• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

Crunch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By Alan Gomez, USA TODAY
Arizona's tough new immigration enforcement law is fueling an exodus of Hispanics from the state seven weeks before it goes into effect, according to officials and residents in the state.
Though no one has precise figures, reports from school officials, businesses and individuals indicate worried Hispanics — both legal and illegal — are leaving the state in anticipation of the law, which will go into effect July 29.

Schools in Hispanic areas report unusual drops in enrollment. The Balsz Elementary School District is 75% Hispanic, and within a month of the law's passage, the parents of 70 students pulled them out of school, said District Superintendent Jeffrey Smith. The district lost seven students over the same one-month period last year, and parents tell Smith the Arizona law is the reason for leaving.

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law - USATODAY.com

Looks like the new law is having the desired effect. Now if they would just do the same (enforce our current laws) on a national scale, the problem would be solved. Good job Arizona.

Looks like the new law is having the desired effect. Now if they would just do the same (enforce our current laws) on a national scale, the problem would be solved. Good job Arizona.

What problem did it solve again? Was the purpose just to kick Hispanics out of the State then? Cause that's the effect and you claim that's the desired effect. Kicking Hispanic people out. Where, pray tell, do you think they're going? Mexico? Back home? To another US state? And what, pray tell, do you think is the root cause of the acceptance of illegal immigration. Oh sure, some of us like to run our mouths; but how many are willing to pay the price at the grocery store or on lawn care or the numerous other ways we've exploited illegal immigrants to get cheap labor? I dare say not as many as there are those running their mouths about this.

In the end this is our fault because we support it through our consumerism. If you don't like it, you're going to have to stop supporting it. But while there are people pretending to be big, telling these people to go home, or thinking we need to get tough on it; most of those people would not accept a disruption to their everyday life for it.

If this is illegal immigrants leaving the state, then that's good. If this is legal immigrants or natives that are leaving the state because they're afraid of being discriminated against, then that's bad for everyone involved

The desired effect is to chase away hispanics? :confused:

I thought it was about illegal immigrants. According to the story, the exodus is not limited to illegals.

Speculation is that the legal immigrants that are leaving fear that they are guilty of aiding and abetting a crime....... in other words, they fear they will be prosecuted for helping their friends and relatives to come here ILLEGALY. As they should be.

I don’t care if others leave, that is their choice….. I do care that the ILLEGAL ALIENS are leaving, that is what the law was intended for.

What problem did it solve again? Was the purpose just to kick Hispanics out of the State then? Cause that's the effect and you claim that's the desired effect. Kicking Hispanic people out. Where, pray tell, do you think they're going? Mexico? Back home? To another US state? And what, pray tell, do you think is the root cause of the acceptance of illegal immigration. Oh sure, some of us like to run our mouths; but how many are willing to pay the price at the grocery store or on lawn care or the numerous other ways we've exploited illegal immigrants to get cheap labor? I dare say not as many as there are those running their mouths about this.

In the end this is our fault because we support it through our consumerism. If you don't like it, you're going to have to stop supporting it. But while there are people pretending to be big, telling these people to go home, or thinking we need to get tough on it; most of those people would not accept a disruption to their everyday life for it.

Thanx for your opinion, I disagree.

Speculation is that the legal immigrants that are leaving fear that they are guilty of aiding and abetting a crime....... in other words, they fear they will be prosecuted for helping their friends and relatives to come here ILLEGALY. As they should be.

I don’t care if others leave, that is their choice….. I do care that the ILLEGAL ALIENS are leaving, that is what the law was intended for.

So you don't care how many innocents get caught up so long as you can get after your percieved threat. And you're willing to use any and all government force necessary to accomplish the job; against the innocent and guilty a like. Nice, real nice. Fascism, just so you're aware, never ends any place good. Sure right now you're going after the hispanics, but you've no guarantee it will stop with that group.

Thanx for your opinion, I disagree.

I know you do. You seem to favor draconian, large, and intrusive government while taking no personal responsibility for any of your actions. In sort...a neo-con.

Man, I remember when conservatives stood for small, responsible government and people owning up to their actions and the consequences there of. Ahhh the good ol' days.

Speculation ain't worth dick if it ain't sourced. Just sayin'.

Nothing in your article that I see backs that claim. You got something to back it up? It sounds...far fetched to say the least.

Nothing in your article that I see backs that claim. You got something to back it up? It sounds...far fetched to say the least.

Hispanics are leaving and he's happy is all. Claims that to be the point of the law...force out the hispanics. There's no proof of anything he claims, like the law actually working. So I guess the whole goal was nothing more than to force hispanics out. Maybe we can make happy fun camps for them instead.

