• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hillary Names A White Guy As Running Mate: Supporters Unhappy

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
This is where identity politics fails. There's no such thing as a white black brown red male female gay straight bi cis and trans gendered person who one can name as one's running mate. There's no way to pander to all the fragments of the Democratic coalition using that. The best one can do is name a self deprecating white male who is shot through with white guilt and grovels before every other identity group.

But that's not good enough these days.

This is where identity politics fails. There's no such thing as a white black brown red male female gay straight bi cis and trans gendered person who one can name as one's running mate. There's no way to pander to all the fragments of the Democratic coalition using that. The best one can do is name a self deprecating white male who is shot through with white guilt and grovels before every other identity group.

So you're saying she's playing identity politics because she didn't play identity politics? Or are you saying that you're upset she didn't play identity politics?

The permutations of sex and race are great, keeping American voters concentrated on the important things of the world and away from unimportant stuff like economics and international security.

So you're saying she's playing identity politics because she didn't play identity politics? Or are you saying that you're upset she didn't play identity politics?

Lowdown doesn't get upset.

He's simply told to act upset by whatever far right wing blog he happens to be perusing at that particular moment.

It just doesn't matter any more. We are in for four more years of a government that works against people who want liberty.

Seems to me that Hillary Clinton chose a man who is much more admired and respected than she is by those other than the Democrat fringe. In fact, Governor Kaine is a man many on the right wish was a Republican.

As such, the pick of Kaine is a brilliant play. He will not impact one bit suppressing the Democrat vote for Clinton and he will, greatly in my view, increase the Independent vote she will receive as well as the vote of many moderate and center right Republicans who will never vote for Trump/Pence.

Lowdown doesn't get upset.

He's simply told to act upset by whatever far right wing blog he happens to be perusing at that particular moment.

Yea that's my bad. I was thinking there was like... A good reason or something.

Hillary is probably done at this point.
Doesn't matter who she picks.

Pretty clear that her 'safe' choice of a moderate Dem indicates she's very comfortable with her chances of winning.

If she were worried at all about it, she'd have gone with Warren or Brown or someone like that.

Seems to me that Hillary Clinton chose a man who is much more admired and respected than she is by those other than the Democrat fringe. In fact, Governor Kaine is a man many on the right wish was a Republican.

As such, the pick of Kaine is a brilliant play. He will not impact one bit suppressing the Democrat vote for Clinton and he will, greatly in my view, increase the Independent vote she will receive as well as the vote of many moderate and center right Republicans who will never vote for Trump/Pence.

So she did the same thing as trump. Picked a vp that would moderate her and make her try to look better.
She still has to deal with being her.

That is a huge hump that no vp could overcome.

Wait, why are you blaming her for playing identity politics, when she didn't do that?

So she did the same thing as trump. Picked a vp that would moderate her and make her try to look better.
She still has to deal with being her.

That is a huge hump that no vp could overcome.

Both are unacceptable top-of-the-ticket choices for large portions of the electorate. In my view, Kaine offers far more stability than Pence does. In fact, Clinton, for all her flaws, offers far more stability than Trump does. All in all, Clinton/Kaine offers a far more "safe" bet than Trump/Pence will.

The outcome will reflect what Americans want and feel. Are Americans concerned about the instability of the world? I'd say yes. Are they prepared to put America's near term future in the hands of a clearly unstable Donald Trump? I say no, not at all, but we'll see. It's possible that many Americans may see Donald Trump as an America First isolationist who will withdraw America within its borders. That may be appealing to some and perhaps many. It would be dangerous, in my view, but my view doesn't matter as a Canadian. In my view, Trump offers an opportunity to seal America's borders, both physically and economically. We'll see how many Americans want to withdraw from the rest of the world going forward.

Prior to the conventions, I thought Clinton was on the road to winning handily in the electoral college vote. After this past week, I think the odds of her winning in a landslide are even higher. And just to be clear, that thought makes me nauseous.

All the crap coming out and the stuff about to come out.
I think she's over and done with.

Just my opinion.

What crap? She has taken the hit on the emails, and with the convention, and Trump is still even to a little behind. What else do you think is going to happen? The wikileaks **** no one but Sandernistas and Trump people care about?

Kinda surprised she didn't pick a gender-neutral illegal alien tranny who couldn't speak english.

