• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hold onto your hats as the Dow approaches a 1000 point decline

Lol, I notice and often love big market dips and increases despite the party in office. Those dip buying opportunities are great as are the periods when you sit tight and watch your invested money go up or even soar.
Biden is mostly irrelevant to today's market activity but we'll see what happens with inflation going forward. Should it not be "transitory", Biden's name will move to the forefront of stock market discussions.
Good, then like it was under Obama and Trump and almost every president in recent history, the dow will set a record like it always has and always will.

if you're < 45yo you better be thinking long term and not let the peaks and valleys bother you.

Good, then like it was under Obama and Trump and almost every president in recent history, the dow will set a record like it always has and always will.
Do you mean under Biden that it will set a record? I believe it already has.

I respectfully disagree. Given historical market performance there is no good reason to not stay heavily invested in a diverse portfolio of equities. Even after retirement.
at one time i was 85% in high growth equities

market is WAY TOO FROTHY for my taste

but to each his own

i have pulled back and gone more conservative and gone more blue chip/dividend with 25% in cash and only 45% in high growth

I’m sorry? I’m a white woman who owns a home in one of the most expensive areas on the planet. How does your racism and inability to earn as much as me prove that the white community has forged anything ahead of anyone?
my apology

i could have sworn you said you were a black woman in another post

I'm not aware that Aunt Antifa is black; One can earn a good living, not invest in the stock market and stilll create wealth.

i understand one can....but HISTORY tells us that wealth is built in this nation through mainly two ways

real estate and the market

and the VAST MAJORITY of people that earn even decent money INVEST said money

You arent allowed to criticize black people. You can only attack white males. You must have missed the memo

but apparently i was wrong about her color and apologized

still not wrong about her not investing though

my apology

i could have sworn you said you were a black woman in another post

It’s hilarious that you think *that* is what’s wrong with your comment.

but apparently i was wrong about her color and apologized

still not wrong about her not investing though

Who said I don’t invest? And I‘m pretty sure I have more money than you by a lot, so what is it you’re basing this life lesson on, and to whom should it be aimed at?

i understand one can....but HISTORY tells us that wealth is built in this nation through mainly two ways

real estate and the market

and the VAST MAJORITY of people that earn even decent money INVEST said money
Meh.

My portfolio is 40 percent international, 40 percent US and 20 percent bonds. I studied how each of these mutual funds performed before and after 2008. And made a weekend out of it then I stopped thinking about it. It continues to be a money generator for me generally creating more money each week than any job ever paid me.

I rarely touch it and I can assure everyone here that I was not gambling.

Day traders are the gamblers and these computer buying and selling programs are the bane of the markets.

Not a chance I will ever put another penny into the markets. The last 15 years or so have been gangbusters. Time to spend and enjoy. Our problem is we have lived a certain way for so long I don't think we know how to live differently. Except when we spend we now go a little higher end......sometimes.

Do you mean under Biden that it will set a record? I believe it already has.
It will again, my friend. It will reach the highest it's ever been before the end of Biden's first term. I'm willing to place a friendly, non-monetary, wager if you'd like :) You name it, as long as it's legal and non-indecent, I'll agree to it!

It will again, my friend. It will reach the highest it's ever been before the end of Biden's first term. I'm willing to place a friendly, non-monetary, wager if you'd like :) You name it, as long as it's legal and non-indecent, I'll agree to it!
I don't doubt this at all. Why would you think I would? I expect the market will far exceed its current high in the next 3+ years. My OP had nothing whatsoever to do with this president or any other. This thread was about today's performance in the Dow.

Ohhh... right-wing oppotunity to attack Biden. Too bad the dip is only temporary and the stock market will continue to go up as it has for the past several decades. Your wishful thinking that the market will crash is adorable, but no realistic.
I had to go back to the beginning to see who brought Biden into this thread. LOL.

Delta is serious, it could cause another collapse like last year's. And after Delta, there will be other variants, God forbid ANY of them might be vaccine resistant, but to my way of thinking, we screwed the world over royally, maybe it is time it screwed us over royally in return.
Lol Mother Gaia paganism from the secular left. “Oh mother Gaia is taking her revenge on us, we are the virus” pffft 🙄

market is WAY TOO FROTHY for my taste
Mine too! A nice correction would come as no surprise to me.
After moving to a far too cautious investment position for a time right before and around retirement, since it just felt so weird to be moving to a fixed income - now we've corrected that and we're where we want to be for the long haul. So, while we'll just stay put and not take anything off the table, buying opportunities are always welcome for accumulated cash since the last buying opportunity.

if you all remember Kmart

they used to have the "blue light" specials while you were in the store

my mother used to love those

i love those in equities....when traders and short sellers push down prices to where i see a "blue light special buying opportunity"

we need more selling to create a few for me.....
Yep!

It's starting to look like a big down day in the market today. We'll see if it changes its mind and moderates but it's looking like a rough day right now.
Many had predicted a market collapse last year by april or may, seems stimulous money and other money may have kicked the can down the road a little.

I do believe the market will collapse and agree with those who predicted it would have major dropouts, because their logic was clear. Many predictors predicted the outcome would have been independant of whether trump or biden won, but rather would eventually drop due to market values being grossly overinflated during a pandemic, where economic activity was dropping yet market values were going sky high, almost reminiscent of the dot com boom, where dot com companies kept going up in value before market reality hit them.

However the same people predicting the crash were expecting tech companies and real estate to take the biggest hits, and commodities and business who produce physical products to be hit the least. The logic behind this was that tech companies like apple facebook etc kept going higher and higher, they reached the point their market cap far exceeded profits, which means peoples faith in the companies was higher than the actual value, it would be inevitable that they did come crashing down at some point.

Last year, on a March day, the Dow declined almost 3000 points. I'm thinking that was due to the COVID scare of what was to come in terms of economies closing. The media is talking about today's decline being mostly attributable to the Delta variant but I'd guess inflation worries are certainly in the mix of concerns too.
Last year though the markets recovered at blazing speed, which is why many speculate it will crash hard, economic output dropped in 2020 near worldwide but the stockmarket went sky high, when the stock market far outpaces company values and economic output it will inevitably crash and crash hard. the question will be when it actually falls and who makes out like a bandit and who loses everything, as the timing of such a crash is often unpredictable down to an exact date, but rather usually a period of atleast a few months.

Who said I don’t invest? And I‘m pretty sure I have more money than you by a lot, so what is it you’re basing this life lesson on, and to whom should it be aimed at?
Good. **** the stock market. Its not an indicator of the country’s financial well-being. Just rich people playing with everyone else’s money.

that is your quote verbatim

**** the stock market........yeah....sounds like you invest heavily

please enlighten us with your wisdom and brilliance, and how you make your money work for you

Back
Top Bottom