• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Homeless camps on public land will be felony in TN

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee has declined to sign off on a proposal criminalizing camping by homeless people and others in parks and on other local public property.

But the Republican governor on Tuesday let the bill become law without his signature. It takes effect July 1.

The new law will add local public property to the existing felony penalties that are possible for camping on state property, as long as the place is not designated for people to camp there.

The felony is punishable by up to six years in prison. Felony convictions in Tennessee result in the revocation of an individual’s right to vote.
When the bill moved through the legislature, Republican Sen. Paul Bailey acknowledged that “lots of churches” had testified against the bill.
“I don’t have the answer for homelessness,” Bailey said. “Those that oppose this legislation, they don’t have all the answers for homelessness. Those that support this legislation, they don’t have all of the answers for homelessness.”
Brilliant, throw all of the homeless in prison, if they're private prisons, the institutions get paid by the state to keep those beds full. Business is good for the industry and no more unsightly ne'er do wells in public!

The Supreme Court let the 9th circuit Court ruling stand just recently I don't get it

The Supreme Court let the 9th circuit Court ruling stand just recently I don't get it

That was 2019. This SCOTUS might decide to lock them up. Or give them vasectomies or have their tubes tied. Or institute eugenics. Who knows what the reactionary nut jobs on this Court will do?

I live just south of Nashville in the most affluent town in the state. When I moved here 14 years ago there was never homeless beggers running around. Now they are at every highway on-off ramp, major intersections, everywhere. They step in front of cars in traffic, they have drug camps popping up, we just had a cop get stabbed when approaching a homeless camp. This isn't about a lack of economic opportunity, these camps are surrounded by help wanted signs for jobs offering $17-18/hr all over the place. You talk to the police, the hospital admin, the shelter operators, they are almost all addicts. Sorry, but the state has an obligation to do something when they represent a public safety issue.

I live just south of Nashville in the most affluent town in the state. When I moved here 14 years ago there was never homeless beggers running around. Now they are at every highway on-off ramp, major intersections, everywhere. They step in front of cars in traffic, they have drug camps popping up, we just had a cop get stabbed when approaching a homeless camp. This isn't about a lack of economic opportunity, these camps are surrounded by help wanted signs for jobs offering $17-18/hr all over the place. You talk to the police, the hospital admin, the shelter operators, they are almost all addicts. Sorry, but the state has an obligation to do something when they represent a public safety issue.
Toss them all in prison, out of sight out of mind. Put them on road crew chain gangs!

Is putting them in prison for felonies going to help? What does it cost the taxpayer for every person in prison?

Yes, I could not agree more that the state has a duty to these people.
Toss them all in prison, out of sight out of mind. Put them on road crew chain gangs!
Cost a fortune. Why don't we try something constructive instead?

There was an excellent documentary on HBO about the life of George Carlin, this past weekend. Carlin said that there was no “War On Homelessness” because there just wasn’t any money to be stolen from that “war.” Carlin computed all the land used for golf courses and said that all that land made up two Rhode Islands and one Delaware. Perfect for government housing! All golf courses were good for was rich, old white guys making more deals how to steal money, anyway……🤷

Why are they going to Nashville?

I never seen so much homeless people when I drove through Colorado Springs a few years ago..

Cost a fortune. Why don't we try something constructive instead?

I agree. Prison costs just as much money as trying to help those people out.

A rehab/work type program might be an idea.

Don't you worry, the "pro-life" group will ensure they use the law and courts to make their lives even worse than they are now.

That was 2019. This SCOTUS might decide to lock them up. Or give them vasectomies or have their tubes tied. Or institute eugenics. Who knows what the reactionary nut jobs on this Court will do?
Why another similar case on the Supreme Court docit ?

There are better solutions than locking them up.

If they are going to house them, why not make it something less punitive and costly than prison?

I agree. Prison costs just as much money as trying to help those people out.

A rehab/work type program might be an idea.

It surely costs more. But Republicans get warm fuzzy feeling tossing folks into the hoosegow. It shows strength, apparently.

I don't have a great answer, but tolerating drug addicts wandering around your community throwing up tents isn't acceptable. TN won't play the California game of allowing it.

Is putting them in prison for felonies going to help? What does it cost the taxpayer for every person in prison?

No idea, but you got a solution? This isn't about economics, these are addicts, treatment just doesn't work unfortunately. When you have 95%+ recitivism rates it's a disaster.

