• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hillary Demands Obama stop TRUTH spreading

easyt65

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hotline On Call: Falling On Geffen Ears

Hillary Clinton's campaign apparently didn't take too kindly to the harsh rhetoric from L.A. music mogul David Geffen, courtesy of today's Maureen Dowd. Geffen, who is backing Barack Obama, called Bill Clinton "reckless" and clearly is still upset that Clinton didn't grant a pardon to cause celeb native American Leonard Peltier. More Geffen: "Marc Rich getting pardoned? An oil-profiteer expatriate who left the country rather than pay taxes or face justice?"

Clinton chief spokesperson Howard Wolfson, in a release this a.m., is "demanding that" Obama "disavow personal attacks" from Geffen.

While one might accurately call Geffen's comments 'sour grapes' as a result of raising some $18 Mil for the Clintons and then getting his request of a pardon for a fellow celeb denied, he makes a good point -an HONEST/TRUTHFUL point - that Clinton could not pardon fast enough an oil-profiteering buddy who fled the country.

Now it seems Hillary is abit peeved that anyone connected to a political opponent in an up-coming race bring up any 'dirty laundry'. If Ms. Clinton REALLY wants to run for President in '08, she better grow some thicker skin in a hurry because she and her husband perpetrated many more - and much worse - scandals than pardoning a fugitive from justice, and I guarantee those will be brought up in the up-coming campaigns! Also, Hillary needs to realize that candidates don't even have to LIE - she and 'Slick Willey' have provided enough REAL ammo that the hardest thing an opposing candidate will have to face is picking which of the many scandals to bring up!

UPDATE: Maureen Dowd Column Incites Hillary-Obama War of Words

Then Obama's team fired back.

"Everybody in politics lies, but they [the Clintons] do it with such ease, it’s troubling,” Geffen had said.

Obama's team responded a few hours later. Communications director Robert Gibbs just released the following statement:

“We aren’t going to get in the middle of a disagreement between the Clintons and someone who was once one of their biggest supporters. It is ironic that the Clintons had no problem with David Geffen when was raising them $18 million and sleeping at their invitation in the Lincoln bedroom. It is also ironic that Senator Clinton lavished praise on Monday and is fully willing to accept today the support of South Carolina State Sen. Robert Ford, who said if Barack Obama were to win the nomination, he would drag down the rest of the Democratic Party because he's black."

[Memories about reports from of some remark Hillary about Jews when 'they' were President seems to come to mind now for some reason....Hmmmmm.]

Once again, and now Obama this time, the TRUTH of the matter is pointed out, much to Hillary's displeasure, like her praising and embracing a racist like Floyd. Hillary and Slick Willey were OK with Geffen, having him hang out in the Lincoln bedroom, when he was raking in millions for them, but NOW they have a problem with him when he points out a few facts.

Oh, and the race hasn't even heated up good yet! I can't wait to watch this develop further!

(Remember the old Clinton 'personal attack' machines? When you ticked off a Clinton, they were like the mob - they would come after YOU, your FAMILY, your friends - they wouldn't stop until they totally destroyed someone. While Geffen and Obama have struck 'first blood', I wonder if Hillary will be able to resurrect the ol' machine her husband had back in the day and if Geffen and Obama had better watch out?!) :shock:

Please please please don't let Hillary get the nomination. Who the hell likes her? Ewwwwwwwwwwwww

She was so promising too...

oh well

OBAMA IN '08!!!

Isn't this hilarious. They are BOTH playing by the Clinton playbook and Obama is winning.

I do not think that Obama needs to condemn Geffen's statements. Geffen's statements were based upon his own interaction with the Clinton's, and Geffen is entitled to his opinion.

I do not think that Obama needs to condemn Geffen's statements. Geffen's statements were based upon his own interaction with the Clinton's, and Geffen is entitled to his opinion.

That is a tactic the Clintons have used forever, guilt by association and everyone is attacking us, when in fact they are attacking everyone else.

My favorite part was when Obama was wondering why he has to apologize for someone else's actions. I love that guy.

My favorite part was when Obama was wondering why he has to apologize for someone else's actions. I love that guy.

His campaign handled this brilliantly. I bet it put the Clinton campaign into a tizzy seeing what they were up against.

While I am not a fan of Baracks political leanings, I'll give him his due when it comes to making people look foolish. He won't get my vote, but the Democratic primaries might actually be entertaining.

