• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hillary supports racist, recall Lott

Stinger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Seems Sen. Clinton is schedule to celebrate and laud the most famous KKK'r of all. As NewsMax reports

"Byrd joined the Klan in 1943 and rose the level of Kleagle before being unanimously elected to the office of Grand Cyclops. He claims to have resigned a few months later. But in 1946 Byrd wrote the Klan's Grand Imperial Wizard to express his support.​
"Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth," the top Democrat urged. Byrd led the filibuster of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and called notorious white supremacist Sen. Richard B. Russell, who was chiefly remembered for blocking anti-lynching legislation, "my mentor." In 1972 Byrd sponsored legislation to name the Senate's main office building after Russell.
As recently as 2001, the West Virginia Democrat was still using the N-word in television interviews.
Mrs. Clinton's spokesman, Howard Wolfson, defended her tribute to the longtime racist, saying Pirro's criticism was off base.
"Sadly, Ms. Pirro continues to wage a campaign of insults and attacks instead of offering New Yorkers a positive agenda," he said, without explaining why Mrs. Clinton was honoring the one-time nightrider.

The former first lady's tribute to Byrd is sure to spark comparisons with Sen. Trent Lott, who had to resign his Senate leadership post after he praised the late Senator Strom Thurmond at his 100th birthday party."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/11/15/185205.shtml

Challenger Pirro is rightfully questioning why and especially why do it at the former home of Fredrick Douglas. Clearly this is an insult to blacks and the entire Civil Rights movement. Will their be any media outrage, any Chris Matthews drillings and demands she step down from any leadership roles, any demands she resign? NO

There is a difference between the two situations. First, I thought the whole thing with Lott was stupid. He did not deserve to have his majority status removed. He was paying tribute to a friend. People read into his statement something I know he did not mean.

Anyway, Hillary made no speech about Byrd to show that she supported his past behavior. We all have our shortcomings and Byrd does not deserve to be chastised for behavior he has apologized for. I made a racist remark when I was in the 5th grade, which was in 1979. I was reprimanded severely for it. Should I forever be shunned as a result?

Pirro is pathetic. She is losing, and she knows it. She should be keeping her eye on her criminal husband so that he won't impregnate another woman while still being married to her.

aps said:
There is a difference between the two situations. .................................

Yeah, the mainstream media will say nothing.

Stinger said:
Yeah, the mainstream media will say nothing.

Stinger, what did Hillary say about Byrd at his birthday party that would make anyone think she supported his past stances? What would be interesting about this party that it should even make the news?

Stinger said:
any demands she resign? NO
Resign as what? She's not senate majority leader, she's a senator. Since Lott didn't resign as a senator, why would she?

And before we go further down this road, Lott stepped down on his own accord:
"In the interest of pursuing the best possible agenda for the future of our country, I will not seek to remain as majority leader of the United States Senate for the 108th Congress, effective January 6, 2003," Lott, 61, said in a statement.
"To all those who offered me their friendship, support and prayers, I will be eternally grateful. I will continue to serve the people of Mississippi in the United States Senate," Lott said, indicating that he would not resign his seat from the upper house of Congress.

aps said:
Stinger, what did Hillary say about Byrd at his birthday party that would make anyone think she supported his past stances?

:rofl you think she threw him a party so she could put him down? She was honoring him and his life just like Lott.

What would be interesting about this party that it should even make the news?

About as interesting as Thurmond's party, do you see the same coverage in the mainstream press?

shuamort said:
Resign as what? She's not senate majority leader, she's a senator. Since Lott didn't resign as a senator, why would she?

Well then perhaps she should refrain from running for the Presidency since she is just as much a racist as Lott. But again where are the same calls against her that the media put out against Lott?

