• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hollywood Reinforces Historical Lie

disneydude said:
Maybe I've got it wrong, but it sounds like you are saying that Hollywood should only make movies that you find acceptable.

I don't think that's what he is saying. I think he is saying an iota or two of intellectual diversity (or honesty for that matter) from the "pro-diversity" crowd who runs our entertainment industry would be a much welcomed improvement.

disneydude said:
Alphamale:

Maybe I've got it wrong, but it sounds like you are saying that Hollywood should only make movies that you find acceptable.

Did I say that? I don't remember saying that!

Last time I picked up the newspaper I saw a variety of movie playing in the theater. Hollywood is and always has been about making money, however, they are and always have been about making movies to express ideas.

Once again, movie revenue has been DECLINING for eight years. Movies have relentlessly become vehicles for the liberal/left worldview.

BTW: Have you seen CRASH? The movie is not about white racisim. If you want to generalize it I guess you could say its about multi-ethnic racisim, but its really about how we make generalizations about people based on race and few take time out to venture out of their own "culture" until they crash into each other.
The way you classify the film says a lot. Either you didn't see it and are making uneducated comments (which is bad), OR you did see it and recognized only the white racisim in the film (which is even worse).

Yeah, I held my nose and saw it. The examples of non-white racism pale beside the "driving while black" scene.,

Gibberish said:
alphamale if you want a dictatorship that controls the media and entertainment industry perhaps you should move to Iran.

That's a bit hysterical. That's not what he's saying at all.

Conservative books almost always sell like hotcakes, liberal ones almost always bomb. Conservative radio is an unmitigated success, liberal radio fails miserably everytime it is attempted. Conservative cable news annihilates its liberal competition. Even conservative opinion journalist shows beat the crap out of the liberal Phil Donahues.

So why do you suppose so many more people want to get their information from conservatives?

The people who are the types to look things up, operate on facts and evidence, seek substantive information, or care about getting the right answer-i.e., mainstream America-never want liberal commentary (see the last six elections). Middle America leans to the right and all people get from the left is hysterically unreasonable, uneducated ranting and conspiracy theories.

The point...

Middle America is conservative, and they would like to have an occasional movie come out that doesn't cram adolescent liberal hysterics down their throats. Nobody is out to force Hollywood to make different movies, but their obnoxious, immature views and the way they force them into every movie gets old.

aquapub said:
That's a bit hysterical. That's not what he's saying at all.

Conservative books almost always sell like hotcakes, liberal ones almost always bomb. Conservative radio is an unmitigated success, liberal radio fails miserably everytime it is attempted. Conservative cable news annihilates its liberal competition. Even conservative opinion journalist shows beat the crap out of the liberal Phil Donahues.

So why do you suppose so many more people want to get their information from conservatives?

The people who are the types to look things up, operate on facts and evidence, seek substantive information, or care about getting the right answer-i.e., mainstream America-never want liberal commentary (see the last six elections). Middle America leans to the right and all people get from the left is hysterically unreasonable, uneducated ranting and conspiracy theories.

The point...

Middle America is conservative, and they would like to have an occasional movie come out that doesn't cram adolescent liberal hysterics down their throats. Nobody is out to force Hollywood to make different movies, but their obnoxious, immature views and the way they force them into every movie gets old.

Actually, many liberal books have outsold conservative books. For example, Al Franken’s book A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right outsold ever other Conservative book that year. Bill Clinton’s Autobiography was at the top of the best sellers list for quite some time. Michael Moore’s books always sell extremely well.

Once again, you haven’t the slightest idea what you are talking about.

More to the point though. Honestly, why do you hate liberals so much?

Gibberish said:
Homosexuality is big in the news in America so the entertainment industry will use this to make money.

Homosexuality is "big" nowadays because the liberal media has a project to mainstream homosexuality.

People in today’s world do not want the "Brady bunch". The majority of America is entertained by hero stories of love and/or triumph surrounding a story of corruption, hate, struggle, death, fear, etc.

