• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

HIV Patients Told by Pentacostal Pastors to Rely on God.

shrubnose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Some young HIV patients in Great Britain are giving up their medicine after being told by Pentecostal pastors to rely on faith in God instead, doctors warn.

Learn more here: http://www.bbco.uk/news/uk-23729684

I could say a lot more, but I am just going to say that this sounds dangerous to me.

What do you think?

"Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

Fisher

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
11 people in 5 years is not exactly that big of a thing. It is in line with the thinking of some of the more extreme Pentecostal churches. I imagine that the same 29 who felt pressured and 11 who stopped taking meds were part of congregations where the message would have been the same for non-HIV patients.

So what I think is that this story is slanted in a way of its title to try to make the religious seem to be trying to trick gays into dying to those who see the article but only skim headlines.

KevinKohler

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Social Darwinism in action.

KevinKohler

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I prefer Rude Darwinism. The Social Darwinists always talk too much even when you say for the third time that you need another drink.

You don't have to be a social Darwinist to observe the phenomena in action.

In this case, a religion that vilifies modern medicine, having a decreasing congregation, as a direct result of their belief system. Modern medicine saves lives. Period. I have yet to witness a faith healing, and I'm from the Bible Belt.

TiredOfLife

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
You don't have to be a social Darwinist to observe the phenomena in action.

In this case, a religion that vilifies modern medicine, having a decreasing congregation, as a direct result of their belief system. Modern medicine saves lives. Period. I have yet to witness a faith healing, and I'm from the Bible Belt.
I always find it odd that somehow God made the world but he didn't help in making modern drugs?

Stewart

Cammunist
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
As sad as it is, they have every right to both preach this and cease treatment.

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Some young HIV patients in Great Britain are giving up their medicine after being told by Pentecostal pastors to rely on faith in God instead, doctors warn.

I could say a lot more, but I am just going to say that this sounds dangerous to me.

What do you think?

"Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

Seems to me that an asafetida bag around your neck including some Little John the Conqueroo would work just as well.

TacticalEvilDan

Shankmasta Killa
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

I don't see where any parent has the right to refuse life-saving treatment for their children when the prognosis with that treatment is good. It's not as though we're talking about the difference between 3 comfortable months without chemo and 6 wretched months with chemo.

Stewart

Cammunist
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

What do you think?

The link isn't working.

Stewart

Cammunist
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I don't see where any parent has the right to refuse life-saving treatment for their children when the prognosis with that treatment is good. It's not as though we're talking about the difference between 3 comfortable months without chemo and 6 wretched months with chemo.

I don't see where I said that. I believe a 16yo has the wherewithal for medical self-determination.

Goshin

Burned Out Ex-Mod
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Sounds like their problem and none of my business.

TacticalEvilDan

Shankmasta Killa
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I don't see where I said that. I believe a 16yo has the wherewithal for medical self-determination.

Well, your comment was very general, and the article included incidents where parents were making horrible decisions for very young children. From the article:

• Some said they had dealt with parents who felt under pressure to stop giving their young children their HIV medicine - and some had actually done so
  • Others were breastfeeding mothers with HIV who refused the medicine that would stop the virus being passed onto their babies

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Any preacher who is preaching against science and logic should be thrown out of the church. Christianity isn't afraid of knowledge. Only knownothings are.

Spriggs05

Anarcho Facist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Any preacher who is preaching against science and logic should be thrown out of the church. Christianity isn't afraid of knowledge. Only knownothings are.

Is that how it works? I thought they were promoted.

CLAX1911

Supreme knower of all
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
http://teenangster.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/snake-handlers.jpg

Thus guy is crazy, even apes know better than to pick up snakes, hell I had a Chihuahua that wasn't the brightest creature on the planet, he did eat cigarette butts, enough to make him seriously ill but he avoided poisonous snakes.

Look at the crazy look in that dudes eyes, almost like a mad man.

These idiots are not to be consulted on health. They have less sense than a cigarette scarfing chihuahua.

CLAX1911

Supreme knower of all
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Well, your comment was very general, and the article included incidents where parents were making horrible decisions for very young children. From the article:

• Some said they had dealt with parents who felt under pressure to stop giving their young children their HIV medicine - and some had actually done so
  • Others were breastfeeding mothers with HIV who refused the medicine that would stop the virus being passed onto their babies

They dance with poisonous snakes, they aren't very bright.

shrubnose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Very sad, but true. While I defend these people's right to practice their religion, this, to me, is totally wrong and shouldn't happen.

This is a life and/or death issue.

shrubnose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Any preacher who is preaching against science and logic should be thrown out of the church.
Christianity isn't afraid of knowledge. Only knownothings are

Hospitals owned and operated by various Christian groups all over this planet use the latest medical technology and science to help a lot of people.

It is only the far right, Flat-Earther, evangelicals who deny and try to ignore science, as we see on these forums every day.

Andalublue

Hello again!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
So what I think is that this story is slanted in a way of its title to try to make the religious seem to be trying to trick gays into dying to those who see the article but only skim headlines.

These are predominantly churches preaching to African migrant communities. I think the vast majority of the HIV patients being dealt with here would not be gay.

KevinKohler

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I always find it odd that somehow God made the world but he didn't help in making modern drugs?

I'm not the one vilifying modern medicine, this particular Christian sect is.

TacticalEvilDan

Shankmasta Killa
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
They dance with poisonous snakes, they aren't very bright.

I don't care how "bright" they are. They can dance around with a mouthful of cyanide for all I care.

Just so long as they don't pressure young people to do the same, or pressure parents to force their children to follow suit.

Top Bottom