And before we go further down this road, Lott stepped down on his own accord:

At the vehement urging of the Democrats, so perhaps Hillary should announce she will not run for President since she is such a racist.
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/12/20/lott.controversy/

I'm sorry, I missed this the first time around:
Stinger said:
Challenger Pirro is rightfully questioning why and especially why do it at the former home of Fredrick Douglas. Clearly this is an insult to blacks and the entire Civil Rights movement.
:shock:

Pirro is right. That has got to be one of the most offensive things I've seen all week (and I saw "Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic" on Sunday!).

Stinger said:
Well then perhaps she should refrain from running for the Presidency since she is just as much a racist as Lott.
I'd get behind that, but mostly because I really don't want her to run.

Stinger said:
But again where are the same calls against her that the media put out against Lott?
Exactly. There should be a hell of a lot more outrage, especially about the Frederick Douglas thing. That's just insane.

Stinger said:
At the vehement urging of the Democrats.
Actually, both sides of the aisle were asking for Lott to step down.

The remarks -- suggesting the nation would have been better off had Thurmond been elected -- drew a strong rebuke from, among others, President Bush, who called them "offensive" and "wrong."

"I have concluded that the current controversy has completely overshadowed our efforts to expand the American dream to all Americans," Sen. Christopher Bond, R-Missouri, said in a statement Friday, announcing his support for Frist even before Lott stepped aside.

Stinger said:
:rofl you think she threw him a party so she could put him down? She was honoring him and his life just like Lott.

So what if she was honoring him? As I stated above, are you saying that Byrd should forever be black-balled because of his past? No one was black-balling Thurmond during his time in the Senate. Why should Bryd be treated any differently? It would be one thing if he did not apologize for his stance and remarks. He provided unconditional apologies. Also, Hillary did not give a speech saying anything that would indicate she supported his past racism.

The fact that you see these two instances as being equal indicates to me that you aren't very insightful.

About as interesting as Thurmond's party, do you see the same coverage in the mainstream press?

Blah blah blah blah

It's simple. The Democrats get a free pass because they are perceived as the party who supports minorities and the poor (note there is a difference between the two, just because you are a minority don't mean your poor). But the Democrats support system comes out of every taxpayers pocket in the form of the corrupt welfare system. We need to get out of a welfare state if we expect people to work for there own money and not work so they get mine.

ANAV said:
It's simple. The Democrats get a free pass because they are perceived as the party who supports minorities and the poor (note there is a difference between the two, just because you are a minority don't mean your poor). But the Democrats support system comes out of every taxpayers pocket in the form of the corrupt welfare system. We need to get out of a welfare state if we expect people to work for there own money and not work so they get mine.
I almost got whiplash from the extreme subject change there.

aps said:
So what if she was honoring him?

So what if Lott was honoring Thurmond?

As I stated above, are you saying that Byrd should forever be black-balled because of his past?

That was the media and Democrat position vis-a-vis Thrumond and Lott.

No one was black-balling Thurmond during his time in the Senate.

Since there is no such black-balling in the Senate I have no idea what you are talking about. I am talking about Lott honoring Thurmond and Clinton honoring Byrd and doing so in the home of FREDRICK DOUGLAS. Will the media treat Clinton as they did Lott?

Why should Bryd be treated any differently?

I don't think there should be any difference in how all the party's are treated. Hillary should immediately announce that she will not attempt to gain the Presidency.

It would be one thing if he did not apologize for his stance and remarks. He provided unconditional apologies.

Lott that is, and then step aside from any leadership position. So should Hillary on both accounts.

Also, Hillary did not give a speech saying anything that would indicate she supported his past racism.

How do you know what she said? She was honoring no different from Lott Honoring Thurmond. Are you trying to say that she gave a speech denouncing Byrd and his past?

The fact that you see these two instances as being equal indicates to me that you aren't very insightful.

The fact that you don't shows your partisianship. The mere fact that she insulted all those who fought for Civil Rights (Byrd led the filibusters against) by throwing this man a party in the home of Fredrick Douglas is an outrage. She owes an appology and should immediately announce that she will not seek a higher office or leadership position. Fair is fair isn't it?