If this is illegal immigrants leaving the state, then that's good. If this is legal immigrants or natives that are leaving the state because they're afraid of being discriminated against, then that's bad for everyone involved

If they are afraid of being discriminated against, that is the fault of those that didn't read the law before screaming it was discrimanatory..... read it, it isn't.

They are either going home, or to a sanctuary city...... those cities are welcome to them. As soon as their economies collapse, they too will enact legislation to move them on..... soon they will have no where else to go but home. Mission accomplished.

I think this is a reporter in search of a conclusion. 70 people? wow.... :roll:

If they are afraid of being discriminated against, that is the fault of those that didn't read the law before screaming it was discrimanatory..... read it, it isn't.

They are either going home, or to a sanctuary city...... those cities are welcome to them. As soon as their economies collapse, they too will enact legislation to move them on..... soon they will have no where else to go but home. Mission accomplished.

The mission was to run out legal citizens? At least we can understand why they waited to post census to do this...

I really don't see who else the law requiring proof of citizenship is going to target. Are they going to ask white people for proof they're not illegal immigrants from Sweden? They have every reason to be afraid the law will be used against the hispanic populace.

Assuming these are ALL illegal immigrants, and not legals or natives that are afraid of discrimination.

So you don't care how many innocents get caught up so long as you can get after your percieved threat. And you're willing to use any and all government force necessary to accomplish the job; against the innocent and guilty a like. Nice, real nice. Fascism, just so you're aware, never ends any place good. Sure right now you're going after the hispanics, but you've no guarantee it will stop with that group.

Save your hyperbole for some worthy cause. The law states that if stopped for probable cause, a persons citizenship status will be checked if the officer has reason to believe the person is not a citizen. If the person is not a citizen, that person will be turned over to the proper Federal agency for deportation.......... they won't be shot. :roll:

Or it's the fault of the legislature for making a discriminatory law. But I don't suppose that's an avenue you wish to look into even though the measured effect already is the displacement of...hispanics. Not of some generalized representation of the populace, but of hispanics. And no, it's not their fault. If the law is not discriminatory at all, yet there is this mass exodus; it is the fault of those who passed the laws and who supported the laws for not explaining the dynamics of the law.

Illegal immigration has been around for a long time. The economic collapses is not the fault of that. They were predominately taking jobs that Americans were not, so no real problem there. We exploited the fudge out of them to get really cheap crap. Well there could be a problem there if you believe in human rights; but we still got the benefit.

I know you do. You seem to favor draconian, large, and intrusive government while taking no personal responsibility for any of your actions. In sort...a neo-con.

Man, I remember when conservatives stood for small, responsible government and people owning up to their actions and the consequences there of. Ahhh the good ol' days.

Keep your personal attacks to yourself...... it doesn't help your cause.

Save your hyperbole for some worthy cause. The law states that if stopped for probable cause, a persons citizenship status will be checked if the officer has reason to believe the person is not a citizen. If the person is not a citizen, that person will be turned over to the proper Federal agency for deportation.......... they won't be shot. :roll:

What does the law consider probable cause?

Why don't you save your racism as well? The law was clearly made to force out hispanic people. People want to bitch about the government this and illegal immigrants that; but never acknowledge their own role in the problem. Y'all ****ed up and now you're just looking for places to point the finger. Lame. Deal with the consequences of our actions.

Hispanics are leaving and he's happy is all. Claims that to be the point of the law...force out the hispanics. There's no proof of anything he claims, like the law actually working. So I guess the whole goal was nothing more than to force hispanics out. Maybe we can make happy fun camps for them instead.

The ILLEGAL ALIENS have a "fun camp"...... it's called their country of origin.

Keep your personal attacks to yourself...... it doesn't help your cause.

Not a personal attack. As you can see, that was directed at the whole of the neo-con movement; not any particular individual. And it's also not a personal attack as it's true. I don't understand why people have gotten so sensitive that if they're being stupid and are called stupid, they consider it a personal attack. It's not. If I said "Crunch is an ugly ugly son of a bitch and can't do anything for himself"; that would be personal attack (I'm not saying that BTW, just using it as example). Saying that neo-cons have betrayed everything the conservative movement once stood for is not.

Last edited:
The ILLEGAL ALIENS have a "fun camp"...... it's called their country of origin.

You've not shown that you have predominately affected illegal aliens though.

I read that as using a single school district as an example to show the difference in year-to-year losses.

70 students vs. 7 students last year.

yes quite possibly, but you would think he/she could lead us to more concrete numbers.

Back
Top Bottom