• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hillary's Veep

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I think it comes tomorrow but we can lay predictions down now.

My prediction is she will use her pick to shore up the Wall Street support aka Tim Kaine which might help her with Virginia. Other possibilities include Tom Vilsack who might help her with Iowa or Sherrod Brown to help her with Ohio.

My prediction is she will use her pick to shore up the Wall Street support aka Tim Kaine which might help her with Virginia. Other possibilities include Tom Vilsack who might help her with Iowa or Sherrod Brown to help her with Ohio.

I think Kaine is a mistake. He's too boring. As are most of her choices, she needs some life breathed into her campaign and the best choice for that is Warren.

My guess would be Cory Booker.

I think Kaine is a mistake. He's too boring. As are most of her choices, she needs some life breathed into her campaign and the best choice for that is Warren.

The last thing she needs to do is thumb her nose at her lefty base with a wall street pick. If they think its important to shore up support from ex-sanders voters, picking Kaine will piss them off something fierce. But if she's anything like her husband... she'll use that good 'ol Clinton triangulation to kick the left in the nuts and pick Kaine.

He seems like a good guy but I honestly really don't know much about his policies to know if he would be a good pick or not.

It will be someone black or Hispanic - my guess is Hispanic. She has to get the right identity on her ticket ...

The last thing she needs to do is thumb her nose at her lefty base with a wall street pick. If they think its important to shore up support from ex-sanders voters, picking Kaine will piss them off something fierce.

She doesn't need progressives, she can win without them. She is looking to sway all those center and center right anti Trump voters. Appears to be a mistake to ever think she cared about the progressive vote.

Would be a decent pick but I don't see the strategy behind him. Usually VPs are done strategically to woo a certain demographic or state.

She doesn't need progressives, she can win without them. She is looking to sway all those center and center right anti Trump voters. Appears to be a mistake to ever think she cared about the progressive vote.

There's more options of just voting for Hillary or Trump. And I'm not even talking third party. If she ****s on the progressives, which is exactly what a Kaine pick would be doing, many will stay home.

The last thing she needs to do is thumb her nose at her lefty base with a wall street pick. If they think its important to shore up support from ex-sanders voters, picking Kaine will piss them off something fierce. But if she's anything like her husband... she'll use that good 'ol Clinton triangulation to kick the left in the nuts and pick Kaine.

Kaine is who I wish was on top of the ticket. I'm not sure pulling a D Senator out of VA to be VP is a bright move either. That seat could go R in a special election.

There's more options of just voting for Hillary or Trump. And I'm not even talking third party. If she ****s on the progressives, which is exactly what a Kaine pick would be doing, many will stay home.

Only once has that happened and that was Bush/Gore in 2000. She knows that and is confident they wont stay home or vote third party or you get Trump. What she seems to forget though is twofold, millennials are progressives and she is practically a blue dog. She will be an enormous disappointment to them and could hurt the party long term. Secondly, she also fails to realize that a lot of anti Trump people are voting for Gary Johnson. Its rumored Jeb Bush and Romney will endorse him. He could make dramatic in roads this election. Third parties will probably do better this election cycle than ever before.

My prediction is she will use her pick to shore up the Wall Street support aka Tim Kaine

I think that SHE is the face to shore up Wall Street. Her VP pick needs to be someone who will pull in the Bernie supporters who otherwise, incomprehensibly to me, may move to Trump.

Would be a decent pick but I don't see the strategy behind him. Usually VPs are done strategically to woo a certain demographic or state.

I think it would be kind of like the Joe Biden pick, except in reverse. Booker's young and fresh compared to Hillary, who's been in office for years. And Booker, however you feel about his politics, is pretty universally considered to be a good guy, whereas Hillary does not have that reputation.

The Democrats would probably also be pretty confidant about winning his seat in a special election the way they might not about Sherrod Brown, Kaine, or even Warren after what happened to Kennedy's seat.

I honestly don't understand why the let her run.
She comes with sooooooooo much baggage, it just shouldn't have happened.

And IF she loses in November every progressive and Sanders supporter out there is going to be pissed. Every poll showed him beating Trump by double digits. Yet her camp maligned his supporters and called them "pie in the sky." The party will fracture.

I think it would be kind of like the Joe Biden pick, except in reverse. Booker's young and fresh compared to Hillary, who's been in office for years. And Booker, however you feel about his politics, is pretty universally considered to be a good guy, whereas Hillary does not have that reputation.

The Democrats would probably also be pretty confidant about winning his seat in a special election the way they might not about Sherrod Brown, Kaine, or even Warren after what happened to Kennedy's seat.

I disagree, more often then not, you want a boring but stable VP.
Anything more exciting than the presidential candidate is worthless, because VP's are an auxiliary that do not super important side jobs.

Why waste your better, more exciting talent in the boring role of VP.

And IF she loses in November every progressive and Sanders supporter out there is going to be pissed. Every poll showed him beating Trump by double digits. Yet her camp maligned his supporters and called them "pie in the sky." The party will fracture.

Well honestly, I think he will win, no matter who he ran against, out of the latest crop (Hillary and Bernie).
Both Bernie and Hillary don't inject excitement and aren't capable of countering his strengths.

I think Webb could of beaten him, but it's too late for that now.

I think that SHE is the face to shore up Wall Street. Her VP pick needs to be someone who will pull in the Bernie supporters who otherwise, incomprehensibly to me, may move to Trump.

There were several comparisons this morning to Trumps speech last night and Sanders speeches. They both appear angry at the "rigged system" and focused on the working people who don't care about the successful stock market. If she picks a Wall Street wonk, those people will either stay home or move Trump. They were in Sanders camp originally.

I disagree, more often then not, you want a boring but stable VP.
Anything more exciting than the presidential candidate is worthless, because VP's are an auxiliary that do not super important side jobs.

Why waste your better, more exciting talent in the boring role of VP.

Most of the time you do, but Hillary has got an enthusiasm problem, especially from the left. I think her campaign might see Booker as a way to combat this.

It probably won't work, since VP picks basically never help. But Booker doesn't seem like the gaffe prone type who could hurt either, so I imagine they'll think it's worth a try with his relatively safe Senate seat.

There were several comparisons this morning to Trumps speech last night and Sanders speeches. They both appear angry at the "rigged system" and focused on the working people who don't care about the successful stock market.

They might both be angry at the democratic deficit in US politics, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing in common between their proposed solutions to that issue. That's the bit I don't get. At all. I guess those Bernie supporters planning to vote Trump are Henrin-style 'burn the whole house down' types who don't care about solutions because they don't want one.

Back
Top Bottom