• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hold Churches to the same standard as everyone else?

Questerr

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Currently, in order to qualify as a tax exempt organization, non-profits have to open their books to the IRS and prove they are charitable organizations that qualify for that exemption.

Unless they are churches. Churches get assumed by default to be charitable non-profits and don’t have to open their books.

Given the rise of millionaire mega church pastors and the increasing involvement of churches in politics, I think it’s well past time for churches to be held to the same standard as everyone else. If they want tax exemption, let them prove they qualify for it, and if they can’t, let them be taxed like any other organization of their type.

What says everyone else? Should churches be held to the same standard or should our secular government continue to give them special privileges?

Currently, in order to qualify as a tax exempt organization, non-profits have to open their books to the IRS and prove they are charitable organizations that qualify for that exemption.

Unless they are churches. Churches get assumed by default to be charitable non-profits and don’t have to open their books.

Given the rise of millionaire mega church pastors and the increasing involvement of churches in politics, I think it’s well past time for churches to be held to the same standard as everyone else. If they want tax exemption, let them prove they qualify for it, and if they can’t, let them be taxed like any other organization of their type.

What says everyone else? Should churches be held to the same standard or should our secular government continue to give them special privileges?
Better idea: hold universities to the same standard as everyone else.

Better idea: hold universities to the same standard as everyone else.

Most are state entities. The for-profit private universities are already held to that standard.

Most are state entities. The for-profit private universities are already held to that standard.
The overwhelming majority of "private" universities are classified as "non-profit" despite not meeting any reasonable definition of that word.

But neither of our proposals are motivated by accounting concerns, are they?

The overwhelming majority of "private" universities are classified as "non-profit" despite not meeting any reasonable definition of that word.

But neither of our proposals are motivated by accounting concerns, are they?

Any private colleges that don't qualify for tax exempt status should have that status stripped and be taxed appropriately.

Same thing with so-called non profit hospitals.

Yes most certainly
theres no reason to make a special standard

and while it has been done already the grey area of church/business needs shrunk and anytime a religious org is playing in public waters it should also have to follow the same rules and or have its tax status (at least for that specific instants) stripped

this has happened when churches have owned property and rented them as public venues and got caught violenting laws/rights
As a religious person myself i don't get special rights i have to play by the same rule everybody else does . .

Absolutely Yes. Here in the South, many churches have Voter Guides. Yeah... Guides that a biased as the proverbial hell.
So much for the separation of Church and State. I'm fed up with that crap.
The voter guides have to be 501-C3 compliant. So, how is that, "biased"?

I don't accept your statement, without any support, that churches are assumed by default to be non-profits. They aren't non-profits and don't pretend to be. The are tax exempt on religious properties because the Constitution, which many hate, says churches should be free of government interference and no interference is greater than taxation until we're considering concentration camps again. Churches pay normal taxes on properties owned, such as apartment houses, that are not for religious use and employees of churches pay income taxes as many, but not all, of us do.

Back
Top Bottom