• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hillary Clinton to use larger podium ...

I don't see why this is an issue. She is 5'4" and he is 6'3". Appearances matter, whether it is morally right or not. I think it creates another set of problems for her. She will have restricted movement. They will be standing for at least 90 minutes. This restricts her movement to a small area where Trump can move around. If she backs up just a little she could stumble off the platform. That would be a major media moment, as stupid as it seems.

This sort of thing has been going on for quite some time. The "debates" are just song and puppet shows for the People. There's not much of substance to be found there.

Again.

A step stool with a regular size podium is understandable.

But a larger sized podium? Her upper body will look diminutive.
Maybe the article got it wrong and the smaller one is for her?

How petty.
Petty? iLOL
It's a news report reporting facts.

These debates don't happen that often, and not everybody has a memory of what came previously.

Do you remember Dukakis?

He had a smaller podium (not larger as reported for Hillary) with the step hidden by the stage's carpeting.

040930_bushDukakis_hmed_2p.hmedium.jpg

bushdukakis1-82cf85a90dad6048668dbbd25567dbc4dc3f6c24-s900-c85.jpg

So you want to take this route eh? Ok, she needs a larger podium to accommodate her needed medical devices. :mrgreen:

I was thinking that it was to hide the DNC committee feeding her the official DNC approved answers... :mrgreen:

This is all about making sure that Clinton's boobs are in the shot so that people won't forget that she's woman.

I'll be here all week...

Maybe the article got it wrong and the smaller one is for her?:

Looks to me that the podium with the step next to it is the smaller one.

I've got two comments on this one:

1. Wouldn't a larger podium make Clinton look smaller, not taller? How does a larger podium make her look taller?

2. I could see using a wider podium, to shield the size of her hips.

On CNN, they discussed that each candidate's podium was designed so that they could comfortably rest their arms on it, all decided in advance and agreed to by both campaigns. Therefore, I suspect the taller podium is for Trump, not Clinton.

Which side of the stage they are on, and who goes first, were decided by coin toss. Clinton will be stage left, Trump stage right (appropriately for both, lol). Clinton will go first.

This isn't about the poster.
It is about Hillary's decision to skew the optics.

So it is ok with you if she skews the optics?
And just as ridiculous is the MSM accommodating such a ridiculous request.

Using a step would be one thing. She's getting a custom built larger podium in order to skew the optics.

Won't a larger podium make her look smaller? I guess we'll see.

On CNN, they discussed that each candidate's podium was designed so that they could comfortably rest their arms on it, all decided in advance and agreed to by both campaigns. Therefore, I suspect the taller podium is for Trump, not Clinton.

Which side of the stage they are on, and who goes first, were decided by coin toss. Clinton will be stage left, Trump stage right (appropriately for both, lol).
Clinton will go first.

If all the speculation on her health issues is even partly correct, Clinton likely will go first.

Looks to me that the podium with the step next to it is the smaller one.
And?
That is a pre set-up photo. That is not their final resting places on stage.

But based on your observation, do you think the report is mistaken?

I just gotta say it. Those are not podiums. They are lecterns. They will be placed upon a podium. But they are lecterns.

Now you all are getting it.

Getting what? That everything said in the OP is untrue? Trump used the taller podium; Clinton used the smaller one. Clearly she didn't "demand" a larger podium to "skew the optics".

Getting what? That everything said in the OP is untrue? Trump used the taller podium; Clinton used the smaller one. Clearly she didn't "demand" a larger podium to "skew the optics".
*sigh
Sad.

You already know I pointed out to you that the article may have gotten it wrong and that the smaller of the two was for her, that is what you finally got.

Eh, I'm five-foot nothin'. I couldn't even see over a normal podium, and I wouldn't want to spend 90 minutes cracking my neck to look up at someone who's 6'3". I'd request a step stool. Really. So I don't blame her either!

And her using a smaller podium is trying to skew the optics. iLOL Just as others have done.
And she came off looking diminutive anyways. :lamo

AR-160929755.jpg&MaxW=650

A smaller person at a larger podium looks even smaller! What a ridiculous OP!

It is believed that the larger one was built at Clinton’s request to make her appear taller than she is.

Skewing the optics. Figures.
And her using a smaller podium is trying to skew the optics. iLOL Just as others have done.

