• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hire an Ex-Felon and Get a Tax Credit In Illinois.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
On Saturday, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn signed a new state law which will increase the income tax credit for businesses that employ ex-offenders, according to a CBS News report on Saturday. The law, designed to assist ex-prisoners obtain employment, will give employers anywhere from $600 to $1,500 per hired-employee. At a church in Chicago’s North Lawndale neighborhood where Quinn signed the bill, supporters claim that as much as 70 percent of men from 18-to-45 years of age are ex-prisoners.

511f13ae5843e57a3cb7a9bd381c7f7f.jpg

The deal is that a company can take the tax credit for up to five years on an employee who has done prison time if the ex-prisoner is hired within three years after having been released from custody.

According to State Sen. Patricia Van Pelt – a Chicago West Side politician - 40 percent of the adult population in Illinois is an ex-felon which equates to some-four million persons.....snip~

Hire an ex-felon and get a tax credit in Illinois: New laws - Chicago Conservative | Examiner.com

They have also passed a bill that would help seal non violent ex offender's records. Hard to believe 40% of the adult population is an ex felon in Illinois. Should other states follow suit?

On Saturday, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn signed a new state law which will increase the income tax credit for businesses that employ ex-offenders, according to a CBS News report on Saturday. The law, designed to assist ex-prisoners obtain employment, will give employers anywhere from $600 to $1,500 per hired-employee. At a church in Chicago’s North Lawndale neighborhood where Quinn signed the bill, supporters claim that as much as 70 percent of men from 18-to-45 years of age are ex-prisoners.

The deal is that a company can take the tax credit for up to five years on an employee who has done prison time if the ex-prisoner is hired within three years after having been released from custody.

According to State Sen. Patricia Van Pelt – a Chicago West Side politician - 40 percent of the adult population in Illinois is an ex-felon which equates to some-four million persons.....snip~

Hire an ex-felon and get a tax credit in Illinois: New laws - Chicago Conservative | Examiner.com

They have also passed a bill that would help seal non violent ex offender's records. Hard to believe 40% of the adult population is an ex felon in Illinois. Should other states follow suit?

While I'm disappointed that Quinn has found a new way to spend taxpayer money, I do heartily support this program. I know that recidivism is very high, but I'm also sure that one reason is that ex-cons can't find jobs. Incentivizing employers to hire them can only help them -- and if they're helped? Then perhaps more of them will succeed.

No. We do not need any defined classes of "super citizens". How does this square with the constitutitonal requirement for equal protection of the law? This is simply affirmative action on steroids and geared only to helping those that have chosen to break the law at that. What is next - tax credits for hiring illegal aliens and HS dropouts? Have those in the IL gov't lost their minds?

In this economy, it seems a fiscally irresponsible time to implement such a program.

That said, I'm in favor of anything that gives ex-felons the opportunity to remain ex-felons. The fact that so few people will hire those who have been incarcerated is likely one reason that they become desperate enough to return to what they know to make a living. So yes, tax incentives to encourage employers to give felons a second chance is a good one.

As for the non-violent felons having their records sealed, I'm not sure about that. Some pretty serious stuff is considered non-violent, including B&E, burglary, car theft, embezzlement, shoplifting, etc. An employer has the right to know if the applicant who will have access to company cash has a record of theft or embezzlement, for example.

While I'm disappointed that Quinn has found a new way to spend taxpayer money, I do heartily support this program. I know that recidivism is very high, but I'm also sure that one reason is that ex-cons can't find jobs. Incentivizing employers to hire them can only help them -- and if they're helped? Then perhaps more of them will succeed.

But what of the other applicant that does not qualify for that special tax rate? Should they commit a crime to get prefered hiring treatment?

In this economy, it seems a fiscally irresponsible time to implement such a program.

That said, I'm in favor of anything that gives ex-felons the opportunity to remain ex-felons. The fact that so few people will hire those who have been incarcerated is likely one reason that they become desperate enough to return to what they know to make a living. So yes, tax incentives to encourage employers to give felons a second chance is a good one.

As for the non-violent felons having their records sealed, I'm not sure about that. Some pretty serious stuff is considered non-violent, including B&E, burglary, car theft, embezzlement, shoplifting, etc. An employer has the right to know if the applicant who will have access to company cash has a record of theft or embezzlement, for example.

How about simply not allowing that to be considered negatively unless the job is designated "crime critical", like for police, teachers and daycare workers? Does the gov't of IL hire ex-felons now?

How about simply not allowing that to be considered negatively unless the job is designated "crime critical", like for police, teachers and daycare workers? Does the gov't of IL hire ex-felons now?

Well I am not certain on State Workers.....but I know City workers that have records.

Well I am not certain on State Workers.....but I know City workers that have records.

My objection is to making a crimial record into a plus for hiring consideration. In times of high unemployment every hring plus for a felon is then likely to become a hiring minus for a non-felon. ;)

Heya Dianna. :2wave: Yep I am for the program. I don't think someones record from 20 years ago should prevent them from being able to get a job, now

7328214492_a69d04e6b0.jpg

The legislation also extends the definition of an “ex-offender” to include anyone with a criminal record except for sex offenders and credits businesses for hiring people who have been out of prison for up to three years.....snip~

They also would add these two to the law.

◾
Under current law, a 17-year-old who commits a felony is tried in adult court in Illinois. A House bill would raise the age at which an offender can be classified as a “delinquent minor” and sent to an adult court from 17 to 18.

◾
A bill will increase the penalties for anyone who submits false information to get healthcare services from a Class A misdemeanor to a Class 4 felony.

Bill would give businesses that hire ex-offenders bigger tax credits and more | Chicago Muckrakers

I do disagree with changing the law for raising the age for a minor to be tried in an adult court.

