• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Homeless shelter

beyonce

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Hello everyone,

I found this website through a friend of mine. I am worried about the construction of a homeless shelter in my neighborhood. I am preparing emails to local congress officials and other political people and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced these situations before and know of anything good to send to the town officials. Would anyone here support the construction of such a center in their neighborhoods, where children and schools are nearby? The one near me is being put up in a residential area, on a residential street. Property values will go down, sex offenders will become prevalent, there are 2 schools within a short radius of each other in the area, mental retards will be there.

I know the liberals will be coming in here calling me some sort of right wing nut job for this, but the truth is, if it were happening in your area, you would be upset too. There are children, think about the children, then say if you support it or not.

Last edited:
LOL - "think about the children" . . . trolling? :)
(just kidding!)

Well - if you're wanting to take serious action you need more heft behind your argument.
You need to research crime, property value and other statistics that are connected to this situation in all these areas of concern for you - your community isn't the only one to do this and have backlash. Look into how things happened and changed in other areas and what actions they took - if any legal recourse was available to others, etc. Sometimes this approach is successful and sometimes it's not. . . but nothing happens when someone just complains and has 0 weight behind the stone throwing.

Last edited:
I agree, all homeless people are paedophiles, better get your torches and pitchforks.

But Aunt Spiker is right, you need to do research, property value is an actual valid concern.

The only concern I'd actually have would be those who are homeless due to mental instability and illness that is untreated.

Would the shelter just be for food and sleep?
Or would it also be for treatment and help that they truly need - while trying to get them back on track and squared away, really taken care of?

I'd have a problem with an open-door food-kitchen. . . but not with an actual legitimate and well-run and regulated center for rebuilding lives.

But i wouldn't tolerate laziness or lax attention to ensuring safety and security of the area. I would expect them to stay on target and on task with their goal and focus.

Last edited:
That's the thing, no one knows. They just sent a notice saying a homeless shelter is being made. Nothing else. No information as to where exactly on the street it will be (it said a road name).

If you and your neighbors manage to block the shelter then so be it. If not, I would ask you to embrace the shelter and volunteer. Get to know the folks at the shelter and you may develop a new paradigm of what a homeless person is and why they need a shelter. I am sure you will gain as much and more than those you serve there.

That's the thing, no one knows. They just sent a notice saying a homeless shelter is being made. Nothing else. No information as to where exactly on the street it will be (it said a road name).

In order to receive permission to plan, break ground and build there are forms, propositions and plans that need to be written up, provided and approved. They don't just wake up and say "I'll build a shelter here!" - there's always a paper trail.

That being said - if you don't know what location it's going to be built in then how can you have an opinion about it at all yet?

i volunteer at a soup kitchen. our primary focus is feeding the homeless
the soup kitchen is located within an affluent community
and we have faced opposition from local residents who (legitimately) see us as being a magnet for the least among us
what i do not understand is why those opponents in the community believe the homeless should be deprived of their rights
why do they believe that those of little means are not deserving to come to our soup kitchen, or in your instance, to reside in your community
as can be seen by your post, being homeless is viewed as being criminal. but that is a false belief. yes, there is criminal activity among the homeless population, just as there is criminal activity among those who are housed, and well off. and if the homeless engage in criminal activity, they should be incarcerated, just as those who are well off should be incarcerated for their illegal actions. but to presume that someone is going to engage in criminal behavior only because they are homeless is a very bogus assumption

I view most homeless as needing medical intervention and mental rehabilitation. . . which is why I'd expect a new shelter to offer a full array of programs and assistance.

They don't just need food and a place to sleep.

:prof pedophiles live in houses too.

Hello everyone,

I found this website through a friend of mine. I am worried about the construction of a homeless shelter in my neighborhood. I am preparing emails to local congress officials and other political people and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced these situations before and know of anything good to send to the town officials. Would anyone here support the construction of such a center in their neighborhoods, where children and schools are nearby? The one near me is being put up in a residential area, on a residential street. Property values will go down, sex offenders will become prevalent, there are 2 schools within a short radius of each other in the area, mental retards will be there.

I know the liberals will be coming in here calling me some sort of right wing nut job for this, but the truth is, if it were happening in your area, you would be upset too. There are children, think about the children, then say if you support it or not.

The homeless were children once too. Some of them still are.
Don't make assumptions about me.

