• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Homeless shelter

don't ask me, i live where no boogie men can get me.

in all seriousness, what don't you get about "EX"? those people have paid their debt and deserve a chance to rebuild their lives. it's your problem to deal with if you are uncomfortable.

I find it absolutely incredible that you are so naive and far removed from the real world... Go and actually spend a day or evening at a homeless shelter. I suspect you've lived in the suburbs totally sheltered from people who live on the fringe.

What would you say if I told you [at least 1 out of 4] in a homeless shelter have been in prision? * Based on your comments, you would have no problem with 25-50 [assuming 100-200 beds] criminals living next door to you. BTW about 2/3 of your new neighbors will go back to prison for commiting more crimes**

I doubt you know much about recidivism. 7 out of 10 released prisoners are rearrested and go back to prison?* The highest rearrest rates were robbers (70.2%), burglars (74.0%), larcenists (74.6%), motor vehicle thieves (78.8%), those in prison for possessing or selling stolen property (77.4%), and those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).**

National level research estimates that 24% of those who are homeless at any given time have spent time in a state or federal prison.* And thats most likely low since many shelters have no question on their application regarding arrest/convictions and if they do... why would an applicant admit to his criminal past. No good reason too.

The large majority are homeless because they don't work and use alcohol and/or drugs to excess. That means there will be more drugs in your neighborhood.... which might be good for you?? You already said it will be "easier to volunteer" so it will also be easier for you to score. Lets hope you don't have any teens though since they might also want things easier.

Once again, many of the homeless are on parole or probation because they robbed, burglarized, and even set fire to other peoples homes. I suggest you upgrade your security system and add fire alarms.sprinklers in addition to your smoke detectors.... and you can forget about selling... [as others have pointed out] this will be another reason preventing that from happening

You just don't seem to understand that many of these guys [not all] are desperate and in dire straits and [if given opportunity] some will rob, cheat, steal, or scam you. Their backs are against the wall and they either have no family or else are estranged because they can no longer be trusted. When you walk by the place... you can count on being "hit up" for cigs, cash, or anything else you have and they don't...

Be honest and admit you would vote against one built next to you... if your vote would prevent the construction.

*New Page 1
**Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - RecidivismRecidivism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We were working ina county to convert a building that hadnt (still hasnt) been occupied in over 10 years. It isnt right next to a residential area but it is down the street a little ways. It is a perfect facility...an old church building with a built in connected school with 40 rooms...up to 80 beds very confortably, 160 in a pinch. The community has a relatively manageable homeless community and we had local support arranged, medical support, grant writers lined up, required and requested no government funding...and were shot down because of citizen complaints. To this day the building sits vacant and there is still no homeless shelters or support within 30 miles. very frustrating...

Exactly how far from your own home?? How far is a "little ways" down the street? I suspect you're talking about a completely different situation than the OP...

Hello everyone,

I found this website through a friend of mine. I am worried about the construction of a homeless shelter in my neighborhood. I am preparing emails to local congress officials and other political people and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced these situations before and know of anything good to send to the town officials. Would anyone here support the construction of such a center in their neighborhoods, where children and schools are nearby? The one near me is being put up in a residential area, on a residential street. Property values will go down, sex offenders will become prevalent, there are 2 schools within a short radius of each other in the area, mental retards will be there.

I know the liberals will be coming in here calling me some sort of right wing nut job for this, but the truth is, if it were happening in your area, you would be upset too. There are children, think about the children, then say if you support it or not.

I'm not sure what happens when you move a homeless shelter into a neighborhood, but a good example of what happens when you move one out of a neighborhood is the recent removal of the mission from downtown LA. Since moving the shelter just a few blocks back from what used to be "skid row", the entire downtown has started to thrive again. Crime rates are decreasing, businesses are flourishing, and people are actually moving back into the area. Along with this, housing costs have increased which tells me property values must be doing the same. It's been an all around good thing for the area. You might start with statistics from about 3 years ago and compare them with today.

I find it absolutely incredible that you are so naive and far removed from the real world... Go and actually spend a day or evening at a homeless shelter. I suspect you've lived in the suburbs totally sheltered from people who live on the fringe.

