• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Homeless camps on public land will be felony in TN

How very NIMBY of you.

Shrug. At the end of the day I don't care. If my choice is between rounding up drug addicts wandering the streets committing crimes and shipping them somewhere else or living with it? I will choose the former, all day.

The law of the land stands they cannot criminalize slepping on public property if homeless shelters are full.

Not so, the court simply said if no “adequate alternative” was available.

This leaves in place earlier rulings by the 9th Circuit that homeless persons cannot be punished for sleeping outside on public property in the absence of adequate alternatives.

That’s why I suggested that each zip code offer adequate, yet not fancy, camping facilities. That makes it legal to give them a choice: move to an approved “free” campsite or go to jail. If need be, make the campsites consist of high-rise platforms.

Brilliant, throw all of the homeless in prison, if they're private prisons, the institutions get paid by the state to keep those beds full. Business is good for the industry and no more unsightly ne'er do wells in public!
"Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?"

That was 2019. This SCOTUS might decide to lock them up. Or give them vasectomies or have their tubes tied. Or institute eugenics. Who knows what the reactionary nut jobs on this Court will do?
And interfere with God's will? Blasphemy!

That was 2019. This SCOTUS might decide to lock them up. Or give them vasectomies or have their tubes tied. Or institute eugenics. Who knows what the reactionary nut jobs on this Court will do?

There was actually a big debate over this same thing in Tennessee. A judge about 60 miles out of Nashville (White County) was offering drug offenders reduced sentences in exchange for sterilization. ACLU and the like threw a fit, but the state as a whole was supportive.

There was actually a big debate over this same thing in Tennessee. A judge about 60 miles out of Nashville (White County) was offering drug offenders reduced sentences in exchange for sterilization. ACLU and the like threw a fit, but the state as a whole was supportive.
Interesting. How far did it get in terms of implementation?

This is an outrage! Next thing you know, they're going to outlaw defecation on public sidewalks!!!

These regressive policies present significant barriers to progress!

Not so, the court simply said if no “adequate alternative” was available.

That’s why I suggested that each zip code offer adequate, yet not fancy, camping facilities. That makes it legal to give them a choice: move to an approved “free” campsite or go to jail. If need be, make the campsites consist of high-rise platforms.
I remember they tried that in Iowa and the locals complained,well they still do it appears

In Kansas

I live just south of Nashville in the most affluent town in the state. When I moved here 14 years ago there was never homeless beggers running around. Now they are at every highway on-off ramp, major intersections, everywhere. They step in front of cars in traffic, they have drug camps popping up, we just had a cop get stabbed when approaching a homeless camp. This isn't about a lack of economic opportunity, these camps are surrounded by help wanted signs for jobs offering $17-18/hr all over the place. You talk to the police, the hospital admin, the shelter operators, they are almost all addicts. Sorry, but the state has an obligation to do something when they represent a public safety issue.
Sounds like what they need is an investment in mental health and addiction services, not prison.

This is an outrage! Next thing you know, they're going to outlaw defecation on public sidewalks!!!

These regressive policies present significant barriers to progress!
So prison is the best place for them?

No what they need is affordable housing, not all homeless are mental or drug addicts
You need affordable housing too but as you say if most are addicts they will need mental health and addiction services to become productive members of society so they can do things like hold down a job.

So prison is the best place for them?
Why do you think that?

I mean, what's wrong with this? The colors of the tents can be quite pretty and people can just walk on the streets (so long as they're quiet - others might be sleeping).

920x1240.jpg

You need affordable housing too but as you say if most are addicts they will need mental health and addiction services to become productive members of society so they can do things like hold down a job.
That's why I move to red states with a high manufacturing base

Because red states are famous for their extensive welfare programs?
You against progressive taxes and the liberal welfare system now?

You against progressive taxes and the liberal welfare system now?
It was sarcastic because red states are famous for doing the opposite, as the OP demonstrates.

I was once locked up in such a facility (for a DUI conviction) and was charged $15/day cell rent (every day), but permitted to go to work 5 days/week.
That always grinds my gears. How dare you lock me up and demand I pay for my imprisonment!

That really pisses me off because society isn’t footing the bill for their own laws. No wonder there are so many laws!

That always grinds my gears. How dare you lock me up and demand I pay for my imprisonment!

That really pisses me off because society isn’t footing the bill for their own laws. No wonder there are so many laws!
Tell me about it, most jails you can't even buy cigarettes anymore, at least you can still make moonshine

Sounds like what they need is an investment in mental health and addiction services, not prison.

The sad truth is that the addiction programs just don't work no matter how well intentioned. You are looking at overwhelming recitivism rates. Honestly, you are better off just shoving them to some part of the nation/state that you can ignore while they all slowly kill themselves from ODs

Prison is not the answer to homelessness. Affordable housing and mental health services are.
It's so simple! Makes you wonder why nobody has ever tried affordable housing and mental health services!

I remember they tried that in Iowa and the locals complained,well they still do it appears

That is ridiculous. If I lived there then I would “camp” (preferably with a large group of bikers) at the entrance to a high-end store or in the yard of a city official and see how fast the city changed their policy of not having police remove trespassers.

Paywall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom