• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Home cooking vs restaurants

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Which is the less expensive way to eat well?

Is it just you? Restaurants. If you are feeding a family, it's cheaper to buy food and cook it yourself.

Home cookin'!

You can feed two people comfortably and nutritiously for $50 a week. There's no way to do that eating out.

With home cooking you know your food is sanitary and safe. Houston,TX has alot of restaturant reviews and inspections. Many if not the great majority are not sanitary enough for the average persons liking. I am often tempted to ask a place if I can go in to their kitchen before I order but if I did I would probably runout screaming.We have all seen the signs about employees must wash their hands after the washroom but do they wash for the minimum of 20 seconds to destroy bacteria? I seriously doubt it. A recent study in Houston found that 67% of the lemons taken from glasses of water had human fecal matter on them.

Heya GP. :2wave: Home cooking is less expensive and you get more for your money.

Home cooking is always going to be cheaper, like meal for like meal. Pancakes at the diner cost 4.99, but cost anyone who can make them under a dollar to make. Eggs, milk, and flour. It's that easy.

A ribeye at a steak house is going to cost 20 bucks or more. To buy that same steak at the store, it's 10 bucks, maybe less. Baked potato and green beans aren't going to cost another 10 bucks.

Fact is, a restaurant has to pay a manager, serving staff, cooks, facilities, AND have some profit after its all said and done. Everything in the food biz, with the exception of steak and seafood, is marked up a MINIMUM of 100%, always. Most places will have ONE menu item that's a "loss leader", something with minimal markup, that's advertised, to entice people in. Everything else? Marked up at least 100%. Pasta is marked up 400%.

As for sanitation...fact is, nothing is ever sanitary enough for some, and others don't care either way. There is bacteria and fecal matter in the AIR. When I fart, what, exactly, do you think you are inhaling? The human mouth has more bacteria in it than my asshole. True story. I could bite you, break the skin, and without medical attention, you're far more likely to die of infection, than if you lick my asshole. I will say this, though. Avoid Chinese buffets.

A good cheap meal to try is pulled pork. Buy a Boston butt, usually about 1.99 per pound. Slow cook it, either in a crock pot, it a reg pot on a burner, or in the oven. Hack up some Spanish onions, toss in the pot. Pour in about 1/4-1/2 cup of vinegar, depending on size of cooking pot/dish. You want about half an inch of white vin on the bottom, with the onions. Now add about a half cup of apple juice, 1/4 cup of honey, and a cup of brown sugar. Salt it to taste, then add garlic and onion powder. Toss in the butt, cook on low till its falling off the bone (about 8 hours), pull it out and pull it apart, let sit on a cookie sheet. Increase heat on the juice in pot, to a boil, add a touch of flour, a littler more honey, and some crushed red pepper. Boil till it reduces/thickens a bit, take the heat, and let cool. Toss pulled pork in pan, pour in some sauce, fry up till good and hot, and serve. It's delicious, makes enough for SEVERAL meals, and costs under 20 bucks.

Eating out if you're single is often cheaper as your not wasting all of the extra ingredients you'll never use on your own that you would otherwise put to use with a family before they go to waste. But, if single and willing to grow a garden, shop for the best deals, and learn to be a reasonably good and efficient cook, you could do it cheaper, healthier, and better tasting at home.

Eating out if you're single is often cheaper as your not wasting all of the extra ingredients you'll never use on your own that you would otherwise put to use with a family before they go to waste. But, if single and willing to grow a garden, shop for the best deals, and learn to be a reasonably good and efficient cook, you could do it cheaper, healthier, and better tasting at home.

Not to mention that it is very difficult to learn how to cook for just one, and a loaf of bread goes stale and moldy before you can finish it. :lol:

I've been thinking that I need to open a grocery store that carries only small portions for single people. Buy bread by the half-loaf, small cans of veggies, no milk or juice containers larger than 1/2 gallon, and cheese or deli meat sold by the slice. :lol:

The waste is the biggest hidden expense when cooking for one.

Convenience foods are expensive, and questionable on nutrition, and if you have any type of food allergies, convenience foods carry some rude surprises in them. Home cooked is best.

Which is the less expensive way to eat well?

Eating at home is more healthful and certainly less expensive. Restaurant food is generally salt and fat laden; fewer fresh foods are used; unless you're eating in fine restaurants, everything is frozen and/or canned. Chefs use their hands for just about everything; and it's anyone's guess whether or not they are washing their hands or cross-contaminating. Restaurant kitchens are too often dirty and loaded with bacteria. Food is often stretched to its freshness/safety limits.

There's no comparison.

Hey Liz :2wave:

I've been ambitious before and have bought whole hams or turkeys on sale thinking I would eat them within a week and for some reason just couldn't force myself to get past half of them. I think it's a psychological thing. I usually buy rotisserie chickens or can buy a couple pounds of salmon at a time which works out a little better for me.

Not to mention that it is very difficult to learn how to cook for just one, and a loaf of bread goes stale and moldy before you can finish it. :lol:

I've been thinking that I need to open a grocery store that carries only small portions for single people. Buy bread by the half-loaf, small cans of veggies, no milk or juice containers larger than 1/2 gallon, and cheese or deli meat sold by the slice. :lol:

Definitely something that's missing from the regular markets.... you've got yourself a niche! :thumbs:

If you do not include a charge for your time, preparing your own food will almost always be cheaper than having someone else do it.

i'm a single dude (at least for now,) so this it what i do :

i make my own breakfast and lunch. when it comes to dinner, it's challenging to cook for one, and it generates leftovers that i can only use sometimes. i generally get dinner at subway and i go to the same one all of the time. this has resulted in them giving me a generous discount, which makes it cheaper for me to eat there.

this wouldn't work for everyone, but i really don't mind having a different sub for dinner every night. those who are less routine oriented are probably better off cooking.

