• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hillary Clinton Warns Against Government Shutdown.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Hillary Rodham Clinton warned congressional Republicans on Tuesday that there would be consequences if they pursue a government shutdown to circumvent President Barack Obama's health care law, saying it "wouldn't be the worst thing for Democrats."

Clinton said Obama's sweeping health care law was "a very important step forward" to provide affordable coverage and reduce the cost of health care across the nation. Recalling her husband's first term in the White House, the former first lady suggested that congressional Republicans faced blame after the government shutdowns that marked the political fights of the mid-1990s and could face a similar judgment from voters.

1580713b3df552203e0f6a7067008e81.jpg

The former secretary of state and potential 2016 presidential candidate spoke shortly before Obama joined with former President Bill Clinton here to discuss the implementation of the health care law. The annual meeting brings together political, business and philanthropic leaders from around the globe during the start of the United Nations General Assembly.

"This president is not going to agree to defund health care. We're on the path to beginning the implementation. If they want to shut the government down, that's on their head and they're responsibility," she said. "And if they go even further, which is deeply distressing, and for the first time lead our country into a default on our obligations, that is not just partisan politics that is going at the heart of our credibility around the world.".....snip~

Hillary Clinton warns against government shutdown
Associated Press – 1 hr 34 mins ago

Usually she avoids partisan politics the piece says.....but just this time she opens her mouth to speak, huh? See this is where Hillary starts having those Delusions of Grandeur. Out and about and amongst friends. Again if people don't want to see her running they have to show up wherever she is. Pics of the dead from Benghazi. Bullhorns with the Bit about her not checking up on her people after talking to someone to find out what was going on. Then call outs on do we really want a Leader that doesn't care about her own people. Eager to sacrifice the blood of others. While never having put any into the game.

Looks at that grin on Bilbos face. He spotted something out in the crowd he likes.....huh?:2razz:

....Usually she avoids partisan politics the piece says.....but just this time she opens her mouth to speak, huh? See this is where Hillary starts having those Delusions of Grandeur....

Hillary is beating all the potential contenders in the polls .....all of them....

RealClearPolitics - 2016 Presidential Race

:)

A shutdown could lead to,in the event of say an embassy being attacked,not having the capability to protect those inside. Oh wait. We had that under her reign. Without any faux "shutdown".

It seems the "Government shut-down" is being over-hyped. The last time it happened (thanks to a veto by her husband, might I add), the two parties were willing to come together to create a budget surplus. With the way politics has been the last few years, maybe this is inevitable to get the two sides to stop screwing around and actually get to work on what they claim is their primary concern.

I don't think it would be the worst thing that's ever happened.

You can tell a liberal politician is feeling their liver quiver when they get loud, brash and laugh. BTW Bill Clinton later took credit for the results of the shutdown. If there is a shutdown it will be because the Democrats decide to have one. If it is more important to them to defund everything in the government in order to cement an unpopular health care law that is already driving insurance costs up exponentially, causing millions to lose 1/4 or more of their work hours and will still fail to cover everyone then we will have a real understanding of where their priorities lie, that being with their power rather than the will of the people.

In fairness,I can imagine Obama in a "shutdown"scenario,telling the military and security(except his own)to stand down. He just does not give a damn.

You can tell a liberal politician is feeling their liver quiver when they get loud, brash and laugh. BTW Bill Clinton later took credit for the results of the shutdown. If there is a shutdown it will be because the Democrats decide to have one. If it is more important to them to defund everything in the government in order to cement an unpopular health care law that is already driving insurance costs up exponentially, causing millions to lose 1/4 or more of their work hours and will still fail to cover everyone then we will have a real understanding of where their priorities lie, that being with their power rather than the will of the people.

