• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Homer Simpson.

Are you deliberatly missing mine?

I've got your point loud and clear - those things are very bad for your health.

Now...do you get MY point?

I've got your point loud and clear - those things are very bad for your health.

Now...do you get MY point?

Yes, people should be allowed to kill themselves slowly and usurp badly needed medical services because they are retatrds.

Yes, people should be allowed to kill themselves slowly and usurp badly needed medical services because they are retatrds.

I really dislike that last word.

Yes, people should have the freedom to slowly or quickly kill themselves. If they wish to get medical treatment, it should be on their dime.

Now....are you willing to say the federal government should ban unhealthy foods?

Yes, people should have the freedom to slowly or quickly kill themselves. If they wish to get medical treatment, it should be on their dime.

Now....are you willing to say the federal government should ban unhealthy foods?

It sure is easy to win debates when you assign opinions to the other side. Has anybody ever actually advocated a nationwide ban on "unhealthy foods?"

Most of those people chowing down on Big Macs don't have a clue nor any money. And I never said ban.

It sure is easy to win debates when you assign opinions to the other side. Has anybody ever actually advocated a nationwide ban on "unhealthy foods?"

Nope. That's what "nudging" is all about. They won't just impose a ban. They'll "nudge" us toward it.

Nope. That's what "nudging" is all about. They won't just impose a ban. They'll "nudge" us toward it.

Oh. So you were deliberately bringing up a stance that nobody actually advocates in your previous post. Got it.

Are you deliberately missing my point?

Forget it Mellie.
No matter how hard you try to get through to some people, they are still going to want government envolvement in every aspect of their lives. Apparently they are incapable of raising their own children or deciding between a coke or juice without the government removing the coke from the vending machine.
I used to think they thought that way because maybe those things didn't effect them. Now I'm thinking maybe it's because they want to be taken care of. They think the goverment is going to take all the worry from their lives. They can't understand why some of us prefer freedom over living in a nanny state.

Most of those people chowing down on Big Macs don't have a clue nor any money. And I never said ban.

I think they know what they're eating is unhealthy. You seriously think they believe it's healthy for them??

And I know you didn't say ban. I'm asking you if you would support a ban.

Oh. So you were deliberately bringing up a stance that nobody actually advocates in your previous post. Got it.

Again...you're not getting it.

I think they know what they're eating is unhealthy. You seriously think they believe it's healthy for them??

They don't even know what healthy is.

And I know you didn't say ban. I'm asking you if you would support a ban.

I already said I support regulation. I also support education.

They don't even know what healthy is.

Why are you assuming this? Do you honestly think people always do what's in the best interest for their bodies, minds, souls, checkbooks? And anyone who does something detrimental to their bodies, minds, souls, checkbooks just isn't educated enough about it? Are ya serious, man?

I already said I support regulation. I also support education.

Yet you're somehow avoiding my question.....would you support a BAN?

Why are you assuming this? Do you honestly think people always do what's in the best interest for their bodies, minds, souls, checkbooks? And anyone who does something detrimental to their bodies, minds, souls, checkbooks just isn't educated enough about it? Are ya serious, man?

You should take a trip sometime to my heart failure clinic.

Last edited:
That's because you're not saying what you actually mean.

Actually I am saying what I mean. The idea is foreign to you because this is the first time you've heard of "Nudge" (since you thought Cass Sunstein was a female) and you haven't researched it at all.

The idea is to poke people so that they'll go toward something. When they're there, they poke again to get them to move closer to the ultimate goal. If they resist, they might need a little shove. If they just got into office and immediately shoved everyone to the extreme, the people would revolt. But if they're slowly nudged there, the people will just adapt with each nudge.

You might also want to look up the Overton Window. No, not Glenn Beck's book. THE Overton Window.

Winston...................

Do you support a nationwide ban on unhealthy foods in this country?

Why is that so hard for you to answer?

You should take a trip sometime to my heart failure clinic.

So do you support a ban on unhealthy food because it's known to be bad for your heart?
Do you think it's the job of the government to protect us from ourselves?

Barb! Is tomorrow the last of the butt picture?

Barb! Is tomorrow the last of the butt picture?