I just spoke to a friend, and he confirmed the location with me because he saw inspectors going there, and the town councilman gave him information on it. The location is going to back right up into a middle school, and there are elementary bus stops along the way also.

We don't know the backgrounds of the people who go in here. I live in a very wealthy area, and to say the least, I don't see homeless people around. Why does it need to go up in a residential area right next to a school and on elementary bus routes?

Last edited:
troll-web.jpg

I just spoke to a friend, and he confirmed the location with me because he saw inspectors going there, and the town councilman gave him information on it. The location is going to back right up into a middle school, and there are elementary bus stops along the way also.

We don't know the backgrounds of the people who go in here. I live in a very wealthy area, and to say the least, I don't see homeless people around. Why does it need to go up in a residential area right next to a school and on elementary bus routes?

Oh well - since you're so wealthy perhaps you can just bribe them to not build it? :)

Alrighty - *packs up her doggie bag and heads home*

That is a tough one. I have zero tolerance for pedophilia; but it is like communicable diseases.. .. ..you don't know who is next to you or prepared your meal who has one. Living life is a risk taken everyday. If you go through life scared or terrorized then you will draw that into your life. I still say, embrace the shelter if it is built. If you are worried about pedophiles (as would I) then get involved, learn their names, look them up on the net, then report that to the shelter. If we embrace our fears then we will not be afraid. The most profound saying I have ever heard and ascribe to: The only thing to fear, is fear itself. ~ Winston Churchill

Hello everyone,

I seriously doubt that most liberals would think you're a right wing nut job for this.

Rather, I think most liberals would want to ask why the majority of conservatives don't want to pay taxes to provide low-income housing for the homeless.

Or why the majority of conservatives don't want to pay taxes to fund a nationalized mental health care plan so all American citizens with mental illness can get the treatment they need instead of being cast out on the street and surviving in a homeless shelter because their mental illness prevents them from holding down a job.

Or why the majority of conservatives allow landlords to discriminate against felons who have served their time in prison and won't allow them to rent a house because of their background, which means they can't get a steady job, which means they have to resort back to crime in order to make a living.

Liberals don't think conservatives are nutjobs for being concerned that troubled people may move into a nice neighborhood. Liberals think conservatives are nutjobs for not allowing the government to give troubled people the help they need so that 1) they won't be a danger in your neighborhood or 2) they can be taken some place, such as a mental hospital, where they can be supervised so they won't cause any accidental harm because of the mental disorders they are afflicted with, which they also cannot help.

If you truly live in a "wealthy area" I doubt their going to build a homeless shelter next door. Wealth=power/influence over local politicians. The exception would be if you live in NYC and it's a Muslim Homeless shelter... Bloomberg would make sure no block on that.

Seriously, when I was younger I stayed at more than one shelter and have much respect and appreciation for those who run these places and work at them. In recent years, I have voluntered at a couple of them [not soup kitchen... much different] and currently have an old HS friend who bounces from one to another. I can tell you one thing for certain, a large majority of these unfortunates are alcoholics, drug addicts, ex offenders, mentally ill, and generally people you don't want near your home and family.

I'm talking about a standard homeless shelter where men primarily reside... not a "transitional living quarters" place for mothers and children. Thats also much different. My compassion is expressed in the form of donations of time and money... but that doesn't mean I want to live with them. Once again, I've done that and it aint no good.

I would have no issue with it. Plus, it would make it easier to volunteer there if it were so close.

I seriously doubt that most liberals would think you're a right wing nut job for this.

Rather, I think most liberals would want to ask why the majority of conservatives don't want to pay taxes to provide low-income housing for the homeless.

Or why the majority of conservatives don't want to pay taxes to fund a nationalized mental health care plan so all American citizens with mental illness can get the treatment they need instead of being cast out on the street and surviving in a homeless shelter because their mental illness prevents them from holding down a job.

Or why the majority of conservatives allow landlords to discriminate against felons who have served their time in prison and won't allow them to rent a house because of their background, which means they can't get a steady job, which means they have to resort back to crime in order to make a living.

Liberals don't think conservatives are nutjobs for being concerned that troubled people may move into a nice neighborhood. Liberals think conservatives are nutjobs for not allowing the government to give troubled people the help they need so that 1) they won't be a danger in your neighborhood or 2) they can be taken some place, such as a mental hospital, where they can be supervised so they won't cause any accidental harm because of the mental disorders they are afflicted with, which they also cannot help.