Why do you blame Obamacare for the rise in part time workers? There was a rise but it happened after the Great Bush Recession and has been trending lower for years. You Republicans are the most gullible patsies I have ever encountered. Do you just believe every thing bad about Obama without any research OF YOU OWN? Those types are usually called SHEEP. I mean it you guys give new meaning to the meme "a sucker is born every minute"

071113aca-600x425-thumb-570x403-130033.jpg

Why do you blame Obamacare for the rise in part time workers? There was a rise but it happened after the Great Bush Recession and has been trending lower for years. You Republicans are the most gullible patsies I have ever encountered. Do you just believe every thing bad about Obama without any research OF YOU OWN? Those types are usually called SHEEP. I mean it you guys give new meaning to the meme "a sucker is born every minute"

To bad that doesn't count the increase in illegal immigration and their added numbers.....moreover with the Unions and other Democrats coming out telling Obama to hold off. Pretty much shows what the lollypop factory is all about.

Like I've said before you can tell a liberal is scared when they puff up and get all haughty on you. I'm talking about employers cutting workers back to under 30 hours to avoid the new costs. My biggest supplier now has 30 part time employees. You'd have to be pretty disconnected from reality to not see that happening. They started doing this in anticipation of implimentation in order to cement heir position as "primary" employers for those who will choose to work two jobs. It allows them to dictate the schedule without having to compromise. I don't know what your level of emersion is in the private market, but I live it. I'm a small business owner and do business with a lot of other small businesses and some that are not so small. This law is a job killer. I would say you know it, but I don't think you do. What do you do for a living? Just curious about your perspective.

Like I've said before you can tell a liberal is scared when they puff up and get all haughty on you. I'm talking about employers cutting workers back to under 30 hours to avoid the new costs. My biggest supplier now has 30 part time employees. You'd have to be pretty disconnected from reality to not see that happening. They started doing this in anticipation of implimentation in order to cement heir position as "primary" employers for those who will choose to work two jobs. It allows them to dictate the schedule without having to compromise. I don't know what your level of emersion is in the private market, but I live it. I'm a small business owner and do business with a lot of other small businesses and some that are not so small. This law is a job killer. I would say you know it, but I don't think you do. What do you do for a living? Just curious about your perspective.
If an employer cuts an hour off to make the employees part time so he won't have to pay benefits...whats to stop the employees from organizing to prevent the employer from doing that?

If an employer cuts an hour off to make the employees part time so he won't have to pay benefits...whats to stop the employees from organizing to prevent the employer from doing that?

This is Georgia. It's a right to work state. And they didn't cut AN hour, they retained 2 full time managers and made all other positions, even those that had been full time to part time. There will be no such thing as overtime for these people. I suspect the 30 hour mark was set in order to keep the majority from looking for two jobs. 60 hours a week with a secondary commute would be more than most people would reach for. Those of us who would already own a business and are used to it. This iis not an unintended consequence, this is intentionally reducing the available work hours for the majority creating a larger dependent base.

And the employer is not a "he", it is OReilly Auto Parts, a large national company. What I am talking about is in just one store. The manager is not happy about it, it's orders from corporate.

It's not just O'Reilly's either.

What's to force that employer to use them, if they organize? Apparently we have enough unemployed, that if an able-bodied person walks off, there'd always be someone to replace him.

If I were owner of a business, bound by a budget and my workers unionized, that would have been their last day working for me.

This is Georgia. It's a right to work state. And they didn't cut AN hour, they retained 2 full time managers and made all other positions, even those that had been full time to part time. There will be no such thing as overtime for these people.
And the employer is not a "he", it is OReilly Auto Parts, a large national company. What I am talking about is in just one store. The manager is not happy about it, it's orders from corporate.

Utah is a right to work state, too. Here, 'Right to Work' means a union (1) can't prevent a business from hiring non union employees and (2) it can't force employees to pay union dues. But I think employees still have a right to organize (first amendment?) just not the right to stop the business from rehiring ....or something like that.

