• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

History of Russian Savagery, From 1600's to today.

FWIW, I, for one, am not doing that, seeing how it's not even necessary IMO.

In the currently prevalent geo-political scenario one can, depending on where one stands, support or condemn Kremlin behavior and actions, but using the OP's BS as a basis for said condemnation is the sure-fire method of disqualifying oneself completely.

Just as the OP has done from post #1.

That's the only thing worth addressing and thus pointing out.

How do you explain the willingness of way too many Russians being willing to accept the wholesale lying of Putin as regards his little war of ego in Ukraine, and their willingness to go along with his crackdown on the media such that there is basically zero independent news reporting in that nation at this point?

How do you explain the willingness of way too many Russians being willing to accept the wholesale lying of Putin as regards his little war of ego in Ukraine, and their willingness to go along with his crackdown on the media such that there is basically zero independent news reporting in that nation at this point?
Same way I explain the successful brain-washing of the majority of the German population from before 1939, all the way to 1945.

What I don't do in that process is hanging it all up on some constructed ethnic feature (in the OP even a totally fallacious one)and I suggest you don't do that either.

Americans accepted the wholesale lying of the US government regarding numerous “wars of ego” such as Iraq over the years, and for the better part of fifty years went along with the lie that our actions during the Cold War were “to defend freedom”.

Nationalism makes people do stupid thing.

The Asiatic/Oriental nature of the Russian people, from the steppes on eastward, did not really ever go away. Russia never really joined the West. See, e.g. The Orientalist: Solving the Mystery of a Strange and Dangerous Life was about Lev Nussenbaum, a Jewish author from Baku, Azerbeijan, and books written by him, including Blood and Oil in the Orient: My childhood in Baku and my hair-raising escape through the Caucasus and Stalin: The Career Of A Fanatic by Essad Bey a/k/a Lev Nussenbaum, and Putinism: Russia and Its Future with the West by Walter Laqueur.

Russia has tried, on a few occasions, to look westward, towards Europe and even rebelling America during and after the Revolutionary War. Peter the Great built St. Petersburg, a port city that always looked to trade. Czar Catherine the Great had a dalliance with major authors of her day, such as Diderot. But the hordes of the steppes were never far behind. As detailed by authors in the early 1900's, such as Essad Bey, the soul of the country was exceeding backwards. When Stalin took over, he wasted no time in fomenting the Holodomer, a planned famine that killed millions of Ukrainians. Does what Putin is doing look so novel?

Perhaps that's why the descendants of so many Russians call America home.
They have always aspired to be more than they are capable of.

Back
Top Bottom