Stinger said:
So what if Lott was honoring Thurmond?

That was the media and Democrat position vis-a-vis Thrumond and Lott.

Since there is no such black-balling in the Senate I have no idea what you are talking about. I am talking about Lott honoring Thurmond and Clinton honoring Byrd and doing so in the home of FREDRICK DOUGLAS. Will the media treat Clinton as they did Lott?

I don't think there should be any difference in how all the party's are treated. Hillary should immediately announce that she will not attempt to gain the Presidency.

Lott that is, and then step aside from any leadership position. So should Hillary on both accounts.

How do you know what she said? She was honoring no different from Lott Honoring Thurmond. Are you trying to say that she gave a speech denouncing Byrd and his past?

The fact that you don't shows your partisianship. The mere fact that she insulted all those who fought for Civil Rights (Byrd led the filibusters against) by throwing this man a party in the home of Fredrick Douglas is an outrage. She owes an appology and should immediately announce that she will not seek a higher office or leadership position. Fair is fair isn't it?

First of all, Stinger, if you look at my first post in this thread, I said I thought that the whole thing with what Lott said was stupid. I really did. Certain people put meaning into his words that I know he did not intend, even subliminally.

Second of all, I would LOVE for Hillary to say she won't run for president. I don't like her. But you should like her because if she ran, your party would win. She is not a winnable candidate for president. In fact, I honestly do not think that we are ready for any female president (well, I am not ready, as I know of no female I would want to be president).

Stinger said:
Well then perhaps she should refrain from running for the Presidency since she is just as much a racist as Lott. But again where are the same calls against her that the media put out against Lott?

Stinger said:
At the vehement urging of the Democrats, so perhaps Hillary should announce she will not run for President since she is such a racist.

Got proof?

ANAV said:

Republicans have had control of the Legislative branch for 11 years and the Executive branch for 5 years and the welfare system is still taking your tax dollars.

Stinger said:

Do you?

aps said:
In fact, I honestly do not think that we are ready for any female president

Off topic (kinda)
IMHO..No matter what people say publicly, when they go to the voting booth they won't vote for a female at this time.

aps said:
First of all, Stinger, if you look at my first post in this thread, I said I thought that the whole thing with what Lott said was stupid. I really did. Certain people put meaning into his words that I know he did not intend, even subliminally.

I'm glad you did, my comments have been directed at those that didn't and in particular the Democrats.

Second of all, I would LOVE for Hillary to say she won't run for president. I don't like her.

This is a good reason she shouldn't, support me.
But you should like her because if she ran, your party would win.

I have no party, I vote Rep Dep Lib and Ind.

She is not a winnable candidate for president.

OH don't you think so. She has an excellent chance of getting the Democrat nomination. And if she does she has a huge vote just based on emotion.

In fact, I honestly do not think that we are ready for any female president (well, I am not ready, as I know of no female I would want to be president).

Why would you think that? I can think of many women for whom I would vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger

Quote:

BWG said:
Got proof?

I apply the same standard as applied to Lott.

Stinger said:
I'm glad you did, my comments have been directed at those that didn't and in particular the Democrats.

This is a good reason she shouldn't, support me.

I have no party, I vote Rep Dep Lib and Ind.

OH don't you think so. She has an excellent chance of getting the Democrat nomination. And if she does she has a huge vote just based on emotion.

Why would you think that? I can think of many women for whom I would vote.

I do not agree that she has an excellent chance of getting the nomination. I believe that Mark Warner, the former governor of Virginia, will seek the nomination. He is incredibly popular here in Virginia (80%).

Hillary is out.