My objection is to making a crimial record into a plus for hiring consideration. In times of high unemployment every hring plus for a felon is then likely to become a hiring minus for a non-felon. ;)

Well with the way Illinois is losing businesses and people and with some of the Highest taxes in the nation. I don't mind them getting an increase for a tax deduction to hire an ex con.

Ex Convicts are the ones who have still have the most prejudice against them. If anyone is dealing with some equalities. It is those that have past records and guess what their Military Service and whatever other good they have done. Doesn't mean **** in society's eyes. Nor with the any system of government.

Class X felonies.....means no state city and or local jobs. For 99%.....leaving that who you know as the only means of getting in. Plus a host of private jobs they cannot hold.

No other group of people out there can claim discrimination more than what is done to these people. Not only do they serve the time and go thru all the **** of phasing back into society. But then lead a disadvantaged life for the rest of their life. Many committing crimes back when they were young and stupid.

No. We do not need any defined classes of "super citizens". How does this square with the constitutitonal requirement for equal protection of the law? This is simply affirmative action on steroids and geared only to helping those that have chosen to break the law at that. What is next - tax credits for hiring illegal aliens and HS dropouts? Have those in the IL gov't lost their minds?

This is Chicago; notoriously a community that has government of the criminals, by the criminals, for the criminals. There is nothing at all shocking or uprising about them taking yet another way to take the side of criminals, to the detriment of the honest, law-abiding citizens. This is exactly what one expects of Chicago politics.

This is Chicago; notoriously a community that has government of the criminals, by the criminals, for the criminals. There is nothing at all shocking or uprising about them taking yet another way to take the side of criminals, to the detriment of the honest, law-abiding citizens. This is exactly what one expects of Chicago politics.

Actually BB.....it is for the whole state not just Chicago. Now while the Democrats do have their outfit in Chicago. They Are a bit more limited with the rest of the state. Especially down South.

Moreover how many have records from when they were young Kids or adults just starting out. Also one has to remember that the Democrats are also about making money off the Laws and the System they created. That's not to say the Repubs don't do it either. Just less in a way that don't involve breaking ethics.

40% of people in Illinois has a felony conviction? Then laws in Illinois are nuts.

Under this law, can an employer advertise in job ads "only ex-felons need apply" and tell people at job interviews, "I'm sorry, but you lack a sufficient criminal record?"

Everything is a felony these days, it's hard to believe it's only 40%. A better solution is probably not to have so many laws and so many felonies in the first place.

Everything is a felony these days, it's hard to believe it's only 40%. A better solution is probably not to have so many laws and so many felonies in the first place.

Heya Ikari.....yeah and they will create some more. Over Obamacare too. They be desperate for that money.

A bill will increase the penalties for anyone who submits false information to get healthcare services from a Class A misdemeanor to a Class 4 felony.....snip~

Heya Ikari.....yeah and they will create some more. Over Obamacare too. They be desperate for that money.

A bill will increase the penalties for anyone who submits false information to get healthcare services from a Class A misdemeanor to a Class 4 felony.....snip~

More monitoring, more data basing, more felonies to ensure everyone gets run through the system. That's how a fascist big brother government works.

Someone seriously needs to burn that piece of paper. If the day ever comes when we have to evacuate the Northwest U.S. in advance of a supervolcanic eruption all the good practical proposals about how to respond to the crisis are going to be drowned out amid a sea of complaints about FEMA being unconstitutional.

It's not a law, its a tax credit. No one is being forced to hire ex-cons. And what better way to reduce recidivism than to allow ex-cons to actually get a job?

It's not a law, its a tax credit. No one is being forced to hire ex-cons. And what better way to reduce recidivism than to allow ex-cons to actually get a job?

Heya KS :2wave: .....exactly. Again there are no others in the country that are more discriminated against than those that are ex cons. Moreover.....there are many many that serve their time. Then never have any trouble with the law again. None whatsoever.

Yet are not allowed to get a really good job. Nor can they serve or work for the Country. Unless they sign some disclaimer.

It can help turn people who are net drains in terms of government resources into contributors. Plus help to reduce the social ills associated with people who have been to prison and create problems out of desperation and the need to survive. Seems like a good idea to me.

Of course, I have always been a fan of the idea of once a person serves time and is released in good standing, their records should be sealed and not mentioned again unless they return to crime, for exactly those same reasons.

It can help turn people who are net drains in terms of government resources into contributors. Plus help to reduce the social ills associated with people who have been to prison and create problems out of desperation and the need to survive. Seems like a good idea to me.

Of course, I have always been a fan of the idea of once a person serves time and is released in good standing, their records should be sealed and not mentioned again unless they return to crime, for exactly those same reasons.

Heya TM. :2wave: I would agree with you. Some who have gone back to work for the Country. Are able to do that. Get their DOCs sealed. But again they still have to sign a disclaimer.

Why does an ex-felon have more right to a job? Under this law, it appears the official policy of Illinois now is that a person with a felony conviction more deserves a job than someone who doesn't. Apparently there is concerns that only 40% of adults have felony convictions and this policy is to promote more felonies as a necessary job qualification.

Every time I read anything about Illinois I feel sorry for the dairy farmers there because they can't leave. To have an official state policy that to get a job a person should "commit a felony" - rather than "get an education" - shows just how bizarre and politically corrupt the state has become.

More people in Illinois are ex-cons or had close relatives who are than who have educations. Therefore, the politicians of Illinois have voted to penalize people who do not have a criminal record and reward those who do. I am so glad I'm out of there - BUT it the best state in the country to do criminal activities so I suppose was the ideal state for me in the past.

Back
Top Bottom