I suspect the 30 hour mark was set in order to keep the majority from looking for two jobs. 60 hours a week with a secondary commute would be more than most people would reach for. Those of us who would already own a business and are used to it. This iis not an unintended consequence, this is intentionally reducing the available work hours for the majority creating a larger dependent base.
Interesting, I hadn't looked at it that way before.

You kinda made it sound like employees are lazy or don't work as hard as some employers...but in all fairness, a lot of women in the workforce are also moms and its not they don't want to work sixty hours a week, but they do have kids they still have to care for ...which can be a full time job in itself....without pay.

What's to force that employer to use them, if they organize? Apparently we have enough unemployed, that if an able-bodied person walks off, there'd always be someone to replace him.

If I were owner of a business, bound by a budget and my workers unionized, that would have been their last day working for me.

But if all of the employees walked out, wouldn't that hurt the business? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of part time jobs (at least not where I live) and the employees could possibly find other part time work, but can the employer afford to lose months of business in order to rehire and retrain an entire workforce of 30 or more employees? And too, the business might get a bad reputation of cheating it's employees, making it more difficult to replace them. I guess it depends on the business, but I don't think a lot of businesses could afford it.

Why can't the employer can just start guiding the employees onto the new insurance exchange kinda like Walmart did and let them pay for their own insurance? That would seem like a win/win for the employees and the business owner(s) because the employees could keep their full time hours and the business wouldn't have to pay for their health insurance.

you keep posting this ignorance in thread after thread
despite having learned that your approach is unlawful
the employees, with their right of assembly, have the right to form unions at their place of work
once the employees form a bargaining unit at that work site, the employer MUST negotiate with the representative union
its only other option is to close down that work site
your approach, the illegal one, is to terminate employees only because they elected a union
that is a clear violation of federal law
you would lose your ass in court

Why do you insist on baiting me with more idiotic posts that only show your TOTAL lack of understanding of he AHC act. Business's under 50 employees are Exempt from all AHC act insurance requirements. Your supplier is even more clueless than you I'm afraid. I showed you the graph that shows part time employment exploded in 2009 due to the bush Recession and have been slowly declining ever since. Obama care has little or nothing to do with the trend.
The only scared ones are those who fear that once the reform is fully implemented it will be so well liked that there will be no way to repeal it and it will sit beside SS and Medicare as another section of the New Bill of Rights. In other words no one will DARE touch it.

Last edited:
Utah is a right to work state, too. Here, 'Right to Work' means a union (1) can't prevent a business from hiring non union employees and (2) it can't force employees to pay union dues. But I think employees still have a right to organize (first amendment?) just not the right to stop the business from rehiring ....or something like that.

Interesting, I hadn't looked at it that way before.

You kinda made it sound like employees are lazy or don't work as hard as some employers...but in all fairness, a lot of women in the workforce are also moms and its not they don't want to work sixty hours a week, but they do have kids they still have to care for ...which can be a full time job in itself....without pay.

Not a matter of lazy necessarily. But it is easier to be an employee than it is to be an owner, at least until the business has been established far enough to run itself (meaning the empoyees can handle it). I'm looking forward to that myself. I'd like a day off now and then.

But the point is if the limit had been set at 20 hours, or even 25, people would get to part time jobs and still be making about what they did before. That's why the 30 hour week raises flags for me. Even 35 would have been better, it would at least have allowed for the majority of work hours to still be available.

BTW it's not just moms who have time restrictions because of kids. My wife works in a hospital a little over 1/2 hour away and hits the gym on the way home. My son gets off the bus at my business and hangs out here for a couple of hours before we go home. If I didn't own the place I would likely have to make other arrangements for those hours. When my wife was pregnant with him she quit her rather lucritive job so she could be at home with him until he started school and then went back to school herself. It's not lazy, it's being a responsible parent and not having your kid raised in a day care. We wouldn't have been able to afford that where we lived in the Chicago burbs so we moved here to Georgia.