So the choice is between "The Brady Bunch" and gay cowboys??? Yeah ... surrrrrrrre.

Why do you think Reality TV is so big? People want to see other people's struggle in hard situations. Whether that be physically, mentally, or emotionally. They want the anticipation of seeing other individual overcome struggles, not have everything work out great with no problems.

Nonsense - "reality TV" is almost ironically named - it has little to do with reality, and it's "Big" because it's production costs are generally low, and there are lots of idiots in this country with low brow taste in entertainment.

Politics, corruption, racism, and terrorism have been movie subjects every year since atleast the mid 80's. You cannot point out 2005 as being exclusive to these things.

You miss the point - it's not these subjects, but rather the relentless liberal/left take on them that is tedious and offensive.

alphamale if you want a dictatorship that controls the media and entertainment industry perhaps you should move to Iran.

Don't have to move to Iran to get that - the media here is as well controlled by a relative handful of liberals as it is controlled in Iran by a handful of imams.

Last edited:
Willoughby said:
just imagine how boring a mivie about traditional family values would be

And the choice is between that and all the liberal/left sewage? Yeah, gotcha.

disneydude said:
Can you say paranoia? Dude, you've been watching too many horror movies.

THIS, from a liberal. Look out dude, the neocon conspirators are zeroing in on you with oil company helicopters, but they won't be able to track your brain waves if you put on your tin hat.

aquapub said:
There isn't one. I stayed up for over an hour typing this out last night.
Guess you really don't have much else better to do with your life then

aquapub said:
It wouldn't be such a big deal if there was a way for people to get the actual facts and the other side of the story, but far left labor unions control the textbooks, the far left controls the universities, and the far left controls Hollywood.
When you're so far right in the corner as you are I guess it's no wonder everyone else is left of you.
Universities, academic institutes, if you think they are left then I guess that shows your ignorance.
Fact is if it weren't for labor unions and universities I suppose we'd still be living the same way prior to any civil rights movements or labor unions saftey guidlines. Essentially life would still be cheap.

Navy Pride said:
Only to someone like you......................Good moral movies actually do better at the box office here in the USA.........
Good moral movies? Lol, name one. Maybe you are referencing 10 Commandments?
You know, the entertainment market is not just limited to the US alone, there is an international market.
Not to mention, most of the major block busters money makers don't exactly show good morals, but more so of blowing things up and other special effects.
Speaking of which, just which movie are you referencing to that shows bad morals?

SouthernDemocrat said:
Actually, many liberal books have outsold conservative books. For example, Al Franken’s book A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right outsold ever other Conservative book that year. Bill Clinton’s Autobiography was at the top of the best sellers list for quite some time. Michael Moore’s books always sell extremely well.

Do you have links on Franken outselling everyone else?

aquapub said:
I don't think that's what he is saying. I think he is saying an iota or two of intellectual diversity (or honesty for that matter) from the "pro-diversity" crowd who runs our entertainment industry would be a much welcomed improvement.
Perhaps instead of all this racial diversity hollywood should be making more movies with shwatikas and white hoods, there's some uniformity for you, as well as hardcore christian values.

jfuh said:
Perhaps instead of all this racial diversity hollywood should be making more movies with shwatikas and white hoods, there's some uniformity for you, as well as hardcore christian values.

The idiot's dichotomy: not black, therefore white.

SouthernDemocrat said:

Simple, can you imagine living day in and day out of your life when the rest of the world around you shuns you out of the mainstream as an extreemist that's wack to the head? Get's pretty lonesome being in the far right corner of the world. The only escape is by bashing an ideal that you know nothing about through self-endulgence in a virtual world cowaring behind a computer monitor.
This thread is just liberal bashers R us. This thread belongs in the basement.

Last edited:
Television is horrible, especially reality television. I think it caters to the teens and twenties crowd, maybe I am wrong.

