place of even though he was a little nuts, says he's an asshole too. McConnell and Bohner are just two peas in a asshole pod. I look forward to when McConnell is gone.

So are you questioning whether this was actually in the Bush memoir or are you questioning whether or not this is a big deal?

what does that have to do with what bush wrote?

Back
Top Bottom