• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Homeless to be Evicted from Redding California Tent City

RLF

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Redding California Homeless News - 8/6/2010

Reported by: Elizabeth Gadley
Email: egadley@khsltv.com

"Homeless living in a tent city in Redding are about to be evicted. Authorities say 20 to 30 people live in the camp behind Eastside Road and Technology Way.

To many of them, the network of tents is their neighborhood and the people their family.

“People live in houses and all that, that’s home to them. We live in tents and these are our homes to us. And we cook dinners together, go shopping together,” says Ronda Valdez, fighting back tears.

Last week she lost a loved one. Clarence Edger Thompson, 43, who was stabbed to death in the area, lived in a neighboring camp.

Valdez just found out she about to lose the rest of her community because police are planning to close the camp.

“It’s sad, what are they going to kick us out to find another spot?” says a worried Valdez."

Read More / Video

Homeless to be Evicted from Redding Tent City - CBS 12 Action News

Last edited:
This of course leads to the question, often unanswered, "what do you do with the homeless after that"

There are always alternatives to sleeping on the street....homeless shelters, etc. These longterm cardboard shantie-towns are plagued with the usually dual diagnosis longterm homeless (i.e., mentally ill and substance addicted). As a result, they are a loci for crime in an urban area.

They're not just booting them out without giving a damn. . . .they're securing alternative living for them as best as possible:

“I’ve been in communication with some of the homeless advocacy groups in our community, such as the rescue mission, Loaves and Fishes and the Continuum of Care,” says Hansen. “And asked them if they’d be willing to assist us and go down to the camps with us. So that when we provide them with a notice that you have to leave, we can provide them immediately with a resource that can provide them with assistance.”

Redding California Homeless News - 8/6/2010

Reported by: Elizabeth Gadley
Email: egadley@khsltv.com

"Homeless living in a tent city in Redding are about to be evicted. Authorities say 20 to 30 people live in the camp behind Eastside Road and Technology Way.

To many of them, the network of tents is their neighborhood and the people their family.

“People live in houses and all that, that’s home to them. We live in tents and these are our homes to us. And we cook dinners together, go shopping together,” says Ronda Valdez, fighting back tears.

Last week she lost a loved one. Clarence Edger Thompson, 43, who was stabbed to death in the area, lived in a neighboring camp.

Valdez just found out she about to lose the rest of her community because police are planning to close the camp.

“It’s sad, what are they going to kick us out to find another spot?” says a worried Valdez."

Read More / Video

Homeless to be Evicted from Redding Tent City - CBS 12 Action News

I don't like to the story headline.
It should say something like, "Tent city residents to become homeless."
I mean they have a home right now.

Best thing for them to do is buy a cheap piece of property, maybe an acre and share that.

Best thing for them to do is buy a cheap piece of property, maybe an acre and share that.

Right - if they had the money to buy some land then they wouldn't be homeless :shrug:

They have money.
Not enough to rent a wooden or brick structure maybe but they do and they can pool it.
Of course many are probably not responsible enough to do that.

Generally speaking, that money is probably going to feed whatever dependencies they have.

They have money.
Not enough to rent a wooden or brick structure maybe but they do and they can pool it.
Of course many are probably not responsible enough to do that.

There's a process to buying land - and there are regulations you must abide by to live on it - and land is expensive.

How about: put them into a shelter which has the funding and means to help them begin a new life?

How about: put them into a shelter which has the funding and means to help them begin a new life?

There are two different kinds of homeless populations. There is the short-term homeless population, which generally speaking is temporarily between housing, sometimes because of circumstances beyond their control. This is a large number, but their circumstances are generally temporary. These are families, teenagers, runaways, etc. There are large numbers of children who have been evicted from their homes by their parents, or who are fleeing abuse.

Then, there is the smaller, but more visible longterm homeless population, which frequently includes those who have opted out of living in the mainstream for a variety of reasons...they're addicted to drugs/alcohol, and don't want to get clean...they are mentally ill, and don't want to be in treatment (or don't have the means to be in treatment). Our homeless population in the U.S. exploded when the Community Mental Health Act passed in 1963, releasing a lot of longterm mental health patients into the community to receive treatment at community-based (versus residential) centers. A lot of the longterm mentally ill did not follow up on that treatment, and this continues to be a factor. This deinstitutionalization of mental health facilities continued through the 1980s, causing another rise in homelessness.

A lot of those that you see living on the streets, longterm, would have been institutionalized in another generation. They have no interest (or ability, in many cases) to come back to the mainstream.

Last edited:
There's a process to buying land - and there are regulations you must abide by to live on it - and land is expensive.

I don't view "homeless" the way others do.

I frequent forums where people purposefully make themselves "homeless" to practice abo skills.
They do this for upwards of a year.
You can live quite well being "homeless" in some situations.

Squatters are fine with me, on public land, as long as they keep it clean.

Trust me, we have more than enough.

One would think that with all their wealth and affinity for providing services to illegals, that the good people of California would fund a viable option to eliminate their homeless problems. Free housing, food, health care, schooling for all. Lead the way!

I don't view "homeless" the way others do.

I frequent forums where people purposefully make themselves "homeless" to practice abo skills.
They do this for upwards of a year.
You can live quite well being "homeless" in some situations.

Squatters are fine with me, on public land, as long as they keep it clean.

I had never heard of ABO before this post. I think it's an interesting concept, but people shouldn't and probably aren't doing this in urban areas, and if they are on state or federal lands, I think they should be required to get a permit.

I had never heard of ABO before this post. I think it's an interesting concept, but people shouldn't and probably aren't doing this in urban areas, and if they are on state or federal lands, I think they should be required to get a permit.

Well, your really not supposed to do it anywhere.
At least for more than a week, which is usually state/fed law.
It's aboriginal living skills.

You trot off to the woods with a limit set of tools (if any at all) and make the best camp you can, with all the products that nature provides.
These guys, usually, have to pick remote locations(away from leo) or a friends unsettled property.

One would think that with all their wealth and affinity for providing services to illegals, that the good people of California would fund a viable option to eliminate their homeless problems. Free housing, food, health care, schooling for all. Lead the way!

Why do you constantly feel the need to bash a state when you have no concept of what's actually happening here?

I think you will find that a violation of most city, county, and State building codes.... Not to mention health and safety codes.

I think you will find that a violation of most city, county, and State building codes.... Not to mention health and safety codes.

I don't care because if I own the property, I can do whatever I want with it.

Do it far enough away from prying eyes and you'll get away with it.

I don't care because if I own the property, I can do whatever I want with it.

Do it far enough away from prying eyes and you'll get away with it.

Government has this little thing called a "red tag". If you are in violation of building, fire, health, or safety codes they slap one on your property. For each day of violation they access a high dollar amount known as a fine. When the fine gets to a certain amount, they come by and evict you and auction off your property to pay said fine.

There is an old saying..... "you can't fight city hall."

Out of sight, out of mind.

Merry Christmas, folks. We won't have them to think about this coming holiday season.

This of course leads to the question, often unanswered, "what do you do with the homeless after that"
I'm sure there are lots of people willing to lend a hand, but it is not our responsibility (or the government's) responsibility to "do something" with the homeless.

Right - if they had the money to buy some land then they wouldn't be homeless :shrug:
If they had the money to buy some land, they would spend it on beer. :D

Back
Top Bottom