I am just not interested in having a woman president right now. I don't even know if I can articulate why--it just doesn't remotely appeal to me. So which women would you vote for? This sounds like it will be interesting....

aps said:
This is the exact quote from Sen. Lott:
"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."
Since Thurmond had explicitly supported racial segregation Lott's remarks were explosive. Trying to make Hillary out as someone who wrote that she was proud of Sen. Byrd when he was in the KKK is a lie. It's not a lie that Lott said he was proud of Thurmond when he ran as a racist.

If someone is so blinded by prejudice against Democrats that they're too stupid to understand the difference then, I guess, they are as stupid as this thread is.

aps said:
I do not agree that she has an excellent chance of getting the nomination. I believe that Mark Warner, the former governor of Virginia, will seek the nomination. He is incredibly popular here in Virginia (80%).
Sorry Warner's ONLY chance is to be Hillary's Veep. Warner has ZERO foreign policy experience among other shortcomings that will prevent him from winning the nomination.

Think of it this way? If Warner is the Veep for Hillary and then the Dems carry VA in the '08 election and Hillary only wins the same states as Kerry did she's elected...Interesting scenario, don't you think?
aps said:
Hillary is out.
I completely and thoroughly disagree. Hillary is a lock to get the nomination, and I think she's got as good a chance as anyone in America of being elected our 44th President.
aps said:
I am just not interested in having a woman president right now. I don't even know if I can articulate why--it just doesn't remotely appeal to me.
I'm not understanding why you would use gender as a litmus test? With all due respect I find it degrading to women to blanketly state that "America's nt ready for a woman President." Shocking, actually...

26 X World Champs said:
Sorry Warner's ONLY chance is to be Hillary's Veep. Warner has ZERO foreign policy experience among other shortcomings that will prevent him from winning the nomination.

Think of it this way? If Warner is the Veep for Hillary and then the Dems carry VA in the '08 election and Hillary only wins the same states as Kerry did she's elected...Interesting scenario, don't you think?

But I dont want her as president! *Throwing self on ground and kicking*

What foreign policy experience does she have?

I completely and thoroughly disagree. Hillary is a lock to get the nomination, and I think she's got as good a chance as anyone in America of being elected our 44th President.

I just don't see it happening.

I'm not understanding why you would use gender as a litmus test? With all due respect I find it degrading to women to blanketly state that "America's nt ready for a woman President." Shocking, actually...

But I am a fellow chick, so I can say those kinds of things. ;)

aps said:

Her guy was President for 8 years...lots of osmosis.
aps said:
But I am a fellow chick, so I can say those kinds of things. ;)
One's gender has nothing to do with being wrong, sorry, or anything to do with eliminating anyone from consideration because of their gender, or color, or religion etc.

Every night before I go to bed I say my prayers and I ask God to please let "The Ice Princess" Hillary get the democratic nomination for prez in 2008......

Stinger said:
Quote:

Quote:

quote=BWG
Got proof?

Stinger said:
I apply the same standard as applied to Lott.

QUOTE=George W. Bush
The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch. (Laughter.)

whitehouse release

So, by your standards, Bush is a racist? :confused:

26 X World Champs said:
aps said:

Her guy was President for 8 years...lots of osmosis.

One's gender has nothing to do with being wrong, sorry, or anything to do with eliminating anyone from consideration because of their gender, or color, or religion etc.

Osmosis? I highly doubt that anyone would believe that such causes her to have foreign policy experience.

I cannot help how I feel, and I stand by what I said.

aps said:
Osmosis? I highly doubt that anyone would believe that such causes her to have foreign policy experience.
Agreed...

This gives you an indication of how unintelligent "osmosis" would be...

GWB has sent his entire life with someone(His father) who was...

A) A member of the House of Representatives
B) Chairman of the RNC
C) Ambassador to the United Nations
D) Director of the CIA
E) Vice-President
F) President

This was all within a range from 1966 until 1993...

It seems certain members will turn their back on their own "osmosis" theory when it comes to someone they don't approve of, but when it comes to their own partisan wishfuls, "osmosis" reigns supreme...:roll:

Back
Top Bottom