I mean please, The Bachelor is the worst. The guy spends weeks on end making out with multiple girls.... usually is in love with all of them ..... He picks one chick who makes it to the end, (big deal) they make a big whoopla out of it, families meeting families who dont give a crap......he gives her a big fake diamond, the rejected babe cries all the way back to the mansion... and they break up one day later.........I mean who are the stupid people that watch these programs? Ok I watched a few episodes....:rofl

I watched because I needed a good laugh that day and it was really so stupid I couldnt turn it off.

The networks play us for fools.......And after you watch a show like that you really feel like one.

Don't even get me started on Wife Swap.....

I remembering watching a Jesssica Simpson Christmas special a few years ago....it was T-H-E FUNNIEST AND WORST display of television I have ever seen seriously. She and her ex-hubby were absoutely horrendous.

In one skit, they had some chick lick his hairy arm pit. A CHRISTMAS SHOW???????????????????

Her lip liner was so wide I thought it was my television and I kept trying to make it come into focus better...........

What ever happend to Andy Williams and the luv-a-ly Lennon sisters??????? :rofl :rofl sigh

TV is bad.

I'd just like to comment on the liberal books outselling the conservative ones. I buy tons of liberal books. I find they make great toilet reading. Especially Michael Moore books. They are very entertaining. Plus I like to get an in depth look at what liberals are thinking. I like to know their arguments ahead of time. So I don't think you can base alot on the fact that these books sell. Look how well Michael Moore's movie did? Did that help Kerry win any elections....nope.

The GREAT thing about America is that we live in a land of FREEDOM where we have choices (at least for now). We live in a land where I can go down to my local 12-plex and choose from Narnia or Brokeback, I can choose a documentary about penguins or Crash, I can see Chicken Little or Transamerica. America, "the land of the Free" - what a concept!
If Alpha, Aqua and Navy had it their way our only choices would be between:

Passion of the Christ
Passion of the Christ II
Repassion of the Chirst
Revenge of the Passion of the Christ
Return of the Passion of the Chirst
Passion of the Christ III
Passion of the Christ - the resurrection
Passion of the Christ - the ressurection II

doughgirl said:
Television is horrible, especially reality television. I think it caters to the teens and twenties crowd, maybe I am wrong.

I

I have never seen "The Bachelor." The only Reality show I like is The Amazing Race. I saw one episode on America's Next Top Model just because it was on Channel V when I turned on the TV one afternoon, so I watched it was I was getting dinner ready. It didn't do anything for me.

The Amazing Race includes some culture, travel, and genuine interactions between people in the real world, with a competitive twist. No voting - truly the best team wins. Race nine begins airing in Asia tomorrow. I do hope they have fewer models than races 5 and 6. Number 8 was nice with the family edition. We shall see what nine has in store. (PLEASE, NO SPOILERS on that - I know it has already aired Stateside - thanks!)

alphamale said:
Too chicken to debate! HAHAHAHA!!!! :2razz:

So your "logic" is that if something is anti-black racism, it must be pro-white racism, despite being made by a white guy?

Woah, paranoia much.

Navy Pride said:
Only to someone like you......................Good moral movies actually do better at the box office here in the USA.........

Name one. What constitutes a "good moral movie", anyway?

Top 10 US box-office successes for 2005:

1. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (uh oh, full of aliens and people killing each other!)
2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (sorcery, violence and family dysfunction - as despised by fundie Christians worldwide)
3. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (written by a Christian author - but still full of violence and supernatural themes, resulting in Christian boycotts)
4. War of the Worlds (more aliens, violence, family dysfunction)
5. King Kong (again, much violence, and some creepy ape/chick thing going on)
6. Wedding Crashers (yay! Sex, swearing, drunkeness, crude humour!)
7. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (well, this one was cute, but still quite dark)
8. Batman Begins (Woohoo! More violence!)
9. Madagascar (Another cute one, but given they're both kids' films, hardly a relevation)
10. Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Again, more violence! Husband and wife trying to kill each other, lots of swearing, sex...)