So Clinton using a larger podium would have been skewing the optics and Clinton using the smaller podium is skewing the optics.

Geez, it's good to see you're not holding an absurdly stupid position on this.

Hillary Clinton to use larger podium than Donald Trump at first debate to make up for height disadvantage: report

[...]

It is believed that the larger one was built at Clinton’s request to make her appear taller than she is.

[...]

podium26n-4-web.jpg

[...]

Hillary Clinton to use larger podium than Donald Trump at first debate to make up for height disadvantage: report

Skewing the optics. Figures.

I'm sure someone has pointed this out. Fox News did a thorough explanation of rules, candidate walk-thru, agreements, etc and explained that kind of optical illusion has been created for years, thru many election cycles. They talked about Daddy Bush debating Dukakis and said Bush was criticized because the media felt he shook hands too long with Dukakis in order to give viewers an opportunity to appreciate how tall Bush was. Their podiums were adjusted just like tonight.

A smaller person at a larger podium looks even smaller! What a ridiculous OP!
iLOL
The article got it wrong, which is why I pointed out the following.

The optics would still be skewed either way, even if the article hadn't gotten it wrong as I questioned.

So Clinton using a larger podium would have been skewing the optics and Clinton using the smaller podium is skewing the optics.

Geez, it's good to see you're not holding an absurdly stupid position on this.
iLOL
You quote two different things that are not comparable.
In the first you leave out the distinction between what the article said and my comment. Not good.

The second is based on what I believed and turned out to be true.

Both would be skewing the optics with the one I believed to be true left.

Should we play another absurd game where what was already distinguished needs to be pointed out, again?

I'm sure someone has pointed this out. Fox News did a thorough explanation of rules, candidate walk-thru, agreements, etc and explained that kind of optical illusion has been created for years, thru many election cycles. They talked about Daddy Bush debating Dukakis and said Bush was criticized because the media felt he shook hands too long with Dukakis in order to give viewers an opportunity to appreciate how tall Bush was. Their podiums were adjusted just like tonight.
Of course, which is why I pointed out Dukakis's podium with images earlier.
It is still skewing the optics no matter who does it regardless if it is tradition or not. (Tradition, much of what feminists want to get rid of, except of course when it benefits them a great deal.)

But my main point of interest was how in the world the larger lectern would have benefited her.
As we can see, and as as I pointed out by question, the article may have got it wrong, and they did.

You quote two different things that are not comparable.
Both things I quoted were you saying Clinton was trying to skew optics. They were most definitely the same thing. Just because you're embarrassed by posting a source which turned out to be a lie, that doesn't excuse the fact your position is ridiculous.

In the first you leave out the distinction between what the article said and my comment.
You posted what the article said and used it as the basis to make your claim. There was no distinction.

The second is based on what I believed and turned out to be true.
Yes, and whether the article was right or what you "believed" was right, you accused Clinton of trying to "skew' the optics. In other words, no matter which podium Clinton had, you were accusing her of skewing the optics. And that's why I pointed out how stupid your position was. Even a 7 year old would understand the blatant bias you were openly displaying.

Both would be skewing the optics
So no matter what, Clinton is wrong, regardless of which podium she used, right? To quote you from the first post, "Figures".

Should we play another absurd game
You're the only one playing this game. I'm merely laughing at your undisguised partisanship. Let this be a lesson to you in not rushing to post dubious articles from the Internet just because they let you attack your political opponents.

*sigh
Sad.

You already know I pointed out to you that the article may have gotten it wrong and that the smaller of the two was for her, that is what you finally got.

And she came off looking diminutive anyways. :lamo

AR-160929755.jpg&MaxW=650

Isn't Trump using a larger podium also skewing the optics? And if both podiums come up to the respective candidates elbows, as your pucture shows, how are the optics skewed?

Trump used the larger podium because he's the larger liar. By far.

Isn't Trump using a larger podium also skewing the optics?
Obviously Trump wanted a bigger podium so he could skew the optics. Although it wouldn't have surprised me if he hadn't requested a smaller podium, in order to skew the optics. At least that's the logic which seems to have started this thread.

It certainly couldn't be that Trump had a larger podium and Clinton had a smaller podium because Trump is larger and Clinton is smaller and each candidate deserved to have a place at which they could comfortably debate.

Back
Top Bottom