Most conservatives believe the answer lies in charitable organizations. Thats why they give much more to help the poor than liberals.

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

Conservative Voters Are More Liberal With Charity - Prospecting - The Chronicle of Philanthropy- Connecting the nonprofit world with news, jobs, and ideas

Who Gives and Who Doesn't? - ABC News

Democrats prefer to give other peoples money to aid the homeless rather than their own.

I really don't see how the OP's stance is at all objectionable. I understand that things like homeless shelters, methadone clinics, prisons, graveyards, dumps and sewage treatment plants are all necessary parts of a city. That doesn't mean I'm wrong to object to their placement near my home. Whether or not individual homeless people are more prone to committing crimes is irrelevant - the fact is that the location of a shelter near a home will lower property values and create an atmosphere than many would find uncomfortable.

I really don't see how the OP's stance is at all objectionable. I understand that things like homeless shelters, methadone clinics, prisons, graveyards, dumps and sewage treatment plants are all necessary parts of a city. That doesn't mean I'm wrong to object to their placement near my home. Whether or not individual homeless people are more prone to committing crimes is irrelevant - the fact is that the location of a shelter near a home will lower property values and create an atmosphere than many would find uncomfortable.

true. that's what zoning laws are for. you can't build a hotel in a residential neighborhood, why should you be able to build a homeless shelter? from my experience, most of the people in these shelters are not criminals. The people who run the shelters are not stupid, they are not going to allow criminals, drug users, etc into the shelters.

Every winter in my area there is a news story about at least one homeless dude they found frozen to death under a bridge somewhere. when the details come out, 99% of the time the guys was turned away from a shelter because he refused to stop drinking or doing drugs. Sad state when you will chose a high over your life.

true. that's what zoning laws are for. you can't build a hotel in a residential neighborhood, why should you be able to build a homeless shelter? from my experience, most of the people in these shelters are not criminals. The people who run the shelters are not stupid, they are not going to allow criminals, drug users, etc into the shelters.

Every winter in my area there is a news story about at least one homeless dude they found frozen to death under a bridge somewhere. when the details come out, 99% of the time the guys was turned away from a shelter because he refused to stop drinking or doing drugs. Sad state when you will chose a high over your life.

This illustrates why we need to go beyond just providing a place to sleep to people in this situation. Addiction can be incredibly powerful, to the point where people will literally place their own lives in mortal danger to get another high. These people need help and treatment, not a bunk to stay the night in and a boot out the door the next morning.

Edit: Of course, people have to reach the point where they will accept help first, and usually that comes after they hit absolute rock-bottom. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't survive long enough to be ready to get help.

Last edited:
This illustrates why we need to go beyond just providing a place to sleep to people in this situation. Addiction can be incredibly powerful, to the point where people will literally place their own lives in mortal danger to get another high. These people need help and treatment, not a bunk to stay the night in and a boot out the door the next morning.

Edit: Of course, people have to reach the point where they will accept help first, and usually that comes after they hit absolute rock-bottom. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't survive long enough to be ready to get help.

yeah, but then you get into the whole "personal liberty" issue. You can't force help upon those who don't want it...even if it is in their best interest.

your edit sums it up nicely.

Most conservatives believe the answer lies in charitable organizations. Thats why they give much more to help the poor than liberals.

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

Conservative Voters Are More Liberal With Charity - Prospecting - The Chronicle of Philanthropy- Connecting the nonprofit world with news, jobs, and ideas

Who Gives and Who Doesn't? - ABC News

Democrats prefer to give other peoples money to aid the homeless rather than their own.

No, liberals prefer that such services be provided by professionals paid by the government than leave it solely to charities who 1) may not have the training needed to deal with these issues or 2) use donations contributed to them to pay high salaries for the administrators of these charities when donations are meant to go to the cause of the charities.

No, liberals prefer that such services be provided by professionals paid by the government than leave it solely to charities who 1) may not have the training needed to deal with these issues or 2) use donations contributed to them to pay high salaries for the administrators of these charities when donations are meant to go to the cause of the charities.

yeah, like the govt is full of trained professionals and don't use our donations (aka taxes) to pay high salaries for themselves

Back
Top Bottom