• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

History's most important invention

Writing and language are two different things, but I still don't think they would be considered inventions. They were evolutionary skills in communication. The invention of writing tools may qualify though.

Writing is the most important one ever. Since some civilizations had writing and some didn't, it's not an evolutionary thing, it's an invention.
Language is an evolutionary thing, that is true. Writing is an invention.

it is the invention of writing (an alphabet, grammar rules, attach meaning to words, etc) that allowed civilizations to advance and prosper. it is why civilizations that never had writing never developed past a primitive either hunter/gatherer society or at most, an agricultural one.

1. beer
2. glass bottle
3 refrigerator

.....then

4. fire
5. bbq grill

Not sure either of these could be considered an invention, but here goes. :peace:

Would walled cities be considered an invention? China built the great wall to deter invaders.

Or the discovery that animals could be used for things other than food? The first horse to pull a sledge with more weight on it than a human could manage would have been a fanastic invention, and the first bovine used in plowing a field would have revolutionized farming.

A bone sharpened to become a needle would have been invaluable, and using sinew from animals as thread could have been used to sew up wounds from animal gores and other accidents.

Contact lenses.

I still think the wheel was among the all-time best.

The point being that it remains. It may be that the author overlooks the relative rate of such devolution.

Cooking requires no further development, hence the absence of any.

I don't think the author considers the invention of cooking "devolution" and he seems to know enough about caloric intake and the changes in metabolism it can cause to give his theory credibilty even without the evidence of cooking campfires 1.9 million years ago.

After all, you are what you eat.

Going on personal experience lately - Bag Balm.:mrgreen:

Fire isn't an invention, it's a discovery. On the invention side, probably the wheel.

I figured posters would assume I was talking about starting and harnessing our own fires.

Last edited:
I think the obvious one is fire. But what's next?

beer duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no seroiusly,watch the history of beer.math writing civilization etc were all by products of maans desire to get drunk.math was learned to calculate beer and grain production,writing was used most commonly at first for recording beer production,and towns and cities formed to be close to farms for beer.

it makes sense too,most water was undrinkable then,and beer was,even though the boiling process killed the bacteria that made water unsafe,it would take thousands of years before they found that out.beer was even used as medicine,showing ancient egyptian beer recipies producing antibiotics similiar to today,though again they were too stupid to know why,but simply knew it did.

Back
Top Bottom