I don't see many "wholesome" films in there... thank God you can still watch kids' movies though, eh?

Assuming there's no foul play, Academy Awards are chosen based on the quality of filmmaking or performance. From an artistic viewpoint, there is no doubt that a movie such as Capote is of higher quality than Wedding Crashers. Generally, award winners have serious themes (even comedies of musicals like Chicago, which won Best Picture in 2003), because you cannot have art without meaning.

However, personally, I prefer the BAFTAs. They're less about actors patting each other on the back, and more about the art.

disneydude said:
The GREAT thing about America is that we live in a land of FREEDOM where we have choices (at least for now). We live in a land where I can go down to my local 12-plex and choose from Narnia or Brokeback, I can choose a documentary about penguins or Crash, I can see Chicken Little or Transamerica. America, "the land of the Free" - what a concept!
If Alpha, Aqua and Navy had it their way our only choices would be between:

Passion of the Christ
Passion of the Christ II
Repassion of the Chirst
Revenge of the Passion of the Christ
Return of the Passion of the Chirst
Passion of the Christ III
Passion of the Christ - the resurrection
Passion of the Christ - the ressurection II
You forgot, Passion of Christ Episode I - The Christ menace.

doughgirl said:

I mean please, The Bachelor is the worst. The guy spends weeks on end making out with multiple girls.... usually is in love with all of them ..... He picks one chick who makes it to the end, (big deal) they make a big whoopla out of it, families meeting families who dont give a crap......he gives her a big fake diamond, the rejected babe cries all the way back to the mansion... and they break up one day later.........I mean who are the stupid people that watch these programs? Ok I watched a few episodes....:rofl

I watched because I needed a good laugh that day and it was really so stupid I couldnt turn it off.

The networks play us for fools.......And after you watch a show like that you really feel like one.

Don't even get me started on Wife Swap.....

I remembering watching a Jesssica Simpson Christmas special a few years ago....it was T-H-E FUNNIEST AND WORST display of television I have ever seen seriously. She and her ex-hubby were absoutely horrendous.

In one skit, they had some chick lick his hairy arm pit. A CHRISTMAS SHOW???????????????????

Her lip liner was so wide I thought it was my television and I kept trying to make it come into focus better...........

What ever happend to Andy Williams and the luv-a-ly Lennon sisters??????? :rofl :rofl sigh

TV is bad.
For some one that seems to hate reality TV, or just TV in general so much, I guess I just have one question.
Why are you watching it? Do you know what that off switch is for?

"For some one that seems to hate reality TV, or just TV in general so much, I guess I just have one question.
Why are you watching it? Do you know what that off switch is for?"

I watched the final episode of The Bachelor ONCE.

I have been to friends homes where they have had them on but never did actually see or turn one on to watch the whole thing through.

My kids tell me a lot about them because they like them. And commerical tell a lot.

I happened to enjoy Pride and Prejudice this year.....no violence, sex scenes, profanity. Excellent movie.

One of my all time favorite movies was...Secondhand Lion, now that had it all.

What we see today are movies in which violation of values is exalted. The fag cowboy movie involved adultery as well as crimes against nature. Big deal
Fag is not a nice term. Please don't use it in future

Once again, movie revenue has been DECLINING for eight years. Movies have relentlessly become vehicles for the liberal/left worldview
If you are trying to link the two then you are on a road to nowhere

people get there information from the place that most agrees with their viewpoint. I don't think it either side is better but people just want their particular view satisfied

Homosexuality is "big" nowadays because the liberal media has a project to mainstream homosexuality.
it is quite mainstream. 10% of people

Don't have to move to Iran to get that - the media here is as well controlled by a relative handful of liberals as it is controlled in Iran by a handful of imams
that just bollocks...

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
What we see today are movies in which violation of values is exalted. The fag cowboy movie involved adultery as well as crimes against nature. Big deal.
Fag cowboy? What's with the homophobia?
What crime against nature was commited in that "fag cowboy movie"? Did you see that movie?

Back
Top Bottom