What would you say if I told you [at least 1 out of 4] in a homeless shelter have been in prision? * Based on your comments, you would have no problem with 25-50 [assuming 100-200 beds] criminals living next door to you. BTW about 2/3 of your new neighbors will go back to prison for commiting more crimes**

I doubt you know much about recidivism. 7 out of 10 released prisoners are rearrested and go back to prison?* The highest rearrest rates were robbers (70.2%), burglars (74.0%), larcenists (74.6%), motor vehicle thieves (78.8%), those in prison for possessing or selling stolen property (77.4%), and those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).**

National level research estimates that 24% of those who are homeless at any given time have spent time in a state or federal prison.* And thats most likely low since many shelters have no question on their application regarding arrest/convictions and if they do... why would an applicant admit to his criminal past. No good reason too.

The large majority are homeless because they don't work and use alcohol and/or drugs to excess. That means there will be more drugs in your neighborhood.... which might be good for you?? You already said it will be "easier to volunteer" so it will also be easier for you to score. Lets hope you don't have any teens though since they might also want things easier.

Once again, many of the homeless are on parole or probation because they robbed, burglarized, and even set fire to other peoples homes. I suggest you upgrade your security system and add fire alarms.sprinklers in addition to your smoke detectors.... and you can forget about selling... [as others have pointed out] this will be another reason preventing that from happening

You just don't seem to understand that many of these guys [not all] are desperate and in dire straits and [if given opportunity] some will rob, cheat, steal, or scam you. Their backs are against the wall and they either have no family or else are estranged because they can no longer be trusted. When you walk by the place... you can count on being "hit up" for cigs, cash, or anything else you have and they don't...

Be honest and admit you would vote against one built next to you... if your vote would prevent the construction.

*New Page 1
**Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - RecidivismRecidivism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i have, and i volunteer at a soup kitchen. as a matter of fact, when i was 12 years old we were homeless and i remember eating oatmeal at the salvation army, and sleeping on cots.

and btw, the large majority of homeless have some sort of mental issue, as well. 24% have spent time in prison? okay, that means 76% DID NOT. a vast majority. i probably understand a lot more than you about living a hard, poverty stricken life. i don't know of homeless shelters being built in suburbia, and i think the person in the OP is a troll. shelters need to be where people can access them, not in a gated community, or even in a middle class neighborhood.

but if that were the case, you can bet i would investigate the proposed shelter and make up my mind based on what i found out, not on sheer emotion. for all you know this could be a shelter for women and children.

next time you call someone naive, you really should get your facts. and stop being so ****ing judgemental, unless you HAVE walked that mile.

Last edited:
i have, and i volunteer at a soup kitchen. as a matter of fact, when i was 12 years old we were homeless and i remember eating oatmeal at the salvation army, and sleeping on cots.

and btw, the large majority of homeless have some sort of mental issue, as well. 24% have spent time in prison? okay, that means 76% DID NOT. a vast majority. i probably understand a lot more than you about living a hard, poverty stricken life. i don't know of homeless shelters being built in suburbia, and i think the person in the OP is a troll. shelters need to be where people can access them, not in a gated community, or even in a middle class neighborhood.

but if that were the case, you can bet i would investigate the proposed shelter and make up my mind based on what i found out, not on sheer emotion. for all you know this could be a shelter for women and children.

next time you call someone naive, you really should get your facts. and stop being so ****ing judgemental, unless you HAVE walked that mile.

Calm down...

First off, I'm the one who provided some facts... where are yours??

Regarding being judgemental... you made the judgement the OP is a troll without any evidence whatsoever. The lady seems to be rightly concerned over a predicament near to home. It's totally unfair to decide she's a troll because of seeking advice on a controversialy subject. It sounds like she has a real dilemma... perhaps because she lives in a city controlled by liberals like yourself.

Also... my comments directed at you, are based on your previous postings in this thread along with the outrageousness of same. You obviously haven't followed this discussion as close as me... otherwise you would know I've lived, volunteered, and contributed to homeless shelters. If you really knew anything about the topic you'd know a soup kitchen is much different than a homeless shelter. Most are only open a couple of hrs during the day and attract both homeless and those with a residence. BTW, I've volunteered and contributed to one of those too.

the kitchen itself is located in an affluent neighborhood?

yes; it's within a historic district with residences ranging from $300,000 to $2 million
this community is more liberal/democratic compared to an adjoining (more) affluent neighborhood which tends to be a bit more conservative/republican

yes; it's within a historic district with residences ranging from $300,000 to $2 million
this community is more liberal/democratic compared to an adjoining (more) affluent neighborhood which tends to be a bit more conservative/republican

so how do they people get there? bus? walk? is it a small area of affluence, with the immediate area outside more poor, like many downtown areas? anyway, i appreciate your stance.

