• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Home cooking vs restaurants

I need to learn how to cook like you guys. For dinner, I'm having cold salmon with honey chipotle bbq sauce on the side, and maybe some grapes to go along with it. :lamo

No wonder I'm single!!!

Is it just you? Restaurants. If you are feeding a family, it's cheaper to buy food and cook it yourself.

Greetings, Superfly. :2wave:

When I'm using the oven for cooking, I always double the recipe...2 meatloafs, 2 baked chicken, etc, and freeze the extra one. It's sooo nice to see something already cooked in the freezer when you just don't feel like, or have time for, cooking! :thumbs:

I need to learn how to cook like you guys. For dinner, I'm having cold salmon with honey chipotle bbq sauce on the side, and maybe some grapes to go along with it. :lamo

No wonder I'm single!!!

Back in the day I'd live on hot dog fried rice. I've improved a lot since then. :lol: Now I'll cook up a bunch of chicken thighs (buy in bulk on sale) and throw one in a skillet with a half bag of frozen veggies, some stir fry sauce and a bad of Uncle Ben's precooked brown rice. If I'm feeling motivated I'll crack an egg in with it and that's dinner. One pan, 10 minutes at the stove.

Yeah, I'm not that ambitious.:lol: Although I will go all out if cooking for someone else, as I made caramel apple pies from scratch for my neighbors once and they turned out pretty well. But myself, I'm not too picky and because of that I don't learn many new recipes.

Back in the day I'd live on hot dog fried rice. I've improved a lot since then. :lol: Now I'll cook up a bunch of chicken thighs (buy in bulk on sale) and throw one in a skillet with a half bag of frozen veggies, some stir fry sauce and a bad of Uncle Ben's precooked brown rice. If I'm feeling motivated I'll crack an egg in with it and that's dinner. One pan, 10 minutes at the stove.

Yeah, I'm not that ambitious.:lol: Although I will go all out if cooking for someone else, as I made caramel apple pies from scratch for my neighbors once and they turned out pretty well. But myself, I'm not too picky and because of that I don't learn many new recipes.

If you made a pie you have my full admiration! I tried it once because the ladies at the office swore I couldn't do it. It ended up costing me $60 and took about 8 hours but I got it done and didn't have to listen to any trash talk afterward:lol:

If you made a pie you have my full admiration! I tried it once because the ladies at the office swore I couldn't do it. It ended up costing me $60 and took about 8 hours but I got it done and didn't have to listen to any trash talk afterward:lol:

You should have asked for a few pointers... :doh

A good cheap meal to try is pulled pork. Buy a Boston butt, usually about 1.99 per pound. Slow cook it, either in a crock pot, it a reg pot on a burner, or in the oven. Hack up some Spanish onions, toss in the pot. Pour in about 1/4-1/2 cup of vinegar, depending on size of cooking pot/dish. You want about half an inch of white vin on the bottom, with the onions. Now add about a half cup of apple juice, 1/4 cup of honey, and a cup of brown sugar. Salt it to taste, then add garlic and onion powder. Toss in the butt, cook on low till its falling off the bone (about 8 hours), pull it out and pull it apart, let sit on a cookie sheet. Increase heat on the juice in pot, to a boil, add a touch of flour, a littler more honey, and some crushed red pepper. Boil till it reduces/thickens a bit, take the heat, and let cool. Toss pulled pork in pan, pour in some sauce, fry up till good and hot, and serve. It's delicious, makes enough for SEVERAL meals, and costs under 20 bucks.

I make those all the time, especially in the winter. If you like spicy, I usually make it with my own chile, super easy - boil a couple peppers, tomatoes, and some salt then blend with a little garlic - and cook the roast in that. Makes great tacos and sandwiches.

That's funny, mine were about as expensive and took forever to make too, but the first neighbor I took it too, who was an excellent cook herself, looked at it and said it was beautiful! The crust must have been an inch thick, but it was soaked in caramel apple glaze, so it was delicious....imo at least.

Which is the less expensive way to eat well?

Home cooking without a doubt due to the "well" part. Can't eat but so may $1 McDoubles until you keel over.