Ship em to California then.

Why are they going to Nashville?

Nashville has seen an explosion in wealth since I got here, particularly my area. Brentwood is one of the wealthiest zip codes in the US and is also rather liberal. So they have been tolerant of it for a while, but now that is all changing. The locality has also starting cracking down on it as well.

If they are going to house them, why not make it something less punitive and costly than prison?

Shrug, I haven't seen any suggestions that work. I blame Narcan.

Cost a f'ortune. Why don't we try something constructive instead?
I'm being facetious and emphasizing "compassionate conservative" solutions..

Brilliant, throw all of the homeless in prison, if they're private prisons, the institutions get paid by the state to keep those beds full. Business is good for the industry and no more unsightly ne'er do wells in public!

It seems that some middle ground (compromise) should exist. Perhaps an area within every zip code where free camping with minimal amenities is provided.

I don't have a great answer, but tolerating drug addicts wandering around your community throwing up tents isn't acceptable. TN won't play the California game of allowing it.

No idea, but you got a solution? This isn't about economics, these are addicts, treatment just doesn't work unfortunately. When you have 95%+ recitivism rates it's a disaster.

Ship em to California then.

Nashville has seen an explosion in wealth since I got here, particularly my area. Brentwood is one of the wealthiest zip codes in the US and is also rather liberal. So they have been tolerant of it for a while, but now that is all changing. The locality has also starting cracking down on it as well.

Shrug, I haven't seen any suggestions that work. I blame Narcan.
How very NIMBY of you.

It seems that some middle ground (compromise) should exist. Perhaps an area within every zip code where free camping with minimal amenities is provided.
The law of the land stands they cannot criminalize slepping on public property if homeless shelters are full.

There was an excellent documentary on HBO about the life of George Carlin, this past weekend. Carlin said that there was no “War On Homelessness” because there just wasn’t any money to be stolen from that “war.” Carlin computed all the land used for golf courses and said that all that land made up two Rhode Islands and one Delaware. Perfect for government housing! All golf courses were good for was rich, old white guys making more deals how to steal money, anyway……🤷
Typical Leftist advice from a comedian. Can't stand the thought of people spending their own money as they choose when it can be taken from them by an overreaching government to be used by the welfare state in another vote buying scheme. After all section 8 housing on a golf course surrounded by multi million dollar homes is a real incentive to work. Right?

Lovely racial stereotype of old white men plotting to steal money being the only ones playing golf. Can't be a Democrat without demogoguery. It's not divisive and toxic when the Left does it

i will be surprised if TN authorities enforce this law in any significant way

homeless people dissiminate information to each other very quickly and effectively
if there is a good soup kitchen, or giveaway program that serves their population, words about it spreads fast

if a community seeks to house the homeless with free shelter, that word gets out
and that community then becomes a magnet for a sizeable portion of those in need of shelter
there is no way any community can meet the demand
and positive efforts only attract more demand

thus, i suspect this law is a strategic effort of the TN legislature

word will get out that TN is not receptive to the homeless and that cohort will write off TN as a destination

think of this as being the opposite of the buffalo hunt, where communities offer financial incentives for corporations to locate their expanding facility in that community supportive of such growth

Typical Leftist advice from a comedian. Can't stand the thought of people spending their own money as they choose when it can be taken from them by an overreaching government to be used by the welfare state in another vote buying scheme. After all section 8 housing on a golf course surrounded by multi million dollar homes is a real incentive to work. Right?

Lovely racial stereotype of old white men plotting to steal money being the only ones playing golf. Can't be a Democrat without demogoguery. It's not divisive and toxic when the Left does it
Yeah, Geogre was a ”leftist!”

Obviously you haven’t played golf…..72% Caucasian and 77% male. What do you think they talk about between chasing that little white ball around?

How very NIMBY of you.

NIMBY (trespassing on private property is already illegal) is the problem, which leaves only public lands to be dealt with. The idea that any an all public lands are options for campsites is impractical as well.

Putting ‘homeless’ folks in jails/prisons is likely the least cost effective solution unless they allow work release and charge cell rent based on the inmate’s pay. I was once locked up in such a facility (for a DUI conviction) and was charged $15/day cell rent (every day), but permitted to go to work 5 days/week.

The law of the land stands they cannot criminalize slepping on public property if homeless shelters are full.

“The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.”

Back
Top Bottom