• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

History Game

I presume it's Long Tan, and it was 6th RAR, and 1st ATF I think too, though i could be wrong on that one, the song is I Was Only 19, by Redgum (best song about Vietnam to come from Australia, that and Khe Sahn, by Cold Chisel)

It was D company, 6RAR, which was part of 1ATF.

One of my bestest friends was an American chopper pilot that flew ANZAC's in and out of Vung Tau.

Last edited:
It was D company, 6RAR, which was part of 1ATF.

One of my bestest friends was an American chopper pilot that flew ANZAC's in and out of Vung Tau.

I knew it was something like that, military designations confuse me :mrgreen:

I do some volunteer work with a veteran, and he says you Yanks came in handy once or twice :mrgreen: He was on one of the artillery batteries that helped out at Long Tan.

Who won the Wars of the Roses, Yorkshire or Lancashire?

Neither, the two opposing factors finally kissed and made up, and founded the Tudors.

Which is the only cathedral in England to have been completed within the life of it's architect? And who was this architect?

Neither, the two opposing factors finally kissed and made up, and founded the Tudors.
More or less. It was a slight trick question. The Wars of the Roses wasn't fought between the two counties of Yorkshire and Lancashire, but between the two rival factions of the Plantagenet dynasty, the Houses of York and Lancaster. Interestingly, the armies of the Lancastrians usually comprised mostly recruits from Yorkshire and the North of England. Those of the Yorkists tended to be from the South and East. You're right though, neither side can be said to have 'won'.

Which is the only cathedral in England to have been completed within the life of it's architect? And who was this architect?[/QUOTE]

Sir Frederick Gibberd's Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King in Liverpool? Completed in 1967, Gibberd died in 1984.

Where in time is Carmen Sandiego?

Maybe it said the only Anglican cathedral. MCCK Liverpool is an RC cathedral.

Could've been, or possibly Baroque architecture, 'cause that's what the show was about, I should've paid more attention :3oops:

Could've been, or possibly Baroque architecture, 'cause that's what the show was about, I should've paid more attention :3oops:

Okay, mooooving on....

Who were the antagonists in the War of the Triple Alliance? No wiki-peeking now!

The rules of the game are whoever guesses or knows the correct answer to the question or clue given below must then post a new question for others to answer and whoever answers correctly must then post a new question and so on. The only stipulation is the questions have to history related.

Clue: This man was a lawyer and held a high postition in the US government. His body is interred at Arlington National Cemetary. Who is he?
Ridiculous question, geared toward those who cannot read,
but who remember every picture they have ever seen.

images
[/QUOTE]

Andalublue said:
What came to an end on Tuesday, May 29th, 1453?

The Roman Empire.
W-e-l-l-l now: I guess if the empire itself plus Gibbon affect to use the name "Roman"
then it is excusable for anyone else to do likewise.

However, the truth is that the empire which fell in 1453 was not in any real sense "Roman",
it was Greek, and is known most accurately to history as the Byzantine Empire.

W-e-l-l-l now: I guess if the empire itself plus Gibbon affect to use the name "Roman"

However, the truth is that the empire which fell in 1453 was not in any real sense "Roman",

That's right. It could and did trace its roots way back before the time of Constantine the Great, but was pretty unrecognisable from the Empire of Julius Caesar, Augustus et al. The answer, "The Roman Empire" would be good for a point in any quiz. "The Byzantine Empire" would have got 2 points.

Name withheld to avoid embarassing nitwin questioner said:
Which king has been killed by monkeys and then has been succeeded by his father?
No king was killed by monkeys, not any more than Catherine the Great
was killed by a horse who, uh, er, fell on her. Some legends are crazy.
Crazy, and not worth repeating in a serious forum. It is difficult for
so many people to keep from making a joke of everything, so much so
that they make jokes of themselves.

Name withheld in order to avid embarassing nitwit responder said:
Alexander the Great.
Amazingly wrong.

Even the great stupid douchbag of the ages Oliver Stone could not get it
that wrong!

