• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

(Historic recording) Miss Florence Nightingale

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Miss Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing, is my favorite female hero.

She was in every sense a genuine lady.

I was thrilled some years back when I was able to actually hear her voice.

She made a very short recording some years before she died in 1910.

By coincidence, I came across it today on YouTube.

So I just wanted to let you history buffs know about it.

Simply google: Florence Nightingale's voice YouTube

(Excuse this senior citizen in his dotage who does not know how to link.)

(Excuse this senior citizen in his dotage who does not know how to link.)

I was just telling my students about her the other day when we were talking about germs and handwashing.

Here's how you insert a video:

Click the "insert video" icon.

Screenshot (121)_LI.jpg

Go to your Youtube video and highlight the web address at the top. Right-click on it and "copy". Come back to here and right-click and paste the link to the video into the box that pops up. Click okay and it will be there in your post.

Screenshot (123).jpg

Thank you, Teacher Josie, for that information.

But being in my dotage, it is too much for me to understand. This is one dog that cannot learn new tricks!

I hope that your students are thrilled when they hear her voice.

Hopefully, your students are NOT like the students of one cynical teacher who once told me: "Heck, my students would not get excited even if Ms. Nightingale herself walked into the room!"

Have a nice day!

Thank you, Teacher Josie, for that information.

But being in my dotage, it is too much for me to understand. This is one dog that cannot learn new tricks!

I hope that your students are thrilled when they hear her voice.

Hopefully, your students are NOT like the students of one cynical teacher who once told me: "Heck, my students would not get excited even if Ms. Nightingale herself walked into the room!"

Have a nice day!

It's all about story-telling. Kids WILL and DO get excited about history (about anything, really) when you bring it alive with the story instead of making it boring. I always show Night at the Museum at the end of the year because it has so many historical characters in it that we have learned throughout the year. I love it when they see Lewis, Clark and Sacagewea at the beginning and they get excited because they know exactly who they are.

It's all about story-telling. Kids WILL and DO get excited about history (about anything, really) when you bring it alive with the story instead of making it boring. I always show Night at the Museum at the end of the year because it has so many historical characters in it that we have learned throughout the year. I love it when they see Lewis, Clark and Sacagewea at the beginning and they get excited because they know exactly who they are.

Have you ever heard of the series " Horrible History"? Might be something your kids love.

Back
Top Bottom