The long and short of it is that none of these consequences are accidental. There are hndreds (thousands if you count staffers) of law makers building these laws, they can not collectively be stupid enough to write close to 3000 pages and leave that many holes in it. The 30 hour week was not an accident and it is going to put a serious financial strain on a lot of people. The law is designed to bankrupt the insurance companies and eventually lead to a single payer system, the results being a larger government dependent base and government control of one of our biggest industries. As it is we have more people getting some sort of government assistance than we have workers in private industry. That is not a government that is looking out for our best interests.

Mornin Moot. :2wave: The Owner closing up and shop and moving his business elsewheres. ;)

We should listen to her. She knows a thing or two about what happens at our embassies when you ignore warning signs.

Why do you insist on baiting me with more idiotic posts that only show your TOTAL lack of understanding of he AHC act. Business's under 50 employees are Exempt from all AHC act insurance requirements. Your supplier is even more clueless than you I'm afraid. I showed you the graph that shows part time employment exploded in 2009 due to the bush Recession and have been slowly declining ever since. Obama care has little or nothing to do with the trend.
The only scared ones are those who fear that once the reform is fully implemented it will be so well liked that there will be no way to repeal it and it will sit beside SS and Medicare as another section of the New Bill of Rights. In other words no one will DARE touch it.

Problem is.....its all exploding under Obamacare. Again, when Democrats and their Unions Leaders are telling people there is a problem with Obamcare. It pretty much says it all. Obamcare has had nothing but setback after setback.

As far as repealing.....we have said we wouldn't repeal things before. Then turned around and repealed them. So hopefully that will set in with All the Obama gloating and thinking all is fine and that Obamcare wont be touched. Understand this......it will be taken apart piece by every damn piece.

Besides whittling it down to nothing.....

Obama hoping on the youth of the country to fund his Nightmare entitlement program.....we will see how many of them will pay in once they start losing jobs and having to switch jobs. I think Obama will discover what little money they have left......that the Last place they will be spending their money on is anything associated to him.

Let Hillary keeping poking that face out there.....that way she can remind everybody how she is no different than Obama, and that they come from the same Pod.

Last edited:
Problem is.....its all exploding under Obamacare. Again, when Democrats and their Unions Leaders are telling people there is a problem with Obamcare. It pretty much says it all. Obamcare has had nothing but setback after setback.

As far as repealing.....we have said we wouldn't repeal things before. Then turned around and repealed them. So hopefully that will set in with All the Obama gloating and thinking all is fine and that Obamcare wont be touched. Understand this......it will be taken apart piece by every damn piece.

Besides whittling it down to nothing.....

Obama hoping on the youth of the country to fund his Nightmare entitlement program.....we will see how many of them will pay in once they start losing jobs and having to switch jobs. I think Obama will discover what little money they have left......that the Last place they will be spending their money on is anything associated to him.

Let Hillary keeping poking that face out there.....that way she can remind everybody how she is no different than Obama, and that they come from the same Pod.

There is nothing "exploding" because of the AHC act except the number of insured. There will be no repeal so get used to it, it's the law.

Why do you blame Obamacare for the rise in part time workers? There was a rise but it happened after the Great Bush Recession and has been trending lower for years. You Republicans are the most gullible patsies I have ever encountered.
Businesses are now establishing specific policies to keep workers under 29 hours.
That's brand new because full time used to be 40 hours and now it's 30.

"You aint seen nothin' yet" - Al Jolson

I suspect the 30 hour mark was set in order to keep the majority from looking for two jobs. .
For the purposes of The Affordable Care Act, 30 hours is considered full time and requires the employee to be insured.
Worse yet, if the employee goes over 30 hours for just one week, he is considered full time for the next 6 months.

How much of "Obamacare" has been implemented at this point?

Hillary will do this type of thing as long as she can. Poke her head up like a sniper then not be questioned or challenged.
The less she is in the public eye the more popular she becomes. She is a brand now.

Back
Top Bottom