What crap? She has taken the hit on the emails, and with the convention, and Trump is still even to a little behind. What else do you think is going to happen? The wikileaks **** no one but Sandernistas and Trump people care about?

Yep.
You can disagree.

We'll have to see how it plays out.

Pretty clear that her 'safe' choice of a moderate Dem indicates she's very comfortable with her chances of winning.

If she were worried at all about it, she'd have gone with Warren or Brown or someone like that.

I disagree with your analysis. People play it safe when they are scared. There are three groups that she wants: the blacks, the Bernie supporters, and the coal miners (and other workers that mine other fossil fuels). She already has the blacks. She doesn't need to do anything for them. They are already voting for her. She figures she'll end up carrying most of the Bernie supporters through the lesser of two evils doctrine. She needed the coal miners. Tim Kaine supports the coal miners.

I would say it was her safest choice. As far as whether or not she's "comfortable with her chances of winning," she has access to the same polling data anyone can look at. You tell me.. should she be worried?

Both are unacceptable top-of-the-ticket choices for large portions of the electorate. In my view, Kaine offers far more stability than Pence does. In fact, Clinton, for all her flaws, offers far more stability than Trump does. All in all, Clinton/Kaine offers a far more "safe" bet than Trump/Pence will.

The outcome will reflect what Americans want and feel. Are Americans concerned about the instability of the world? I'd say yes. Are they prepared to put America's near term future in the hands of a clearly unstable Donald Trump? I say no, not at all, but we'll see. It's possible that many Americans may see Donald Trump as an America First isolationist who will withdraw America within its borders. That may be appealing to some and perhaps many. It would be dangerous, in my view, but my view doesn't matter as a Canadian. In my view, Trump offers an opportunity to seal America's borders, both physically and economically. We'll see how many Americans want to withdraw from the rest of the world going forward.

Prior to the conventions, I thought Clinton was on the road to winning handily in the electoral college vote. After this past week, I think the odds of her winning in a landslide are even higher. And just to be clear, that thought makes me nauseous.

Clinton is in a tie with trump with trump having a slight lead but not enough.
What will help decide the election is the debates.

Stable and felony Clinton are not two word I would put together.

Some of her supporters are unhappy because she named a white male. No matter who she names there are people who will be unhappy because they are used to being pandered to by means of their ethnic identity.

Wait, why are you blaming her for playing identity politics, when she didn't do that?

I'm not blaming her for playing identity politics. People in her base are miffed because she didn't. Identity politics and culture wars are the basis for her coalition now. There's a lot of disaffection for her among the base because she's not exactly the best person to appeal to minorities and left wingers. They are the ones who handed her a defeat in 2008.

Some of her supporters are unhappy because she named a white male. No matter who she names there are people who will be unhappy because they are used to being pandered to by means of their ethnic identity.
Is that what the article says? It is on a pay wall for me.

I haven't heard any of her supporters say they don't like him cause he's a white male. I've heard nothing but policy reasons as to why any of them don't like him. Can you quote the part that shows how her supporters are upset he's a white male?

Clinton is in a tie with trump with trump having a slight lead but not enough.
What will help decide the election is the debates.

Stable and felony Clinton are not two word I would put together.

I could be dead wrong about this election, but my gut tells me that there isn't a hope in hell that Trump is the next President.

He's not a Blue Dog, but he's more than good enough for me. As for Republican voters, perhaps a small number of Republican politicians and "beltway" Republicans, but not much else. Many Republican politicians have the unenviable position of throwing out Johnson's name, while being turned off by a substantial portion of the Libertarian Party's platform-whatever that may be. I suspect a number of them will secretly pull the lever for Clinton (perhaps the Bush's), but won't ever dream of saying so publicly. Republicans have been so convinced that Donald Trump is the same sort of evil as Clinton that politicians that know better can't say it. They have to divert Trump votes by way of Johnson.

Last edited:
I'm not blaming her for playing identity politics. People in her base are miffed because she didn't. Identity politics and culture wars are the basis for her coalition now. There's a lot of disaffection for her among the base because she's not exactly the best person to appeal to minorities and left wingers. They are the ones who handed her a defeat in 2008.

Why do you like taking "a couple people say something", and try and make it out to be "this group is saying something"?

Edit: oh, and your OP linked to a page to subscribe, not to the story itself. Hover your mouse over the link to see.

Back
Top Bottom