Here is the letter. I didn't edit any information out of it because it's not anything you won't able to find by doing a search next week when the legislature schedule comes up.

The point is I am not making this up.

After I attend the meeting I will let you all know what happens. Thanks to those who support my position and I appreciate the links and such which I used in some emails to town officials.

Shelter Letter 001.jpg

Exactly how far from your own home?? How far is a "little ways" down the street? I suspect you're talking about a completely different situation than the OP...

I have 2 halfway houses within 2 miles of my home. And your point is? Listen...before people get all twisted you might do well to check your local sex offender registry and see how many of your neighbors are listed as predators.

I have worked in a volunteer capacity at shelters and with other group events like the Vet Stand Downs for 29 years. Ive worked with the prison and juvenile sex offender population in a professional capacity for several years. We took our kids with us working at the shelters and food banks. No...Im not naive. I AM careful. Im also a realist. I live in a fairly affluent neighborhood. WIthout exaggeration, across the street and 5 houses down is a registered sex offender. He isnt all there mentally...has lived with his parents his whole life. 3 doors down the man living there is also a sex offender...former teacher that molested a few students and it turns out...his daughter. DOwn around the corner is another registered sex offender...he was caught with a 15 year old...he was in his early 20s. Today he is in his 50s and owns a handyman service. Go the other direction less than a mile away is another individual...not sure what his offense is...dont want to. Those excons and predators arent all chilling at the shelter...some of them are mingling at your neighborhood block party.

DONT build the shelter. THEN the problem will cease to exist...right?

Here is the letter. I didn't edit any information out of it because it's not anything you won't able to find by doing a search next week when the legislature schedule comes up.

After I attend the meeting I will let you all know what happens. Thanks to those who support my position and I appreciate the links and such which I used in some emails to town officials.

View attachment 67112443

So where are they building it? Are they converting one of the houses similar to the meals on meals office there?

I have 2 halfway houses within 2 miles of my home. And your point is? Listen...before people get all twisted you might do well to check your local sex offender registry and see how many of your neighbors are listed as predators.

Those excons and predators arent all chilling at the shelter...some of them are mingling at your neighborhood block party.

DONT build the shelter. THEN the problem will cease to exist...right?

Yea I know all about locating sex offenders within a certain radius of my home but they live in private residences and don't need a license or permit. Only one lives within a half mile and he resdes in a different subdivision. Seriously doubt he affects the value of my property and isn't likely to interact with my kids. I know what he looks like. He isn't close enough and can't imagine him being invited to a block party in our neighborhood. If so, I would advise a couple of others of his background probably remove my family from the party.

BTW, I thought the topic was homeless shelters... not halfway houses which are usually different... Those in halfway houses are not necessarily homeless.

Most all "halfway houses" are just that... houses... that are built/converted to accomodate a limited number of individuals. They normally have much more structure and include active rehabilitation programs run throughout the day, where the residents receive individual and group counseling for their problems while they establish support network, secure employment, and find housing. Their stay is usually financed by behavioral health insurance or the govt funding.

"Homeless shelters" are temporary residences for homeless people. The primary difference is that homeless shelters are usually open to anyone, without regard to the reason for need and are privately funded with little or no fee to the occupant. Most homeless shelters expect clients to stay elsewhere [weather permitting] during the day, returning only to sleep, or, if the shelter also provides meals, to eat.

I have no problem and encourage both as much as needed... just don't put them in residential neighborhoods where people [already living there] don't want them. I don't want my kids needlessly exposed to this [on an ongoing basis] and object to my home being devalued as a result.

View attachment 67112443

So I forgot to apologize for calling you a troll and assuming this was just made up. And just so you know...without the shelter, you have about 730 registered sex offenders in Setauket/Suffolk county.

New York State Sex Offender Registry Search - NY DCJS

Back
Top Bottom