A good cheap meal to try is pulled pork. Buy a Boston butt, usually about 1.99 per pound. Slow cook it, either in a crock pot, it a reg pot on a burner, or in the oven. Hack up some Spanish onions, toss in the pot. Pour in about 1/4-1/2 cup of vinegar, depending on size of cooking pot/dish. You want about half an inch of white vin on the bottom, with the onions. Now add about a half cup of apple juice, 1/4 cup of honey, and a cup of brown sugar. Salt it to taste, then add garlic and onion powder. Toss in the butt, cook on low till its falling off the bone (about 8 hours), pull it out and pull it apart, let sit on a cookie sheet. Increase heat on the juice in pot, to a boil, add a touch of flour, a littler more honey, and some crushed red pepper. Boil till it reduces/thickens a bit, take the heat, and let cool. Toss pulled pork in pan, pour in some sauce, fry up till good and hot, and serve. It's delicious, makes enough for SEVERAL meals, and costs under 20 bucks.

I have a good recipe for shredded chicken taco meat, and it keeps in the fridge very well, and will last for multiple meals, if you like the taste.

Shredded chicken tacos

4 boneless breasts
1/2 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp salt
water

Place above ingredients in large pan with enough water to cover, and boil for approx 1 hour, then remove chicken to cool.

2 tbsp butter
1 clove garlilc, minced
1/2 med onion, chopped
1 med tomato, chipped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp marjoram
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Saute above ingredients together for about 10 minutes, then place shredded chicken and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
Add
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
Cook and stir on low for 4-5 minutes.

Lizzie sent me this recipe before you guys got it, because she likes me more, and I've made these and they're awesome!! :mrgreen:

I have a good recipe for shredded chicken taco meat, and it keeps in the fridge very well, and will last for multiple meals, if you like the taste.

Shredded chicken tacos

4 boneless breasts
1/2 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp salt
water

Place above ingredients in large pan with enough water to cover, and boil for approx 1 hour, then remove chicken to cool.

2 tbsp butter
1 clove garlilc, minced
1/2 med onion, chopped
1 med tomato, chipped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp marjoram
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Saute above ingredients together for about 10 minutes, then place shredded chicken and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
Add
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chicken broth

The waste is the biggest hidden expense when cooking for one.

Convenience foods are expensive, and questionable on nutrition, and if you have any type of food allergies, convenience foods carry some rude surprises in them. Home cooked is best.

Waste is a HUGE issue when cooking for one. You can get great value (both cost and nutritional) for your food dollar by home cooking but you have to cook in bulk and freeze. If you want to go really crazy (and have some butchering skills) you can buy a whole side of beef for around $1,000.00 which will yield between 150-200 pounds of cut beef. A whole hog will run about $650 dressed and yield more than 100 pounds of meat. It's a little bit of work but that's 2 years worth of meat for less than $2k.

Shredded chicken tacos

4 boneless breasts
1/2 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp salt
water

2 tbsp butter
1 clove garlilc, minced
1/2 med onion, chopped
1 med tomato, chipped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp marjoram
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Add
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chicken broth

Greetings, Lizzie. :2wave:

Wow, does that ever sound good! :thanks:

Y'all are killin' me.... I came home kinda hungry.

Now I'm going to have to go start dinner....

Greetings, Kevin! :2wave:

Wow, does that sound yummy! At long last, you may have given me a recipe that will rival my sister-in-law's famous pulled pork! :thanks: To avoid a rift in the family, I have decided against asking for a vote on whose is best! I'd like to live for a while longer! :lamo:

Waste is a HUGE issue when cooking for one. You can get great value (both cost and nutritional) for your food dollar by home cooking but you have to cook in bulk and freeze. If you want to go really crazy (and have some butchering skills) you can buy a whole side of beef for around $1,000.00 which will yield between 150-200 pounds of cut beef. A whole hog will run about $650 dressed and yield more than 100 pounds of meat. It's a little bit of work but that's 2 years worth of meat for less than $2k.

And for those of us who do it simple:

two fresh large Roma type tomatoes, diced in 3/4 inch cubes

Saute in olive oil, with fresh minced garlic, basil and a pinch of rubbed sage for about three minutes, until heated but not mushy.

Serve over whole grain pasta, topped with grated Romano cheese.

Finish with Hagen Daz single serving of Chocolate ice cream.

Dinner for one can be easy, and with no waste...... :wink:

And for those of us who do it simple:

two fresh large Roma type tomatoes, diced in 3/4 inch cubes

Saute in olive oil, with fresh minced garlic, basil and a pinch of rubbed sage for about three minutes, until heated but not mushy.

Serve over whole grain pasta, topped with grated Romano cheese.

Finish with Hagen Daz single serving of Chocolate ice cream.

Dinner for one can be easy, and with no waste...... :wink:

If you add some thinly sliced pancetta and a little onion to that you've got "Amatriciana" sauce which is a favorite of mine. It's especially good with a little fresh chopped basil sprinkled on top.

If you add some thinly sliced pancetta and a little onion to that you've got "Amatriciana" sauce which is a favorite of mine. It's especially good with a little fresh chopped basil sprinkled on top.

I'll sneak in a little regular bacon on occasion... okay, so I'm cheap :lol:

Back
Top Bottom