Greetings, Lutherf. :2wave:

If you hadn't insisted on using those weird little berries that only grow once every ten years in the Arctic, it probably could have been done for less, but nobody could top that! Good thinking! But what took eight hours? :lamo:

Greetings, Lutherf. :2wave:

If you hadn't insisted on using those weird little berries that only grow once every ten years in the Arctic, it probably could have been done for less, but nobody could top that! Good thinking! But what took eight hours? :lamo:

Most of the time was spent trying to get the damned crust into the pie plate. I knew it had to be rolled out with waxed paper and just folded back into the damned dish but every time I tried it got a hole in it. I must have rerolled that stuff for over an hour before I finally gave up and just patched it as needed. The other thing that took a while was the topping. It was a Jack Daniels Praline pie with a chocolate topping. I had to temper the chocolate so that it was kind of plasticy and that also took a while.

Sounds pretty complicated. But if the ladies liked it, I'm sure it was all worth while. :)

Most of the time was spent trying to get the damned crust into the pie plate. I knew it had to be rolled out with waxed paper and just folded back into the damned dish but every time I tried it got a hole in it. I must have rerolled that stuff for over an hour before I finally gave up and just patched it as needed. The other thing that took a while was the topping. It was a Jack Daniels Praline pie with a chocolate topping. I had to temper the chocolate so that it was kind of plasticy and that also took a while.

Anything involving dough or batter other than pancakes and cornbread is woman's work in my house. :shock:

Sounds pretty complicated. But if the ladies liked it, I'm sure it was all worth while. :)

They liked the pie just fine but as far as it all being worthwhile......not so much. That, however, is a whole different story.

I'd actually be happy to try it again just for the distraction but my diet doesn't include things like pie anymore.:(

I'd actually be happy to try it again just for the distraction but my diet doesn't include things like pie anymore.:(

Mine does, and I would be happy to do a taste test. :mrgreen:

Dude! First, rerolling the dough makes it TOUGH.

Second, didn't you realize that once the filling is over the 'patchwork' no one can tell? The only part that is visible is that around the edge and a fork works wonders for 'pretty checkering'...;)

Either can be inexpensive - or health - or expensive - and healthy. It depends on how the food is prepared and where you go to buy it.

Heya GP. :2wave: Home cooking is less expensive and you get more for your money.

Sold! But what about time involved in cooking vs other more pleasurable tasks such as sex? :lamo Hey, just kidding ok?

I don't have to worry about how much sodium, sugar, or fat is in my food, I can be creative with spicing and all that. And I know I'm being sanitary.

Considering the fact that everything in a restaurant is is bought in bulk and the restaurant owner then marks up those prices to pay bills and make a profit I would have to say that eating in a restaurant is more expensive.

I just love home cooked food..i have been staying away from my family for over 5 years now and i just hate eating outside..everything's oily and unhealthy up there..even the salad is not worth eating..i guess i am gonna have to move back to my family.

If you watch the show Master Chef the heavy set guy said his favorite meal above all others is Kraft Macaroni & chees with choppedup hot dogs!!!!!! True Story.

Not to mention that it is very difficult to learn how to cook for just one, and a loaf of bread goes stale and moldy before you can finish it. :lol:

I've been thinking that I need to open a grocery store that carries only small portions for single people. Buy bread by the half-loaf, small cans of veggies, no milk or juice containers larger than 1/2 gallon, and cheese or deli meat sold by the slice. :lol:

When I buy a loaf of bread, I just automatically put half of it in the freezer. It's even difficult to cook for just two after cooking for a family. Some things freeze well for another day but many things don't so you tend to eat them for days or the food is wasted and gets pitched.

Homecooking. It's also very relaxing unless it's very hot outside and you're cooking for lunch. Then it can get pretty bad.

I have to ask. What are people cooking, as single individuals, that they can't finish before they spoil? I can understand if it's an entire ham or something, but it'd still be cheaper, as an individual, to buy slices/a pound of ham from the deli as opposed to getting the same amount of ham from a restaurant. I somewhat understand bread, but you can buy half loaves these days.

Back
Top Bottom