• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

History refuses to cooperate with Obama in the Middle East

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
by Paul Mirengoff in Egypt
August 21, 2013

Muslim Brotherhood, Obama Foreign Policy

The Washington Post rarely delivers great news to my door step. Today is an exception, although it’s not clear that the Post recognizes it as such.

Here’s the Post’s lead headline: “Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood appears at risk of falling apart.” And here’s the opening paragraph of the story by Liz Sly and Mary Beth Sheridan:

The world’s most influential Islamist movement is in danger of collapse in the land of its birth — its leaders imprisoned, its supporters slain and its activists branded as terrorists in what many are describing as the worst crisis to confront Egypt’s 85-year-old Muslim Brotherhood.​

This is enough to make my day, but it gets better:

Meanwhile, the movement is battling a level of popular hostility perhaps unprecedented in its history. The Brotherhood’s strategy of confronting the government with sit-ins and marches in recent weeks seems only to have inflamed public opinion.​

It’s one thing, and a good thing, for the military to be routing Islamofascists. It’s another thing, and a brilliant thing, if the Egyptian public has turned against them.

There will be more twists and turns in this saga, and some of the them undoubtedly will be unhappy. But if you can’t find the good in the current rout of the Muslim Brotherhood, then you may be on the wrong side.

Speaking of which, let’s note that the past seven years have produced two major instances in which an Arab population turned on Islamofascists — Iraq in 2007 and Egypt this year. In both case, Barack Obama took positions that made (or would have made) these outcomes unlikely.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
History refuses to cooperate with Obama in the Middle East | Power Line

It seems that Obama put his money on the wrong horse.

Last edited:

So self determination via democracy is something we shouldn't foster?

Obama put his money on Democracy. The Egyptians picked their own leader. Trying to assert that Obama was rooting for Morsi is just dishonest.

Yes, because clearly Morsi was Obama's guy :roll:

StillBallin75, everything bad that has ever happened in history is Obama or Clinton's fault. Get it straight. C'mon. I expect better of you. Black Plague? Obama. Fall of Rome? Clinton. Every loss during the Revolutionary war? Clinton. Vlad the Impaler? Obama.

Everything bad and I mean EVERYTHING bad that has ever happened in history is Obama or Clinton's fault. Now, drink your kool-aid.

by Paul Mirengoff in Egypt
August 21, 2013

Muslim Brotherhood, Obama Foreign Policy

The Washington Post rarely delivers great news to my door step. Today is an exception, although it’s not clear that the Post recognizes it as such.

Here’s the Post’s lead headline: “Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood appears at risk of falling apart.” And here’s the opening paragraph of the story by Liz Sly and Mary Beth Sheridan:

The world’s most influential Islamist movement is in danger of collapse in the land of its birth — its leaders imprisoned, its supporters slain and its activists branded as terrorists in what many are describing as the worst crisis to confront Egypt’s 85-year-old Muslim Brotherhood.​

This is enough to make my day, but it gets better:

Meanwhile, the movement is battling a level of popular hostility perhaps unprecedented in its history. The Brotherhood’s strategy of confronting the government with sit-ins and marches in recent weeks seems only to have inflamed public opinion.​

It’s one thing, and a good thing, for the military to be routing Islamofascists. It’s another thing, and a brilliant thing, if the Egyptian public has turned against them.

There will be more twists and turns in this saga, and some of the them undoubtedly will be unhappy. But if you can’t find the good in the current rout of the Muslim Brotherhood, then you may be on the wrong side.

Speaking of which, let’s note that the past seven years have produced two major instances in which an Arab population turned on Islamofascists — Iraq in 2007 and Egypt this year. In both case, Barack Obama took positions that made (or would have made) these outcomes unlikely.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
History refuses to cooperate with Obama in the Middle East | Power Line

And, he refuses to cut off aid to the GOOD GUYS! You guys on the right are a riot. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

So self determination via democracy is something we shouldn't foster?

Obama put his money on Democracy. The Egyptians picked their own leader. Trying to assert that Obama was rooting for Morsi is just dishonest.

What Democracy? Obama promoted Muslim Brotherhood Democracy, that Egyptians refuse to follow?

What Democracy? Obama promoted Muslim Brotherhood Democracy, that Egyptians refuse to follow?

O'rly?

You can find evidence where Obama was stumping for the Muslim Brotherhood and just the Muslim Brotherhood?

Please, link reputable sources where Obama was campaigning for the Muslim Brotherhood. Because I see plenty of articles where Obama was pushing for the Egyptians to have their own democracy but made no noise at all about the candidates until after the election was concluded.

StillBallin75, everything bad that has ever happened in history is Obama or Clinton's fault. Get it straight. C'mon. I expect better of you. Black Plague? Obama. Fall of Rome? Clinton. Every loss during the Revolutionary war? Clinton. Vlad the Impaler? Obama.

Everything bad and I mean EVERYTHING bad that has ever happened in history is Obama or Clinton's fault. Now, drink your kool-aid.

Hey, you really reach back there. Here I thought according to the Obama history, everything is Bush's fault even though Obama's been President for more than four years. Oh, I forgot now he blames it on Congress but not his majority in the Senate.

Hey, you really reach back there. Here I thought according to the Obama history, everything is Bush's fault even though Obama's been President for more than four years. Oh, I forgot now he blames it on Congress but not his majority in the Senate.

Could be. I didn't vote for Obama.

Obama’s Jewel of Denial​

By George Neumayr

His Islamophilia contributed to the mess in Egypt.

At the root of America’s disastrous policy on Egypt lies Obama’s Islamophilia, a stance which leads him to mistake friends for enemies and enemies for friends. Even at this late date, he can’t make the most basic distinctions between pro-American Egyptian military leaders and anti-American Islamic terrorists. His foreign policy rests not on America’s interests but on politically correct prattle about a non-existent Islamic spring.

According to Senator Patrick “Leaky” Leahy, the Obama administration has suspended aid to Egypt. Naturally, the GOP’s reflexively interventionist busybodies support this decision. “For us to sit by and watch this happen is a violation of everything that we stood for,” babbled Senator John McCain on CNN’s “State of the Union.” What exactly is “everything that we stood for”? Egging on the Muslim Brotherhood? Delivering up a U.S. ally of three decades to a jihadist mob? Protecting democratically elected terrorists who once in power moved to destroy democracy and persecute Christians?

The truth is that Egypt’s military deserves a bonus for beating back the Muslim Brotherhood. If U.S. aid has in fact gone into that effort, it is money well spent. It is certainly more constructive than any of the asinine international projects McCain normally endorses.

“America cannot determine the future of Egypt. That’s a task for the Egyptian people,” Obama said last week. “We don’t take sides with any particular party or political figure. I know it’s tempting inside of Egypt to blame the United States or the West or some other outside actor for what’s gone wrong.”

[Excerpt]

Read more:
The American Spectator : Obama

The people of Egypt have rejected Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood. That 3:00 AM phone keeps ring and Obama is not answering. He's too busy playing golf.

Back
Top Bottom