I'll still BE a Butt, but yes, thank goodness, only one more day. I take it you didn't pick crybaby Glenn yourself, did ya?

I'll still BE a Butt, but yes, thank goodness, only one more day. I take it you didn't pick crybaby Glenn yourself, did ya?

Nah. Redress picked it out. :)

Actually I am saying what I mean. The idea is foreign to you because this is the first time you've heard of "Nudge" (since you thought Cass Sunstein was a female) and you haven't researched it at all.

The idea is to poke people so that they'll go toward something. When they're there, they poke again to get them to move closer to the ultimate goal. If they resist, they might need a little shove. If they just got into office and immediately shoved everyone to the extreme, the people would revolt. But if they're slowly nudged there, the people will just adapt with each nudge.

You might also want to look up the Overton Window. No, not Glenn Beck's book. THE Overton Window.

I had a girlfriend who I called Cass. :p

You still haven't explain to me how a nudge somehow removes your freedom of choice. Or is it that you're just against the government trying to have any influence on people at all?

Do you believe the government should ban foods that cause those 365,000 deaths?

And I think you should able to shoot herion or snort blow all you want. Just don't get into a car and kill someone while you're on it.

No, I don't think the government should ban all foods that are bad for you. I think they should make healthy food easier for us to buy, and should encourage healthy food choices. I don't like the fact that I have to drink water and high fructose corn syrup because I can't afford actual juice.

You're making a slippery slope argument. If the government encourages you to eat more healthily, then they're only one step away from nationalizing the entire food industry. This is absurd. If a bill is presented in Congress that subsidizes healthy food for low-income people, I'd support it. If a bill is presented in Congress that bans all unhealthy food, I'd oppose it. How hard is that?

You still haven't explain to me how a nudge somehow removes your freedom of choice. Or is it that you're just against the government trying to have any influence on people at all?

Because a nudge turns into another nudge and then another nudge....until the "overton window" has completely moved and we're at the extreme. It can happen on either side of the political spectrum, not just the left.

Would it be great if everyone ate healthy and all the fast food companies went out of business? Sure. But that's up to THE PEOPLE to decide, not the government.

Nah. Redress picked it out. :)

LOL Oh well, it's not so bad. He had a good show today huh? I take it you watched it because of the "nudge" thing.

I feel we have been being nudged for a long time.
Maybe it's a good thing Obama got elected and things started happening so fast that the people felt themselves being poked.
That's my opinion anyway. Now we just need to turn things around, starting in Nov. then 2012.

Putting unhealthy food in the back? MY FREEDOM!

What you are overlooking, is what happens if a "nudge" doesn't achieve their goals.

Andy Stern, president of SEIU and one of the White Houses most frequent visitors said it best... "We're trying to use the power of persuasion. If that doesn't work, we'll use the persuasion of power." Translated, that means they are going to ask you nicely to do things their way.... and if that doesn't work, they are going to use their political power to force you into compliance. Don't believe me? See if some of these examples ring a bell...

For years now, the progressives in Washington who support the environmental movement have used various incentives to "nudge" companies into finding alternatives to fossil fuels. Since that wasn't effective in achieving their goals, they have now written and passed in the house, the "cap and trade" bill that not only punishes any company using fossil fuels, but guarantees higher electric bills and increased costs for consumer goods for every American.

The government for many years has "nudged" big companies (and encouraged the public at large) into reducing their energy consumption by offering incentives to businesses that used energy efficient florescent lighting, rather than incandescent bulbs. Since the nudging didn't achieve their goal and most of the country still prefers incandescent bulbs, they decided to ban incandescent bulbs altogether starting in 2012.

For more than 20 years, the left has "nudged" liberal pundits, investors and their supporters on several occasions to develop a marketable liberal talk radio format to compete with conservative talk radio. Since those efforts didn't achieve their desired goal, they now have the FCC (diversity czar Mark Lloyd) working on a way to effectively force radio stations into broadcasting unpopular liberal talk shows, which includes their ongoing attempts to pass a modified version of the Fairness Doctrine.

Since you mention the food issue in the schools, what do you think the progressives in our government are going to do if in 5 or 10 years from now, the children's diets still don't meet their nutritional standards?

Back
Top Bottom