• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hitler's phone sold for $243,000 at US auction

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From the BBC

A telephone used by Adolf Hitler during World War Two has been sold for $243,000 (£195,744) at a US auction.

The identity of the buyer, who bid by phone, has not been revealed. The bidding in Chesapeake City, Maryland, started at $100,000.

The red phone, which has the Nazi leader's name engraved on it, was found in his Berlin bunker in 1945.

Soviet soldiers gave it to British officer Sir Ralph Rayner as a souvenir shortly after Germany surrendered.

The phone was sold by auction house Alexander Historical Auctions.

Auction house officials said the phone was a "weapon of mass destruction", as it was used by Hitler to give orders that took many lives during the war.

COMMENT:-

I wonder about exactly what sort of sexual satisfaction the winning bidder gets whenever the fondle their new phone.

If I'd have a spare $250,000, I'd have bought the damned thing solely so that I could grind it down into powder and dump it in a cesspool (although I might have some qualms about polluting the cesspool).

From the BBC

A telephone used by Adolf Hitler during World War Two has been sold for $243,000 (£195,744) at a US auction.

The identity of the buyer, who bid by phone, has not been revealed. The bidding in Chesapeake City, Maryland, started at $100,000.

The red phone, which has the Nazi leader's name engraved on it, was found in his Berlin bunker in 1945.

Soviet soldiers gave it to British officer Sir Ralph Rayner as a souvenir shortly after Germany surrendered.

Auction house officials said the phone was a "weapon of mass destruction", as it was used by Hitler to give orders that took many lives during the war.

I wonder about exactly what sort of sexual satisfaction the winning bidder gets whenever the fondle their new phone.

If I'd have a spare $250,000, I'd have bought the damned thing solely so that I could grind it down into powder and dump it in a cesspool (although I might have some qualms about polluting the cesspool).

Maybe they are just a collector of military memorabilia?

From the BBC

One has to wonder why anyone would bring up sexual satisfaction in the context of Hitler's phone. It would be better if you preview your posts first.

Why am I seeing the Verizon guy saying "can you exterminate me now"?

From the BBC

I have no love for Hitler, but I could understand completely why some history buff or military artifact collector would pay a lot of money for something with such historical significance. I've been in a collectors house who had old weapons and a helmet and other stuff from Nazi soldiers as well as stuff from other militaries from numerous other wars. I'm not a collector or even really a history buff but still found it fascinating.

From the BBC

If I had it to spare and bought that phone I'd probably donate it to the Holocaust Museum.

Man, those Nokias last forever.

From the BBC

I do not know that something disturbing necessarily is involved.

I mean, it was a phone used by Hitler, it's legitimately a historical item.
Could be a collector or even a museum.

A pretty interesting piece of history. I hope whomever won the bid will loan to a meusem instead of a private collection

It is a part of history. And a powerful reminder that what happened is a real, physical thing, not just words being past down. A reminder that the tools of mundane life can be used to accomplish atrocities.

From the BBC

That must have been a phone he used in Germany.

What about all the phones he used in Argentina?

I do not know that something disturbing necessarily is involved.

I mean, it was a phone used by Hitler, it's legitimately a historical item.
Could be a collector or even a museum.

I'll buy that theory when the owner of the telephone makes their identity public.

Until that time I'm content with the conclusion that the telephone will be installed on some private alter and be worshipped as a direct line to St. Adolf.

I'll buy that theory when the owner of the telephone makes their identity public.

Until that time I'm content with the conclusion that the telephone will be installed on some private alter and be worshipped as a direct line to St. Adolf.

If true, that is both disturbing and...morbidly hilarious?

Back
Top Bottom