It is not known waht AG died of, but it was not from anything to do
with monkeys, and his father died long before he did, and he did not
have a single successor, he had many successors.

Who won the Wars of the Roses, Yorkshire or Lancashire?
The House of Lancaster won, because its last claimant,
Henry VII (Tudor) defeated and killed the House of York's
last claimant, the reigning King Richard III.

After killing R3 H7 made the brilliant political move of marrying
the senior York female, thus uniting the two houses, and by
their issue (via Henry VIII) establishing the Tudor dynasty.

Thanks for the corrections, Mr. Smarty Pants, they were interesting, however are you saying that King Alexander of Greece didn't really die from the infection of a monkey bite and if so, then what did he die of? And since it's a "history game", you might want to try and answer the last question posed by Andalublue as well. And if you can or just get lucky, then you get to ask a new question for someone else to answer. And I for one will be sooo looking forward to that.

"Who were the antagonists in the War of the Triple Alliance? No wiki-peeking now!"

Last edited:
The House of Lancaster won, because its last claimant,
Henry VII (Tudor) defeated and killed the House of York's
last claimant, the reigning King Richard III.

After killing R3 H7 made the brilliant political move of marrying
the senior York female, thus uniting the two houses, and by
their issue (via Henry VIII) establishing the Tudor dynasty.

Again, correct in part. Henry Tudor was not a member of the House of Lancaster, his mother was, but title inheritance worked through the male line. It is also disputed that the Battle of Bosworth was actually a part of the Wars of the Roses. Many argue that the WotR ended with the Battle of Tewksbury in 1471, when King Edward defeated the forces of Queen Margaret and Prince Edward, son of Henry VI. The Prince, the final, legitimate Lancastrian claimant, died at the battle and the readeption of Henry VI was reversed.There was then 12 years of peace under the inspirational and woefully under-appreciated Edward IV. His brother's usurpation of the throne in 1483 and his removal 2 years later had relatively little to do with the struggle between York and Lancaster, as there was no legitimate Lancastrian pretender left. Henry Tudor's swift move to marry Elizabeth of York was designed to lend his usurpation legitimacy. He then spent most of his reign obsessed with consolidating that legitimacy, very much as Henry IV had done a hundred years previously.

The WotR was a dynastic struggle within the House of Plantagenet. With the victory of Henry Tudor the crown passed away from the Plantagenets entirely and the Tudor dynasty began.

Actually, the name Byzantine was not in use until more than a century AFTER the fall of Constantinople in 1453. It was called the Roman Empire not only by the empire itself and its citizens, but also its neighbors.

That's right. It could and did trace its roots way back before the time of Constantine the Great, but was pretty unrecognisable from the Empire of Julius Caesar, Augustus et al. The answer, "The Roman Empire" would be good for a point in any quiz. "The Byzantine Empire" would have got 2 points.

I would accept either answer equally and I explain to my students the origin of the name Byzantine and the fact that it was actually known as the Roman Empire up until the time of its demise in the 15th century.

Okay, mooooving on....

Who were the antagonists in the War of the Triple Alliance? No wiki-peeking now!

I wikipeeked, no-one else was answering, it was Paraguay Vs. Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay.

Which Roman Emperor was referred to as the bald adulterer?

I wikipeeked, no-one else was answering, it was Paraguay Vs. Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay.

Which Roman Emperor was referred to as the bald adulterer?

Julius Caeser.

Back to the War of the Triple Alliance. What US President is extremely popular in Paraguay for mediating in that nations favor in a land dispute after the War?

Julius Caeser.

Back to the War of the Triple Alliance. What US President is extremely popular in Paraguay for mediating in that nations favor in a land dispute after the War?

Caeser wasn't an emperor though.

Harry S. Truman

In 1917, Pershing is reputed to have said this as the United States arrived in France during World War 1.

Julius Caeser.

Rutherford B. Hayes.

Who were the antagonists in the Battle of Manzikert?

Back
Top Bottom