While I am not a fan of Baracks political leanings, I'll give him his due when it comes to making people look foolish. He won't get my vote, but the Democratic primaries might actually be entertaining.

And these are just the opening feints and jabs!!!

His campaign handled this brilliantly. I bet it put the Clinton campaign into a tizzy seeing what they were up against.

You know what it is? He's just so nice. The other politicians can't handle it and it just makes them look like jerks. I like it, even if I don't agree with his economic policies.

I agree. It's a valid question. The article in the Wash Post today mentioned how someone who donated $$ to Hillary's campaign had made a comment about Obama not being a good president or not getting the nomination because of the color of his skin. Apparently, Hillary condemned that comment. Frankly, I find that comment different than Geffen's opinion, which is based on his personal relationshop with the Clinton's, versus a sexist/racist remark.

From my experience on the Kerry forum, I think there is some potential for a raucus Democratic convention the likes of which we haven't seen since I was a teenager.

Hillary is DLC. She is an insider. Her candidacy is based upon political machinery rather than charisma.

Obama is extremely charismatic and is not an insider. His candidacy indicates he did not wish to bide his time while he was "groomed" by the same machinery, and so in a way he has already broken ranks.

There is a big split in the Democratic rank and file between the DLC supporters who view the best way to appeal to voters is through moderation, and the anti DLC folks who are more likely to be antiwar and who want a more stand-up and less calculated candidate whoisalso farther left.

I can see the latter causing quite a rucus if Obama is running neck and neck with Hillary and they perceive the workings of the democratic insiders as working against Obama.

You know what it is? He's just so nice. The other politicians can't handle it and it just makes them look like jerks. I like it, even if I don't agree with his economic policies.

I think thats the key for him, is to come off as the guy who doesn't get caught up in attacking the other person, but rather exposing their attacks on him as childish, and unimportant in the arena of ideas. Whether this is strategy or just the kind of guy he is, is not as important as the perception of him coming off as the more mature candidate that wants to stand on merit and ideas.
He's not going to need to stoop to mud-slinging and that could go a long way for him. I think if him and Guiliani were running against each other, it could be one of the better political debates about true issues in this country, since neither are behelden to our three previous administrations in any way, other than the name of their respective parties.

I think thats the key for him, is to come off as the guy who doesn't get caught up in attacking the other person, but rather exposing their attacks on him as childish, and unimportant in the arena of ideas. Whether this is strategy or just the kind of guy he is, is not as important as the perception of him coming off as the more mature candidate that wants to stand on merit and ideas.
He's not going to need to stoop to mud-slinging and that could go a long way for him. I think if him and Guiliani were running against each other, it could be one of the better political debates about true issues in this country, since neither are behelden to our three previous administrations in any way, other than the name of their respective parties.

Oh my god, I love Guiliani! Gawd, I hope they don't run against each other, I would have no idea who to vote for.

Hillary cracks me up...........She says she does not want to get into the politics of personal destruction.....Of course she wouldn't with all the baggage she has...She ain't seen nothing yet........

Of course, Hilary (if she is the nominee) will expect that kind of stuff from the Republican candidate -- I think she is right to say that inner party attacks (though I don't think this really was one)...should be avoided.

That said...I hope that this election is about the issues for once and not about smear jobs. I think it will be. If either Guiliani, McCain or Romney get the nomination I don't think they will engage in the type of smear tactics that we have seen in the last two presidential elections. First of all, I don't think Karl Rove will be a player...or at least not as big of one and these tactics are his forte. Additionally, I think all of the 3 Republican front-runners have a lot more integrity than GWB and would not allow as much of that type of campaigning.

Of course, Hilary (if she is the nominee) will expect that kind of stuff from the Republican candidate -- I think she is right to say that inner party attacks (though I don't think this really was one)...should be avoided.

She'll be leading them, it's the Clinton playbook.
That said...I hope that this election is about the issues for once and not about smear jobs.

She will and should face the same scrutiny as everyother candidate as far as her background and previous endeavors.

I think it will be. If either Guiliani, McCain or Romney get the nomination I don't think they will engage in the type of smear tactics that we have seen in the last two presidential elections.

She and her campaign will be leading them.

First of all, I don't think Karl Rove will be a player.

But Carville and Begalla will be.

..or at least not as big of one and these tactics are his forte. Additionally, I think all of the 3 Republican front-runners have a lot more integrity than GWB and would not allow as much of that type of campaigning.

What did Bush "allow" that has you so upset?

Back
Top Bottom